Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Presses Revisited

Feedback Score

Reloading Presses Revisited

Guys , looking for some input here . I`ve used the search function , but can`t find much about presses that isn`t several years old .

Been shooting for years and want to get back into reloading . Now that I`ve retired , I`m doing a whole lot more shooting , going to schools and starting to build up a decent supply of once fired brass . My first press was and is an old single stage RCBS Rockchucker , so I feel I have nowhere to go but up . That said , I shoot mostly 9mm and .45ACP in my handguns and will move into the .223/5.56 down the road . I`m a little late coming to the AR platform ..... the first rifle I was issued was an M1 Garand ... so time to come into the modern world .

I`ve narrowed it down to either the Dillon RL550B or the Hornady LnL , but am leaning towards the Dillon unit . I would like to hear input , pro and con on each and which accessories to start off with and then build on ..... can`t afford to do everything at once . I already have measuring equipment ( used to build my own engines for my track cars ) , Franklin Arsenal tumbler , case trimmer , scales etc . Also have the Nosler and Lyman 49th edition manuals . The dies I have are RCBS 9mm and .45 , which don`t appear to be carbide .

As I said any and all comments are welcome . Just because this is the stuff I have , doesn`t mean it`s what will work "best " , just what was accumulated over the years .

Thanks .... Bob

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    550b is a great machine. Ive loaded thousands on one.

I now load on a 1050.

With that said, for 98% of people a 1050 is overkill, hell its overkill for me.

I would skip a 550b and go to a 650XL at least. It has more abilities than a 550b as well as being faster.
    -650 case feeder is same as a 1050 and works better than the 550b case feeder, which is its own feeder and is limited I believe in calibers.
    -650 has an extra space in the tool head for something like a Mr Bullet Feeder(IMO one of the best reloading items I have bought next to my RCBS Chargemaster)
    -650 has a "better" priming system than the 550b, although it does have its quirks too, but the 550b priming system is abysmal at best and the weakest point on that machine

Caliber conversions on a 650 vs. a 550b might be 20-30 extra(tool heads are I think 10 bucks more and shell plates around the same).

While you may look at a 650 and its added capabilities as "stuff ill never use", trust me, you MIGHT use it and if you want to and cant(because you bought a 550b) you will be mad. Although Dillon machines hold their value like no other so if you wanted to ugprade in the future, you can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have a couple Rockchuckers for rifle stuff, a Lee Turret, a Hornady Lock n Load, and now a Dillon 650. I've run 550s before.

I load 38, 357, 44spl, 44 mag, 380, 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .223, and .308 on the Turret, and it's super-easy to swap calibers. I keep that press around for running off another 100-500 rounds of something real quick, or doing load development. Once set up and running, I can do 250-300rd/hr, including adding primers to the Auto Prime.

Then, we have a 650 for massive runs, 500rd-5,000 rounds. It's pretty much always set up for 9mm, and we just churn through that stuff at 600-800 rounds per hour, including loading primer tubes. It's also much smoother and easier and nicer to run than the Turret. The 650 takes longer to switch calibers, especially if you're changing primer sizes. If you have a big stash of components and can leave it set up for one caliber for several thousand rounds, and only do a few different calibers (9, 45, .223), then the 650 with casefeed adapter is a pretty tremendous machine.

The 550 is easier to swap between calibers, but is a bit slower than the 650, although just as nice and smooth. If you are going to do smaller quantities of many calibers, and would only do 200-1000 rounds between changing calibers, the 550 is a good choice. For me, having a 650 AND a Turret is better than just a 550, but I have too many calibers around, and so that's probably not the best setup for most people.

Feedback Score
    Not a reloading press but the 2 best single products you can buy for reloading are:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILI3S9S/...I1BXYVNZ75DF40

&

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Both will last a lifetime, save you countless hours and make reloading less tedious. No matter what press I used, I would not reload if it wasn't for these 2.

Amazon also has the Hornady electric powder dispenser on sale and IME, is a MUCH better unit with much better factory support after the 1 year warranty is up than the RCBS chargemaster:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O20UOW/...I3G1HZPJ94J9LD

Also, this is the place to get your mounts/bullet trays/ect:

http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/ultramounts

Good luck and happy shooting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Dillon is the better choice.

I would recommend purchasing through http://www.brianenos.com/

He does a very good job of helping people new to Dillon products figure out what they need. Just check out his store on the website. He also does packages that may fit your needs very well.

I used him for my first Dillon purchase, got everything I needed, and then got a phone call from Brian because I had ordered a redundant item and he could save me some $ by removing it from the order.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Totally agree on Brian. Good dude and super-helpful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have two single stage pressing and a Hornady LNL AP. I went with the Hornady because I load for many different guns, 223, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, 303, 308, 243, 270, 30x47, 30-30, 8mm, 7mag, 45-70, 30-06. 7.62x54r, and then there are the pistol calibers 32H&R, 38 special, 357, 9mm Luger, 45LC, 45acp, 44mag,.

the Hornady is lower priced to buy and easy to change over but it is slower then the Dillon 650. But I have broken parts on the press and Hornady has always shipped me replacements for free. Help is just a phone call away. I do not use a bullet feeder or a brass feeder.

I like the Hornady AP and its $399.00 on sale with 500 free bullets.

If you shoot 1000s of the same caliber I would say pay for the 650 but if you shoot different things and run batches of 200 to 300 a time then get the Hornady.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Colt guy; 05-13-16 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt guy View Post
    I went with the Hornady because I load for many different guns,

If you shoot 1000s of the same caliber I would say pay for the 650 but if you shoot different things and run batches of 200 to 300 a time then get the Hornady.
    I have heard this argument before, but it doesnt hold water.

Caliber conversions between the two are within a couple dollars.

Bushings are around $5 a piece for the Hornady(needs 4-5 per caliber). Tool heads for the 550 are $20, or $28 for the 650. So $20-25 in bushings or a $20-28 tool head. Wash.

Hornady shell plates are ~$40. Dillon shell plates are $39. Wash.

If you run a case feeder the hornady plates are ~30 vs. 39 for the dillon. Slight advantage to Hornady there.

Dies are the same between machines i.e. any standard dies work. Both machines come with both primer setups. Both machines come with both powder setups(i dont know how the Hornady works vs. the dillon).

Maybe some other small differences, but a few bucks difference in caliber conversions.

Feedback Score
    That old single stage Rockchucker is a rugged and very well built press and there are plenty of single stage presses that don't hold a candle to it. I remember once upon a time RCBS even made a piggy back conversion unit for it that converted it to a progressive.

If you think you're going to be reloading vast quantities of rounds though, you really can't go wrong by getting the Dillon 650.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies and info .... just what I was looking for . I went to Brian`s site , lots of good stuff there , so that`s where I`ll start . Anytime I see that many thumbs up on someone , there has to be a reason .
    Just curious , I`ve been using all factory loads and am just starting to accumulate primers and powder . Heard that CCI small pistol primers are harder than some of the others out there . Also , time to start researching powders to stock up on for the 9mm and .45 .
    Again , thanks for the help !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast