Thread: Powder for 62 grainers

Feedback Score

Powder for 62 grainers

I have been scouring this forum to see what people prefer for their 62 grain bullets. I figured I would start a new thread as opinions DO change over time.

I am just curious what yalls preferred powder of choice is for plinking with 62 grainers.

I have some Prvi Partizan 62 grain FMJ that I want to use for bulk shooting. I have access to a TON of Benchmark(16 lbs) and about 4lbs or so of BL-C(2) and Reloader 15.

While I would use this powder mainly for 62 grainers, I also have some Sierra Matchking 69 grains and some Hornady 75 grains as well.

So can yall help me out and give me your preferences?

I figure the Benchmark would be fine for the 62 grain bullets, however, all the threads I read from various forums always talk about using it with the 55 grain(or lighter) bullets.

Feedback Score
    I don't shoot 62gr-69gr pills much. For plinking the benchmark or bl-c2 will work I would not expect top accuracy from them but they will work. For accuracy I would try 8208(go to powder for 75's) or 4895. The BL-C2 is I'm fairly sure the same as Win 748 it may work fine for those weight pills I just don't have luck getting great accuracy out of ball powders in 223. But your accuracy requirements maybe diffrent than what I'm looking for lots of guys love BL-C2/748 in 223 your benchmark should be good for 50-55gr pills

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The BL-C(2) will meet your needs just fine. Also I like TAC.

Feedback Score
    Of what you have BL-C(2), I use it with SS109s and it is quite accurate considering the projectiles. Plus for plinking loads you just can't beat ball powder metering.

I reserve Benchmark for lighter bullets although it will work, and the short grains meter pretty good.

I would save the RL15 for the heavier match bullets.

FWIW BL-C(2) and RL15 are a bit temp sensitive, so if you plan to leave your ammo sitting in the sun or to be shooting in temps over 100 you need to do your load dev in those conditions. I've never had a pressure/safety issue with either from -30 to 90 due to temp.
    Last edited by Beef15; 05-08-16 at 14:52. Reason: Eta: Temps

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd burn up that Benchmark.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v