Thread: Reproducibility (With IMI M193)

Feedback Score

Reproducibility (With IMI M193)

Reproducibility

(A Demonstration With IMI M193)

The hallmark of a sound test methodology is being able to repeat a test and arrive at the same conclusion. As a demonstration of this, I conducted two accuracy evaluations of the most accurate lot of IMI M193 that I've come across, from my bench-rest set-up using a semi-automatic AR-15.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the IMI M193 ammunition following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest at a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest (with the aide of a forend bench-rest adapter), while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was attached to the objective-bell of the scope. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe.

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel. The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Prior to firing the IMI M193 ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using a hand-load topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing. That group had an extreme spread of 0.83”.

Four 10-shot groups of the IMI M193 ammunition were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.73”
    1.76”
    1.74”
    2.03”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.07”. The four 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 40-shot composite group. The mean radius for the 40-shot composite group was 0.62”.

Next, I repeated the test just as described above. These four 10-shot groups fired in a row produced extreme spreads of:

2.64”
    1.25”
    2.43”
    2.00”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.08”. These four 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 40-shot composite group. The mean radius for this 40-shot composite group was 0.66”.

I over-layed all eight of the 10-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The 80-shot composite group had a mean radius of 0.64”.

The 80-shot composite group . . .

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

…..
    Last edited by Molon; 05-01-16 at 13:37.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Love your reports Molon. Thanks for posting.

Feedback Score
    Well done!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick710 View Post

Love your reports Molon. Thanks for posting.

Da nada.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is this the newer IMI ammo? Have you chrono'd it?