Thread: **Update 8/30/16** MOAR Aero M5E1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

**Update 8/30/16** MOAR Aero M5E1

I have a 18" upper that is also based on a M5E1 upper/handguard. Once it was dialed in, it was just not as much "fun" to shoot. Decided I wanted a 16" upper so I built that. I didn't think it would bother me, but I was kinda bummed when I put them next to each other and realize with the YHM QD it's close to a 18" and the 18" was closer to a 20". Made the decision to go ahead and have it chopped and pinned by ADCO. Runs great once I dialed in the gas block to run ZQ1 (underpowered ammo in my experience) it had no issue with Perfecta or American Eagle. Over all I am happy with it.

Upper Parts-

M5E1 upper with 12" Mlok handguard
    AIM Surplus Melonited BCG
    Strike Ind charging handle
    Ballistic Advantage 16" midlength modern barrel chopped to approx 14.2" pinned YHM QD FH, with gas port opened up to .100
    Seekins Adjustable gas block
    Spikes midlength gas tube
    MBUS sights
    GenI SPARC on a LaRue mount

Lower Parts-

M5 lower
    LaRue MBT trigger (KNS .155 anti rotate pins)
    LWRC ambi safety
    MIAD
    Vltor mod stock
    PSA receiver extension (currently standard carbine buffer)

Last edited by balloo93; 08-30-16 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking piece. I have considered a 14.5" build just to avoid the NFA bullcrap. I love my SBR but little things like being unable to travel out of state with your own property (without a permission slip) really suck.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Nice looking piece. I have considered a 14.5" build just to avoid the NFA bullcrap. I love my SBR but little things like being unable to travel out of state with your own property (without a permission slip) really suck.
    Yep. My wife and I have family out of state and it's a lot easier to just grab a pinned 16" than to deal with having to explain to any cop out of state that doesn't understand the law 100%. That and the ballistics of a 14" barrel aren't too bad with the .308. I thought about another SBR and doing a 12" .308.... but to hell with that.

Took it out last Sun and shot it again. This thing is a lot of fun and grouped fairly well considering the ammo and lack of bipod (approx 2" at 100). I am building another Aero M5 lower for this upper. The lower on it now will go back on my M5 18" scoped rifle. lit never ends.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
    I have a 18" upper that is also based on a M5E1 upper/handguard. Once it was dialed in, it was just not as much "fun" to shoot. Decided I wanted a 16" upper so I built that. I didn't think it would bother me, but I was kinda bummed when I put them next to each other and realize with the YHM QD it's close to a 18" and the 18" was closer to a 20". Made the decision to go ahead and have it chopped and pinned by ADCO. Runs great once I dialed in the gas block to run ZQ1 (underpowered ammo in my experience) it had no issue with Perfecta or American Eagle. Over all I am happy with it.

Upper Parts-

M5E1 upper with 12" Mlok handguard
    AIM Surplus Melonited BCG
    Strike Ind charging handle
    Ballistic Advantage 16" midlength modern barrel chopped to approx 14.2" pinned YHM QD FH, with gas port opened up to .100
    Seekins Adjustable gas block
    Spikes midlength gas tube
    MBUS sights
    GenI SPARC on a LaRue mount

Lower Parts-

M5 lower
    LaRue MBT trigger (KNS .155 anti rotate pins)
    LWRC ambi safety
    MIAD
    Vltor mod stock
    PSA receiver extension (currently standard carbine buffer)

how much did all thaqt cost?

Feedback Score

and

also, how long did it take?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am sharing the lower with my other 18" M5E1 upper. I like to wait and shop sales, so I have no idea on price. I did just pick up another M5 lower so the 16" upper will be a stand alone rifle. Aero had a memorial day sale and I got the lower for $154 shipped. Upper set was also on sale from Aero or Shuyler Arms. Time wise it's insanely easy to build.

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting on my Aero M4E1 to be built right now. Made out well on their Memorial Day sale. Already got a bunch of goodies coming but I had a quick question.

Do you like the SPARC? I've been going back and forth between the SPARC2, the Primary Arms MDS and the Vortex strikefire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Things I like about the Gen1 SPARC-
    Fairly small
    Decent price
    Dot is clear and bright
    Customer service is GREAT

Things I don't like about the Gen1 SPARC-
    Odd battery type
    Battery life is good but not great
    I put most of my rifles in soft cases and have had the thing turn on while moving the case around

Feedback Score

Aero M5E1 OAL 16" build

Quote Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
    Things I like about the Gen1 SPARC-
    Fairly small
    Decent price
    Dot is clear and bright
    Customer service is GREAT

Things I don't like about the Gen1 SPARC-
    Odd battery type
    Battery life is good but not great
    I put most of my rifles in soft cases and have had the thing turn on while moving the case around
    Thanks for the info man. Helps a lot! Awesome lookin rifle btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My other M5 lower finally came in after a nearly 3 month wait. So the new lower will host my pinned 16" upper and use a single stage ALG ACT trigger and VLTOR mod stock. The 18" will now get it's lower back with the MBT and heavier B5 stock.

Took them both out this Sun and everything went well (as expected). Picked up 2 of the Brownells 20rd mags as well. No feed issues and the BCG locked back after the last round was fired.