Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legality of Vertical Forward Grip

Feedback Score

Legality of Vertical Forward Grip

I was bored this-morning so I was doing some reading about the history of the AR-15. This led me to the wikipedia page that talks about adding a forward pistol grip to an AR-15 designated as a pistol constitutes manufacture of an AOW and has to be registered.

So, my question.... I have a stock 16.1" barrel LE6920 and may or may not have a Magpul Vertical Grip mounted to the handguard. How I interpret the law is that it would be illegal if the barrel is less than 16" because the rifle would be considered a pistol. But, since the barrel is 16.1", this is legal...(?)

I get the feeling that it's insignificant, but still want to make sure I understand the law properly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not an issue on a long gun. Adding one to a handgun creates an NFA sin taxed AOW.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nut shell answer:
    Less than 16" and have a stock = SBR = NFA item, $200 stamp
    less than 16 and no stock, pistol...add a VFG to the pistol and yes you've made an AOW
    AOW = NFA item, $5 stamp

Quote Originally Posted by 3176312 View Post
    I was bored this-morning so I was doing some reading about the history of the AR-15. This led me to the wikipedia page that talks about adding a forward pistol grip to an AR-15 designated as a pistol constitutes manufacture of an AOW and has to be registered.

So, my question.... I have a stock 16.1" barrel LE6920 and may or may not have a Magpul Vertical Grip mounted to the handguard. How I interpret the law is that it would be illegal if the barrel is less than 16" because the rifle would be considered a pistol. But, since the barrel is 16.1", this is legal...(?)

I get the feeling that it's insignificant, but still want to make sure I understand the law properly.

Feedback Score
    Barrel less than 16" or overall length less than 26", if it has a stock, is a Short Barrelled Rifle.
    Barrel less than 16" or overall length less than 26", with no stock, is a Pistol.
    Barrel less than 16" or overall length less than 26", with no stock, but with a VFG is an Any Other Weapon.
    Barrel less than 16" but overall length more than 26", with no stock, with a VFG is a Firearm.

Short Barrelled rifles and AOW's you have to pay and get the $200 tax stamp, which puts the firearm on the NFA registery.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the great information. It's my first AR and still learning tons of information about it.

I think that I'm OK if I did add a vertical grip to the front. The LE6920 has a...

Barrel Length: 16.1"
    Overall Length (Stock Retracted): 32"
    Overall Length (Stock Extended): 35.5"

So, from what it sounds, as long as I don't go under 16" for the barrel, I'm good.

Thank You!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks all for the great information. It's my first AR and still learning tons of information about it.

I think that I'm OK if I did add a vertical grip to the front. The LE6920 has a...

So, from what it sounds, as long as I don't go under 16" for the barrel, I'm good.

Thank You!
    Do you have a stock or not? 35.5" is what Colt measures their factory 6920 with a stock extended.
    Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 05-07-16 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris View Post
    Do you have a stock or not? 35.5" is what Colt measures their factory 6920 with a stock extended.
    I do have a stock. I have the Magpul MOE Slimline Carbine Stock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Barrel length of 16 inches or more and an overall length of 26 inches or more, with or without buttstock, is a rifle
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Thank You!

It really doesn't matter what the over length is or barrel length. You have a rifle period, so you can add a verticle grip all day long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Friendlyfireisnt is correct, with one caveat.
    Barrel length on a pistol or firearm is irrelevant.
    The presence, or lack of, a stock is the determining factor in pistols and firearms. If no stock, and under 26" oal, it's a pistol. If no stock, and 26" or more oal, it's a firearm.
    On rifles, both the barrel and stock count, but to determine whether it is rifle, or a short barreled rifle.
    Vfg is legal without registration on rifles, short barreled rifles, and firearms.
    Telescoping or folding stocks are always opened or extended to their maximum length for measuring oal on a rifle.
    Reaching a barrel length of 16", and an oal of 26" does not automatically make a rifle.

This is per federal regulations. State law may vary.
    Here in VA, it follows federal regulation.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast