Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine extensions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Magazine extensions

With an extra $75 I impulsively(without need)bought a Vang Comp mag 1 shot mag extension made for my 590A1 18.5 inch model. The extension converted it into a 6 shot. Then I bought a Wilson Combat 2 shot extension for my 18.5 inch 870, which now is a 6 shot. Scattergun technologies makes the Wilson; apparently Vang makes its own. Both are nicely machined steel pieces. The Wilson at $45 costs much less but is not cheaply made. Both kits include a spring and magazine follower. Vang's follower is machined stainless whereas Wilson's is polymer.

For a prospective buyer wanting an extension, I recommend the kit because it offers a spring fitted for tube length and has a compatible follower. The spring and follower are discounted items when bought in the kit package. I bought the Wilson from a forum member here who passed it on to me at great savings. Otherwise, I would have selected a 1 shot extension. Why? Just preference. The Wilson, though, does not extend past the 18.5 inch barrel. If I carried the 870 for a living, I'd add a barrel clamp "just because", although I can't cite a referenced need.

My 870 is a Marine Magnum made almost 20 years ago. A beautiful shotgun, it came with a 2 shot extension that's also electroless nickel. The factory extension works, but I was never happy with its two piece construction but can't cite any documented reason for my bias. So in general, why the post? I'm getting there. I've owned other extensions over the years on other 870s. I learned that not all extensions are created equal and that once more, you get what you pay for. My best tip is to buy the kit form with correct length spring and compatible magazine follower. I recommend either the Wilson or Vang product. I'm not certain that I can discern the $35 difference between the two, but I won't say that the Vang tension kit is over priced.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    My 870 is a Marine Magnum made almost 20 years ago. A beautiful shotgun, it came with a 2 shot extension that's also electroless nickel. The factory extension works, but I was never happy with its two piece construction but can't cite any documented reason for my bias.
    Over-torquing a clamp will affect feeding, and the two-piece, when incorrectly installed, can have a small gap between the magazine tube and the extension, which can catch the magazine spring and cause feeding issues. I've never actually seen it happen, but I can make it happen if I want.... neither are a big deal, but if you want to know the potential issues with a two-piece, there they are.

I have a lot of time behind the factory two-piece as well, and aside from figuring out that I over-torqued the clamp when I first got it, I've had zero malfunctions with it. I do like the Wilson better, I've run the Wilson a lot, but I recently went back to the two-piece, simply because I'm using shotguns less and less, and my biggest interest in the Wilson was in the integral sling mount. Trivial? Yep. Both have been fine for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run the Wilson 2 shot on my 870P at work with no barrel clamp and so far so good. Hardest thing for me is feeding the damn spring back into the tube when trying to put it back together

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phx31 View Post
    I run the Wilson 2 shot on my 870P at work with no barrel clamp and so far so good. Hardest thing for me is feeding the damn spring back into the tube when trying to put it back together

Doesn't the Wilson tube have a hole in it? Insert a wooden dowel or a cleaning rod through the hole and spring when putting together or taking apart. It's a lot easier than trying to push a string up a snake's ass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Huh, well dont I feel like a horse's rear end, such a simple solution. Thank you GH41, no I will look less like a goober next qual session.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Huh, well dont I feel like a horse's rear end, such a simple solution. Thank you GH41, no I will look less like a goober next qual session.

Lol... Don't feel too bad, it took me years to figure that out.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Glad I could help guys.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also recommend the current production Wilson (Scattergun Technologies) or Vang extensions whenever someone asks me about what to put on an 870. The Vangs are (IMO) more modular and well made, but the later Wilsons have been their equals functionally. I actually preferred the polymer "tailed" Wilson/ST magazine follower to the metal Vang, though I currently have a delrin S&J Hardware follower on my own HD 870P.

(It also has an S&J oversized safety and a Wilson/ST +1 extension with a QD swivel stud in the center; I was beginning to think that I was the only guy in the world who chooses to use a +1 rather than a +2.)

toc
    Last edited by theorangecat; 05-01-16 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ill never forget being at the range one day with my old trusty Winchester 1300 Riot gun, I had installed a mag extension & clamp sometime before, and it had been fired many times. This time, as I was firing as fast as I could with 00Buck...all a sudden shit flew everywhere, the extension broke off right at the knurled part where you tighten it at. Parts flew everywhere. I learned right then & there to not buy off brand shit for a serious weapon. This was many, many years ago. I still think of it whenever Im even slightly tempted to buy lesser quality.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 05-01-16 at 09:26.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Got their +2 extension as well on an 870P. I also really like Wilson's oversize safety. And their prices are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast