Thread: Max effective range & ammo selection

Feedback Score

Max effective range & ammo selection

I've got a single carbine which I will be using as a "jack of all trades" gun - a Noveske N4 Light Recce 16" middy. It's primary purpose will be home defense, with a secondary purpose of carbine classes (as many as I can afford, both for fun & to become as effective as possible). I've already read through a bunch of threads on ammo choices for these purposes so I'll leave those alone for now.

The other two uses I foresee for this weapon are:

1. Possible varmint / coyote hunting. I know a couple of guys that are basically 'hired guns' to keep some large farms clear of coyotes that prey on their livestock (chickens mostly) and I may be able to join them.

2. Long-range paper punching - this is pure fun for me, and the longer the better. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm getting better and I enjoy the practice!

Here's the question.

For each of the above numbered uses, what would be the maximum effective range, what ammo would you choose, and why. Obviously, for the coyotes / varmints, I need both accuracy and terminal performance, while for the paper punching I simply need to know how far away I can set my target and still have consistent performance.

Again, I only have one carbine, and I'm not likely to be getting another one any time soon (or possibly ever, but political issues are for a different topic...). I will be getting a good optic / scope suitable for these purposes, and likely a bi-pod and anything else I think might be useful, but I don't want to discuss those things here. Please stick to ammo advice and maximum range info.

Finally, my guess is that the maximum range isn't going to be farther than maybe 3-400 yards, and that is fine - again, 'jack of all trades' carbine. I just want to know what the maximum range is, whatever it may be.

Thanks all!

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind a reply by a newbie...

I am using an LMT 16" M4 type upper with a Leupold VXII 1-4X20 mounted with a LaRue SPR mount. Lower uses a McCormick trigger, Magpul MIAD grip, and a Vltor EMOD stock.

My maximum effective range is 1/4 mile aka 440 yards. It's the longest shot I can get here on my property in South Georgia. I am using Black Hills 77GR Match (blue box) reloads. I use these because it is the most accurate ammo I have ever shot. Would not hessatate to shoot a coyote with these rounds out to 400, but would not use this ammo on deer. Prefer a 20 inch barrel, 64GR soft points, and a maximum range of 200 yards for use on deer.

Here is how I tested the LMT with the Black Hills 77GR Match.

We get a zero at 50...

Checked our group at 200...

THEN we moved to 400/440 yards.

The little Leupy 1-4x20 is not the best scope for shooting at 1/4 of a mile away, but we did pretty good anyway despite our lack of talent. Shot at 400 and determined bullet drop to be 30 inches. Group size was about 6 inches. Shot at 440 and determined bullet drop to be 40 inches. Group size was only 5 inches! This is just a rusted budget grade M4 upper... and it is printing a 1.25 MOA group at 1/4 of a mile away... with ME shooting. I was shooting from a stand... but the only rest used was my Dillon range pack full of targets, rolls of tape, Makita impact driver, etc... it's not like I was using a bi-pod and sand bags.

Later in the day I fired again at 400, group size was still 1 MOAish, bullet drop was now 24 inches. We shot at 440 again and bullet drop was 30 inches. Looks like there is a verifiable bullet drop of 10 inches in just the 40 yards between the 400 and 440 yard target when using this ammo/barrel combo.

Feeling good... and having a nice full factored southern evening breeze blowing... I tried once more at 440 before I lost the light, this time using the thick part of the scope cross-hair post as the aiming point... and ALMOST put 3 shots into the head zone of a IDPA target... so close to having some pretty impressive bragging rights... but God kept me humble.

So yes, the Black Hills 77GR Match ammo IS worth the $1 a shot price. For this test I was shooting only the Blue Box re-loads that cost me $38 for 50 rounds from Midway. Will be buying more. The LMT upper will remain zeroed for the 77GR Sierra Match.
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 08-25-08 at 23:30. Reason: pic posting issues...