Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Up to .308" meaning

Feedback Score

"Up to .308" meaning

Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't seem to find an answer. I see many ranges say that they will allow rifle up to ".308 Carbine", but no list of what calibers are allowed. I know this is an easy question, but if the range says "up to .308", what list of calibers are allowed? I'm assuming 5.56x45 would be allowed, but what are the others?

Thanks in advanced.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    .17 Hornet
    .223 Remington
    5.56x45 NATO
    .30 Carbine
    .300 AAC Blackout (7.62×35mm)
    .308 Winchester

List progresses from smaller to larger.

Courtesy of Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges YMMV.

This list, on the Wiki, also did not include 5.56, etc, so it's incomplete. But to give you an idea, the range allows all calibers, as long as it is not larger than .308.

ETA: It also appears the wording is "Carbines" so, maybe you could use bolt actions larger than .308, but for an actual carbine based weapon, like an Armalite Rifle, they want .308 (AR10) or under (like a standard 5.56 AR15).

Oh, and welcome to M4C.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-11-16 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    Ah, thank you very much!!!

I found a few pictures ranging from smallest caliber to largest, but nothing that included .308 and 5.56. Thanks for posting and confirming the 5.56 allowance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3176312 View Post
    Ah, thank you very much!!!

I found a few pictures ranging from smallest caliber to largest, but nothing that included .308 and 5.56. Thanks for posting and confirming the 5.56 allowance.

Hope this helps.

ETA: This one is nice too:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-11-16 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

"Up to .308" meaning

I assume they mean, "ballistically up to 308" in which case that list would be incorrect. I could be wrong though.
    For example... 300 Weatherby, which is a belted magnum round, is listed before 308 Win.
    Last edited by Ryno12; 05-11-16 at 08:23.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3176312 View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't seem to find an answer. I see many ranges say that they will allow rifle up to ".308 Carbine", but no list of what calibers are allowed. I know this is an easy question, but if the range says "up to .308", what list of calibers are allowed? I'm assuming 5.56x45 would be allowed, but what are the others?

Thanks in advanced.
    It's a ridiculous restriction, as it effectively means nothing.
    Their restriction really should be based on performance, such as penetration/max distance/energy/etc.

Most 5.56 will pit steel worse than most .308, and a 45-70 rifle will be crushed by .308 in most pertinent aspects.

A more knowledgeable staff and customer base would necessitate a revision of those prohibitions.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12
    I assume they mean, "ballistically up to 308" in which case that list would be incorrect. I could be wrong though.
    For example... 300 Weatherby, which is a belted magnum round, is listed before 308 Win.
    That list wasn't 100% accurate, as mentioned. It seems their range has specific carbine caliber listings.

The list was meant to be an example of different rounds "allowed" it appears I have caused some confusion. I will edit that out considering it was directed towards "carbines" anyways.

ETA: Thanks for pointing out the Ballistics portion of that. As it was quite flawed in that motion.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-11-16 at 08:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It's a ridiculous restriction, as it effectively means nothing.
    Their restriction really should be based on performance, such as penetration/max distance/energy/etc.

Most 5.56 will pit steel worse than most .308, and a 45-70 rifle will be crushed by .308 in most pertinent aspects.

A more knowledgeable staff and customer base would necessitate a revision of those prohibitions.
    I was under that impression as well, but I have seen some ranges have even more restrictive rules before. So, who really knows why they do it. Haha.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A restriction written by someone who knows really nothing about actual cartridge performance. There are several rounds "under" .308 that do more backstop/armor damage than .308. (I'm assuming that's the concern)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A restriction written by someone who knows really nothing about actual cartridge performance. There are several rounds "under" .308 that do more backstop/armor damage than .308. (I'm assuming that's the concern)
    You think that's ridiculous? I can top that easy. There's an indoor range in town that bans shooting magnum cartridges. What's a magnum cartridge? One that literally has "Magnum" in the name. .327 Federal Magnum, no. .50 AE, go right ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast