Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver bullet

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

Silver bullet

I just bought some Tula steel .223, 55 gr. and when I opened the box the bullet was silver not copper. I sectioned one and the base is lead with a jacket made of something other than cooper, the nose has a tiny steel rod in it and is magnetic. No description on the box other the 223 55 gr. Has anyone seen this ammo. I have shot a ton of Tula steel and brass and the bullets were always copper jacket.

Attachment 39307

Attachment 39308

Attachment 39309
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 05-04-16 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    It's the same. The copper "jacket" you refer to is just an ultra thin copper coating over the bullet. Basically a cosmetic coating, not functional.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    No it is not just cosmetic. The jacket is used as a gliding material between the lead and the barrel to prevent lead fouling of the bore especially in high velocity rounds. This bullet jacket is not copper, it may be aluminum.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think what Slippers is trying to tell you is that the bullet jacket is mild steel, but in the older rounds it was coted with a thin layer of copper. The newer rounds probably use nickel. In both cases, the coating is largely cosmetic (to prevent corrosion of the base jacket).

The most recent box to Tula 9mm I bought has this jacket arrangement as well, for what it's worth.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I forgot to mention that if you take a look at German DAG 308 or old German 8mm ammo, you'll see a very similar jacket arrangement as this new Tula...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    No it is not just cosmetic. The jacket is used as a gliding material between the lead and the barrel to prevent lead fouling of the bore especially in high velocity rounds. This bullet jacket is not copper, it may be aluminum.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    I think what Slippers is trying to tell you is that the bullet jacket is mild steel, but in the older rounds it was coted with a thin layer of copper. The newer rounds probably use nickel. In both cases, the coating is largely cosmetic (to prevent corrosion of the base jacket).

The most recent box to Tula 9mm I bought has this jacket arrangement as well, for what it's worth.
    Exactly. If you take a file to one of the "copper" Tula bullets you'll find that the copper layer is razor thin, with mild steel underneath before you get to the lead core.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Exactly. If you take a file to one of the "copper" Tula bullets you'll find that the copper layer is razor thin, with mild steel underneath before you get to the lead core.
    ...hence the term "bimetal jacket".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn now I gotta find differ ammo to stockpile for werewolves.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I admit I am not an expert on bullet construction but if all Russian steel case ammo uses a steel jacket it would seem to me to backup the claim by some that it shortens barrel life. Surly a steel jacket is harder on the barrel than a all copper jacket.

Feedback Score
    The coating on the bullet is zinc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast