Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1100 barrel fouling

Feedback Score
    I wonder if it could be lead and if lead remover would help.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I probably worked on it last night for about 1.5 hrs.

even before I jumped in the shower before going to bed, I ran the drill for a while.

HA, I even heavy coated with Kroil and left the oily patch and jag on the spot in the barrel.

It does appear to have thinned down, and while difficult to see with my 50+ year old eyes, I see the rotating marking in the ring, so it is working, just not to the point of speed (as I would like it)

I believe I will need a good solution and its either plastic or lead fouling, but for one think……its baked on hard.

Once gone (hopefully), I do plan to polish on the forcing cone if rough machining marks are the cause for the build up.

Ed's Red did give me some hope as the patches were coming out dark as the rest of the barrel is spotless, so that had to be coming from the pesky ring at the forcing cone.

again, thanks for all the advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SW, I think that your cleaning/polishing effort has solved the problem. The circular rings may be an optical illusion; if not, unless you can feel them with a wire or tool, I suggest that your barrel if ok and within specs. Remington shotguns--a personal favorite since 1961--are a mass produced product with their share of tool marks. Some guns will have more than others. Tool marks bother me because I'm picky. Irv Stone of BarSto fame told me in a phone conversation that visible tool marks in a pistol barrel do not affect accuracy. He exempted the crown in this statement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
    I wonder if it could be lead and if lead remover would help.
    I'd seriously doubt, unless the prior owner ran some wonky loads through the run, that it is lead build up. The wad is going to act as a barrier between the barrier and the shot so you aren't often going to see loads that will have actual lead contacting the barrel. Not saying it isn't possible, but I doubt it highly. I have more certainty in that it likely isn't lead build it as well, since I cleaned one of my shotguns tonight since I was shooting in the rain today and after cleaning it and running a cleaning rod through the gun I checked for any similar build up like that of the OP. Sure enough it was there, not that I messed much with it, but it was there.

Then out of curiosity I pulled out my old Browning and checked that one, no obvious build up there and that one had 10-15 times the number of rounds through it if not more. The current gun has had about 3K or so since it's last cleaning and likely not more than 5-6K total, so not sure what the cause could be since I have been shooting a lot of reloads as of late, but I don't think the reloads would be causing it since my father's shotgun doesn't show any fouling either and that has been fed the same reloads as well, but like my other gun has had significantly more rounds put through it. The other set of barrels for my gun also showed a similar build up. The irony, at least to me, the ones showing the fouling are for a gun that is something like 6 times the price of the other ones, is it doesn't seem to be an issue with cheap guns, not that an 1100 is a cheap, or even poorly made gun. Also yanked out my Franchi 12 gauge auto and it has only ever seen a few hundred rounds, likely under 1K total and it shows a slight ring. I had to kind of wonder if it might be something that is a bit of a wear thing that over time might be worn away and cease to be after 10s of thousands of rounds and this is the first time in 15 years of shooting shotgun that I have even heard of it so....

All that said, it does not appear to be something that is causing any issues as far as shooting, pattern, recoil, pressure signs(not that I am running hot loads really), and I am overly concerned, and likely won't even think about it next time I hit the range, i mean in the past three weeks I've run 1K through the damn thing with no problems other than my dumb ass doing stupid shit the gun and shells seem to be fine. That said, if I do think about it I will check other shooters I know guns and see what their guns look like as well, and ask some of the other shooters I know who's opinions I trust, and if I get the chance speak with a fellow, wouldn't call him a friend but I know him, who occasionally shoots at the range I frequent who is the head gunsmith for the American side of Kreighoff and see if he has anything to say about it since I imagine if anyone he would have seen it before and have something to say.

On a final note, looking at the build up in the second set of barrels I have, it looks like it is more carbon build up, at least in my barrels, at least is has the same look as what my shell's hulls look like after 5-6 reloading. Not 100% certain that is what it is, but again other than being really dirty, and caked on hard from heat, it has never caused any issues that I know of, but again OP if I see my guy at the club I'll ask and let you know if there is anything to be concerned about.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    williejc and Kain, great info. thanks

my eyes are not what they used to be and I too thought it was just shadowing but a edge ran on the surface does feel rough compared to either side of the ring. it looks like it is getting thinner.

I thought I would be able to go find products locally today, but that did not happen.

my Kroil soaked patch was 're-upped" and will not get a chance to mess with it tomorrow. So it will soak in Kroil for a few days more.

the gun broker seller was a pawn shop and he had no history on this gun but moisture did get inside and a layer of rust developed on the entire shell latch. I order a new one from Remington along with a new mag spring and a couple of new gas o-rings.

While I really wanted a Beretta semi auto, the pocket book said no and clean used Berettas create much activity. I picked up this Remmy for 685 and from an exterior standpoint, very well taken care of (too include 4 Briley style chokes). if it was not for the rusty shell latch and me so hard on cleaning off the barrel ring, it cleaned up internally very nice. This will be my starter shotgun for joining the local skeet club.

I was a little worried about shotgun fit but have been shouldering a Police 870 for 26 years, I figured the Rem 1100 was going to be close. before I completely stripped it down (as far as it can go), I was shouldering it and it seems to fit as is.

thanks to all who have contributed info!
    Last edited by SW CQB 45; 05-14-16 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    You can't have too many o-rings for your 1100. These are good to go and you cannot beat the price. http://www.theoringstore.com/index.p...ducts_id=10465
    Last edited by GH41; 05-15-16 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    thanks for the link GH41

Feedback Score
    I'll share how I clean shotgun barrels because it is a little different, but I swear by it and it might make quick work of that ring.

Take a shotgun mop. Take 1/2 sheet of paper towel and fold in half. Wrap this tightly around the mop. Insert slightly into the chamber area, just enough to keep the paper towel from unwinding. Then apply a generous amount of remington 40x cleaner around the entire paper towel area (you can rotate the mop around to get it everywhere). Run that up and down a bunch of times. Repeat 4-6 times and you are done.
    40x cleaner is abrasive, like a liquid form of JB paste, and they seem to stock it at Walmart. It has a ball in the bottle and you need to shake it well.
    Then oil as per usual. I like Breakfree Collector to prevent rust.
    Last edited by P2000; 05-15-16 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Well HELL!

I have been pushing oil or solvent soaked patches, spinning a steel wool draped bronze brush with a drill, tornado brush, and Flitz on a mop for hours.......and today I brought my barrel to work and show it to younger eyed officers.

Both said what I was looking at was rough machine marks......they saw no build-up on the forcing cone area.

I have been chasing.... nothing!

On a brighter note, both officers said that was the cleanest used shotgun barrel they have ever seen! HA!!!

lets hope my eyes will see the clay bird when its time to shoot!

thanks to all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12