Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I seeking a "unicorn" of powders?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Am I seeking a "unicorn" of powders?

In an effort to keep components as cross compatible as possible, is there a powder that does a good job in a combo 556/223 & 6.5G AR15 w/ multiple bullet weights as well as an AR10 in 6.5C?

Thanks in advance for your expertise,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Am I seeking a "unicorn" of powders?

I don't know much about the 6.5C but after a quick search I'm seeing load data that uses TAC, XBR, Varget, and W748, which many people use in 5.56.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Depends on what your definition of "does a good job" is. I mean.. if you're wanting sub MOA ammo, you're probably best off finding the best powder for each gun. Or find the best powder for the one gun you want to shoot most accurately, and use that powder for practice ammo in the other guns.

I don't know crap about 6.5, but I like faster extruded powders because the work good with heavy (77s) in 5.56, and they also shoot good with light bullets. I run a lot of H322 and XBR 8208.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only one that comes to mind is either RL-15 or Varget. There is good load data for 6.5 CM with 120-125 gr bullets with Varget (it is used in some of the Hornady factory match loads), and it also works well (albeit hard to meter) in heavy 223 loads.

Unfortunately the 6.5 CM really should get a slower powder, and Varget really only works with light bullets. The ideal 6.5CM powder, and the one virtually everyone settles on eventually, is H4350.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if I want to have the best of 4 calibers using the least amount of components, Varget for the AR15 based calibers and H4350 for the AR10 based calibers (from what I listed)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are these loads for blasting or for accuracy or both? Again, I know nothing about the 6.5 but I don't think Varget would be "the best" powder for 5.56/.223. H322 is pretty good for both, IMO.

Why limit yourself? Variety is the spice of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Are these loads for blasting or for accuracy or both? Again, I know nothing about the 6.5 but I don't think Varget would be "the best" powder for 5.56/.223. H322 is pretty good for both, IMO.

Why limit yourself? Variety is the spice of life.
    It is just an effort to keep components on hand to the minimum, that's all.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    So if I want to have the best of 4 calibers using the least amount of components, Varget for the AR15 based calibers and H4350 for the AR10 based calibers (from what I listed)?
    Varget is a bad choice for ARs.

1. I meters relatively poorly

2. It's a slower powder with a bad bulk density.. which means you'll likely be compressing loads with heavy bullets if you want the round to be hot. and,

3. It'll erode your gas ports faster if you run it with light bullets. Specifically... some industry guy on another forum noted that Varget with 55 gr bullets DRAMATICALLY increased port erosion on carbine gas systems.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    It is just an effort to keep components on hand to the minimum, that's all.
    Why two eight pound jugs on the shelf are better then one.

A better bet would be to find a powder that each gun shoots best and if it happens to be the same powder good for you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think there is any argument that Varget is far from the optimal AR powder. But, it would probably be the best powder to use for both applications.

If you could buy two types, H4350 is the obvious 6.5 CM choice, and there are MANY great 5.56 powders to choose from, which has been revisited MANY times here on M4c.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast