Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legality of Vertical Forward Grip

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BATF approves SB Tactical’s adjustable pistol stabilizing brace

There is no doubt, SB Tactical’s Stabilizing Pistol Arm Brace radically changed the US commercial market. It led to an explosion of interest in AR pistols, AK pistols and other similar pieces. People who would never bother with the paperwork to legally purchase an SBR suddenly bought an AR pistol, and then another one. The effect of the device on the market was electric.

Now SB Tactical, which is aggressively going after OEM sales with its new change in focus, has announced the BATF has approved an adjustable pistol stabilizing brace! This information was just released a couple days ago just before the NRA Show and is sure to raise some eyebrows at the possibilities. I am sure the prospects of having a collapsible stabilizer will appeal to many. Check out SB Tactical’s announcement below:

http://www.alloutdoorstech.com/news/...ilizing-brace/

Edit: forgot to add, we WON ONE!
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 05-22-16 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by adh View Post
    Nut shell answer:
    Less than 16" and have a stock = SBR = NFA item, $200 stamp
    less than 16 and no stock, pistol...add a VFG to the pistol and yes you've made an AOW
    AOW = NFA item, $5 stamp
    The AOW stamp is only $5 but the maker must pay $200 to make the AOW.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    That is but one determining factor. Here is the actual Fed definition:

(29) The term “handgun” means—
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

So as you can see the short stock is one factor, and "held and fired by the use of a single hand" is the other. Hence why you cannot add a vertical grip to a pistol, it no longer is a pistol by definition.
    Correct.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I wonder how many people have - ignorant of the law - purchased stocks and "carbine" kits for their Glocks and SiGs and never once thought of filing a Form 1. Or how many people have bought SBR uppers for their ARs without ever thinking about, "All NFA rules apply," means in the product description.

Never mind the countless Bubba Gunsmithed unregistered machine guns, guys who possess AR pistols and AR rifles and have "just tried" putting their pistol uppers on their rifle lowers, unregistered machine guns brought back from WWII, Vietnam, Korea, and the GWOT - where some guys didn't know what they were doing was illegal and some knew full well.

Does anybody know if that guy "guarding" the recruitment office with his almost certainly unregistered AOW (AR pistol with less than 10" bbl, with brace, and VFG) was ever arrested or charged? Does anybody even care? What about Bobby Onco and his AK at Wounded Knee? Does the ATF simply assume that such people are lawfully in possession of properly registered NFA items barring evidence of another crime or of the crime of possessing an unregistered NFA firearm?

Now, I'm not saying that anybody should ignore federal law - I don't think f___ing up your life and becoming a federal felon for want of $200 is worth it - but I do wonder about how vigorously the ATF prosecutes people who violate these laws (particularly in the light of how lax prosecution for violating gun laws are in this country and the fact that the ATF almost certainly has bigger fish to fry than some otherwise law-abiding Joe Blow who made the mistake of allowing his picture to be taken posing with an unregistered AOW while standing outside a recruiting center).

Perhaps this is a can of worms best left unopened.
    A lot more than any of us know.

Things like this come in the shop now and again, and we run them out pretty quickly.
    The sxs shotgun grandaddy cut right to the limit, but crooked, so one barrel is 18 1/16", and the other is 17 15/16". They don't want to believe it's still illegal.
    The mint condition auto burglar, and when you ask if he's got his paperwork with him, he says "what paperwork?"
    Or the guy standing at the counter talking about how quiet his home made suppressor is, while an atf agent is sitting 10ft away doing the general audit.

I personally don't agree with the vast majority of gun laws. To me, "shall not be infringed" means anything a soldier can carry into battle. But, sometimes, the best answer is not necessarily to ignore a law.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So a pistol with a 10.5" barrel, LAW Tactical folder, and Shockwave Blade would be measured (to define it as a "firearm" and legally use a VFG) with the folder open, i.e. not folded? End of total assembly (or buffer tube?) to the end of barrel threads?
    Measured folder open, at end of barrel threads, or permanent muzzle device.
    Probably at the end of the buffer tube, depending on how "permanent" the blade is.

Feedback Score
    The aow stamp, as in a transfer on an f4 is $5.
    To make an aow on an f1 is $200.

I think for the most part, atf has bigger fish to fry, and are way too busy to go around looking for the guy who has a 14.5" without a pinned flash hider.
    Now, if he's found already for something else, or he's just stumbled on by chance....

Kind of like the "I don't plan on getting caught" guy. I'm sure everyone who is in prison planned it that way. People don't realize how you can get caught by other means. Like the fellow who told us he had a sxs cut to the forearm, and stock cut to the pistol grip. Says he keeps it in his vehicle, but he's not worried about getting caught, since he doesn't speed, or do other stupid driving things.
    I don't know, how about another idiot who causes him to have an accident, and in the wreck it comes out of its hiding place.
    What now?

Or the guy who has it sitting in the corner when he has some medical emergency, and his wife calls 911? Police come with EMS, and sitting in plain view needs no warrant.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234