Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223/556-Buying bulk plinking but would like to get decent brass for future reloading

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question 223/556-Buying bulk plinking but would like to get decent brass for future reloading

As title states, buying bulk but may as well set myself up to have quality brass to reload in the future. Since atm the bulk prices are decent, where should I spend my $ to have quality consistent brass for the future.

Platform will be an AR w/ MOA capabilities out to 600 yds MAX (know that would be pushing a 20" AR w/ 60-77gr bullets loaded at max magazine length - no handfeeding), more than likely 200 would be the norm.

Off the top of my head options would be Lake City, Federal (assuming there is a difference in LC xm193 brass vs the bulk Federal 223 that is out there), Winchester, IMI, S&B, Prvi (again difference between their 556 vs 223 varieties), PMC. I think that covers it but if I missed something, please add where necessary.

Last, should I keep the brass separated down to the lot?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    Blackhills would be my first choice of loaded ammo they use reloadable Lakecity brass and it's very good ammo

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    All of the rounds you listed will be good for your purpose but I don't know that they are moa capable. I would also add Wolf Gold and CBC to your list. I shoot or have shot all of those excepts S&B and PRVI and reloaded the brass. I don't separate brass by lots.

Feedback Score
    Federal brass, FC headstamp, is soft. I won't use it for loading hunting or precision rounds. Prvi brass is OK. IMI brass has been pretty good. Winchester goes in the same bucket as FC.

When I go to load hunting or accuracy rounds, I grab the LC brass. If you want to have better brass, stick with LC, CBC and maybe the IMI.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

223/556-Buying bulk plinking but would like to get decent brass for future reloading

LC brass is what I have the best luck with other than Lapua. I find it generally far more robust than the commercial brass on the market. Agree that FC is soft as is PMC which is also thin by comparison.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-01-16 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wolf gold - super cheap and has excellent annealed brass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    All of the rounds you listed will be good for your purpose but I don't know that they are moa capable. I would also add Wolf Gold and CBC to your list. I shoot or have shot all of those excepts S&B and PRVI and reloaded the brass. I don't separate brass by lots.
    I am not thinking that the bulk I listed would be moa capable, in fact I know they are not, but I just figured that most of the m193 clones are about the same price give or take bit, so instead of buying Winchester Q3131 I would be better off to pick up some LC xm193 for what it will become after it serves its purpose at the indoor range or plinking w/ friends.

Appreciate all the feedback,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    http://ammunitionstore.com/products/...iece-case.html

Primed Wolf Gold brass at $0.13/per

Note: crimped primer

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    LC of course.

Wolf Gold is up there close.

I've also had decent luck with PMC 5.56 (NOT .223) brass with PSD head stamp. The necks are annealed and primers crimped. The primer also seats firmly when reloaded.

PRVI/PPU has worked well.

I will echo the comments on FC and Winchester. Even Winchester 5.56 brass (WCC head stamp.) That ammo is a huge waste of money. The brass is way too soft.

For the money I believe I would buy Wolf Gold.
    Last edited by Waylander; 05-02-16 at 01:12.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    I'd avoid the Prvi if you want to reload. It tends to get burrs on the heads which have to be filed down by hand. Other than that, it's OK. The best deal going on loaded ammo right now that I can find is LC XM193 from massammo.com.
    http://massammo.com/federal-5-56x45-...-ammo-can.html
    For $142.80 delivered (if you buy 4 cans) you get 420rds on strippers, a spoon and an ammo can. It's packed and sealed at the factory, not Massammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast