Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I seeking a "unicorn" of powders?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Seems like multiple powders are a must to get the best performance from each setup, even possibly more than 1 powder per caliber based on bullet weight? What is the best way to ensure the powder stays dry? I live in Phx, AZ so I don't have to worry about much humidity (I think yesterday or the day before it was 5%), but we do get monsoons and that is my concern. Also, can the AR15 platform all use the same primer like CCI #41?

As stated earlier, H4350 seems like the de facto standard for the 6.5C and I will look up the primer that people seem to really like for it.

On a side note, is there a particular flash higher/brake to stay away from? Plan on the Ar15 platform to go with 16" barrels and the Ar10 platform to go with 20" barrels, or is their ballistic data that shows otherwise, but I don't want to go the NFA route.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now with the primer, would CCI #41 be a decent choice for the 223/6.5G setups or does the primer need to be matched with the powder?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
    Now with the primer, would CCI #41 be a decent choice for the 223/6.5G setups or does the primer need to be matched with the powder?
    #41s are generally way more expensive with no real upside. Matching the primer to the powder can yield huge improvements.... depending on the powder. For precision type loads, the general rule is get the mildest primer that works reliably.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    #41s are generally way more expensive with no real upside
    The same goes for Federal 205M and standard 205. It is the same primer, but the 205M are each visually inspected for the presence of an anvil. You will pay around $32 for the 205 and around $50 for the 205M...

It takes about 10 seconds to look at 100 primers in my flip tray to see if they all have anvils.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    #41s are generally way more expensive with no real upside. Matching the primer to the powder can yield huge improvements.... depending on the powder. For precision type loads, the general rule is get the mildest primer that works reliably.
    My only reason for thinking of that particular primer is I was of the understanding that it was thicker to basically reduce the chance of a slamfire. Is this not a valid concern or just marketing from CCI as safety is always my #1 concern. Are other primers just as thick with not a real concern of slamfires?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12