Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1100 barrel fouling

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

1100 barrel fouling

I purchased a Rem 1100 Sporting 12 for a decent price on GB.

Gun was clean on the outside but moisture got inside the receiver and the shell latch was heavily pitted/rusted. Decided to break the stake and the rust invaded the inside of the shell latch but was able to clean the receiver. I will order a new shell latch and restake.

The barrel has a burned in approx 3/4" long fouling ring just forward of the chamber (maybe a little further down)

I have a chamber brush, bore brush, solvent, rem oil and every patch is dirty, but this ring of fouling is on there hard and does not seem to be coming off.

how would you attack it? the rest of the bore is shiny.

if I have to buy a product, I am in no hurry as I still have to order some parts to freshen this new to me shotty.

I am not much of a shotgunner, so I dont deal with this a lot and my methods that work with police 870s, is not working here.

thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking at that, I want to say that it very well may be plastic deposits from wads at about the area of the forcing cone. After many many rounds, usually, depends somewhat on the constriction, some of my comp guns get similar build up at around the choke tubes, never seen one that heavy in the bore, but then if the forcing cones are sharp that could be the cause. Really hard to say without seeing it first hand. Call it an educated guess from someone will way too many rounds through a 12 gauge.

As far as my choke tubes I usually soak them in hoppes #9 for a day or so, depends if I forget that they are on the back deck or not, and then the build up will pretty easily brush out with a brush, at least what doesn't just dissolve, or scrap out with a plastic scraper or even a finger nail. An entire barrel though will be its own challenge trying to do that though.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    whats odd, is this ring is forward of the chamber and appears to be forward of the forcing cone. the rest of the barrel is spotless. All 4 chokes are clean. I ran the edge of the cleaning rod on the ring and can feel the roughness but did not scrape on it. I forgot I have an old jar of JB Bore Bright, and maybe that will hone it clean.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you mean to say every patch is clean? or are you still getting fouling even though the bore is shiny?

If you want a chemical solution, lot of trap shooters swear by this: http://spccorp.com/rgs/ removes plastic fouling as well as other forms of fouling.

We've used tornado brushes chucked into cordless drills to clean our range shotguns, just recently switched to Brush Research Flexhones - http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6 but we do a couple dozen shotguns at a time.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Every patch comes out dirty, so I am doing something but never had one this stubborn. my guess, the ring is causing the dirty patch.

thanks for the link. I may need a bottle as I plan to shoot a lot after I get this shotty back to working order.

thanks and work my have some tornado brushes

Feedback Score
    Shotgun mop, Flitz metal polish and a cordless drill are your friends.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    great idea david. thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Try a brand new bore snake pulled from both directions. If that doesn't do it take a mop lightly wrapped with steel wool lubed and spun with a cordless drill.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    ok, I have identified the ring to be on the forcing cone taper.

Flitz on a mop and steel wool on a drill seemed to have thinned it down but its still there. I can see the rotation marks in the ring. I have tried Eds Red, Hoppes 9, Kroil and a bore cleaner, but it remains.

I have spun a chamber brush shoved in further, and still no effect.

I contacted Remington, its a 2014 model….and the bolt buffer has some impact marks.

gonna have to purchase the solution listed.

on another note, the rest of the barrel is spotless!

thanks to all.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have this same fouling issue with a 1187P I purchased three years ago. Compared to my 1187 barrels from 15 - 20 years ago, it appears that Remington does not clean up rough machining in the forcing cone the way they used to.

I use a standard bronze brush wrapped with a patch soaked with Iosso bore cleaner and scrub it out. It takes a lot of elbow grease but it does come out. In your case, I would try soaking the barrel with Kroil for a few days to see if you can loosen the fouling a bit.

What I really need to do is purchase a barrel polishing hone to smooth the rough machining in the forcing cone, which I think would drastically reduce the wad fouling.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast