Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glock for FBI? (G17M)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yes, I have. We (the public) probably won't see it till fall though.

C4
    Thanks for the insider info!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe not getting the call that my 19MOS is in stock is turning out to be a good thing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hopefully they're released before the inevitable panic buying to come the closer we get to presidential election!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmagurk View Post
    Hopefully they're released before the inevitable panic buying to come the closer we get to presidential election!

Why? It's just a pistol. Mags, dude. Stock up on mags.

Glocks were bountiful even during the First Clinton Ban. They could release them in 2020 and it still wouldn't affect anything.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Why? It's just a pistol. Mags, dude. Stock up on mags.

Glocks were bountiful even during the First Clinton Ban. They could release them in 2020 and it still wouldn't affect anything.
    I learned my lesson the hard way last time (SH). Mags and ammo it is for me this time around.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have enough Glock mags to last my children's children. Where were you after Sandy Hook? In my neck of the woods you couldn't find a Glock anywhere regardless of the model.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    -
    - Ditch the bracket rear sight for solid black, maybe widen the notch a little
    The plastic dovetail protectors Glock supplies are not sights. PS - If you want a plain black rear before you install real sights, you can sharpie out the lines or just remove the rear sight and re-install it backwards.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yes, I have. We (the public) probably won't see it till fall though.

C4
    Do you think it will still be called Gen4, or will it be Gen5?

Speaking of mags, I'm hoping whatever modifications they're making to the outside of the grip/frame doesn't lead them to having to (or deciding to) change the magazine itself. Then all those Glock mags we're all stocked up on will be irrelevant to the new design.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Do you think it will still be called Gen4, or will it be Gen5?

Speaking of mags, I'm hoping whatever modifications they're making to the outside of the grip/frame doesn't lead them to having to (or deciding to) change the magazine itself. Then all those Glock mags we're all stocked up on will be irrelevant to the new design.
    Glock may not respond to consumer demands as quickly as we would like, but I doubt that they would make such a terrible decision to change the magazines..

Besides, there is no real need to. They can play around with the ergonomics of the frame plenty without changing the geometry of the magazine well.
    Last edited by methical20; 04-28-16 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One of my favorite "Glocksmithing" books I have read is from Pat Sweeney in "Glock: Deconstructed"

In this, he goes in depth of how, in his opinion (and many others) that between Gen 2 and Gen 3 would have been the only "optimal" timeframe to do a magazine redesign/change.

Apparently, while not public, Glock has advised a lot of their dealers, around the time when Gen 3 and Gen 4 were being announced/released, who were concerned with Magazine changes that they would not be exploring alternative magazines.

The reasoning behind, why they have avoided changing mags at this point now, is because of the exact reasons represented by a couple in this forum topic. Hundreds of dollars into OEM magazines to wind up with their next, best, model not being compatible? It would destroy part of their reputation. While I am sure they could absorb the blow, without any issues, we would see a less hype/following for a newly designed Glock, at this point, because a lot of people won't want two sets of hundreds of dollars in magazines.

Their time to redesign the ergonomics (they go hand in hand with the magazine), magazine, and overall parts placement is gone. Once the gen 3 truly caught hold in the US civilian market, they lost their ability to make such large changes without losing some following. Overall though, I don't think we will see an impact large enough to remove them from the top "65% of all LEO Utilization", and such, regardless of the direction they take.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-28-16 at 10:16.

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast