Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Presses Revisited

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Has anybody pointed out that the 550B is NOT self-indexing, and this fact makes operating the press less complicated. I ask the op this question: how important is speed, and if speed is important, how much more volume will the other machines provide?

I reload for several handgun calibers. My emphasis is on good technique and precision. Recently I processed 300 .45 Colt cases with the 550B. I ran the cases through a size/decap die on the first station and proceeded to the second station for expansion with a Lyman M-die. The cases were ejected into the blue box. To clean primer pockets I tumbled the cases in corn cobb media. Then I primed them with a bench tool. The final destination was a plastic bag to be loaded later. Eventually, Ill finish by loading this batch with a yet undetermined powder charge and one of my home cast bullets. I'll probably complete the task using a Redding turret press. Once I settle on a suitable powder/bullet combination, I can then complete the entire process on the press, or I may not.

I use a Square Deal B to reload .45 acp ammo using a tried and true combination. I've dedicated this press for this one round. So, there are lots of ways to skin the cat. I'm old as dirt and have more time(actually not that much)than money. I posted to show that a progressive can be used in ways other than full speed ahead. The 550B's simplicity increases its versatility.

Why did I buy a SDB? Because it ran its original owner crazy, and he paid me to rescue him from it. They are great presses but less idiot proof than the 550B.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Lots of good info on Enos and Dillon. I've been loading 9mm, 45, and 223 for several years on a 550b. Dillon's warranty and customer service are outstanding. I would also recommend the strong mount and roller handle. The caliber quick change kits are great and can be added later.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I could do it all over again I own a single stag press and a Dillon 650 with all the change overs for the different calibers I reload for.

Feedback Score
    willejc .... thanks for the user feedback . I figured out the 550B doesn`t index and that doesn`t bother me as I , at this point , don`t plane on running 1,000 rnds at a time . Since I retired , I have more time on my hands , so speed is important but not the #1 or even #2 factor .When I go to the range , I normally do drills like FAST , Dot and Dot Torture etc . After I run a drill , I analyze to see what I did and how to improve .... I don`t do magazine dumps ... I try to improve . If I need higher volume in the future , I figure I can sell the 550B as Dillon appears to have good resale value and then step up .

Tigereye .. thanks , the strong mount and roller handle are now on my list and the quick change kits will be considered .

Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 550b being manual index doesnt bother me, you can get into a pretty good rhythm. The sketchy primer system bugs me more, although supposedly its fixed with a kit like this:

http://appliedweaponstech.com/produc...-wball-bearing

Not sure if thats the exact one my old man bought, but he bought that and said it basically cured the primer slide issues he had. He also did the shell plate bearing and said it helps with consistency because he cant tighten down the shell plate bolt tighter now and still index properly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before you buy the strongmount, take Primus Pilums advice and check out inline fabrications mount. I own both, the inline fab mount is much more solid. I mean you could park a freaking truck on it...

As far as powder and primers, I learned long ago that unless you were running a lightened/skeletonized firing pin, you could use small rifle primers for 9mm/40. Yes they are hotter, adjust loads accordingly. The thicker cup of the rifle primer will not work with lightened/skeletonized firing pins. Save yourself some pain if you plan to reload rifle and pistol, and just stock rifle primers.

Powder wise, Vihtavuori powder is top notch. Very clean, very consistent both temp wise and lot to lot. N320 is probably the best 9mm powder out there. N340 will cover both 9mm and .40 and do it well. Sadly, the VV powders are pricey. I still use them, just received an order of 16lb of N130 from powder valley last week.

That said, there are plenty of other powders out there that will work fine at a lower cost.

Finally, if you do the quick change kit, I would suggest dedicating a powder measure to rifle and another to pistol. This way you do not have to change power bars to go from rifle to pistol. Even better is to have a powder measure on each toolhead (each cartridge) but that gets pricey.

Best of luck!

Feedback Score
    I run a Dillon XL650 and a Redding T7. High volume loading on the Dillon, small batches and load development on the Redding. I love both of those presses, and aside from a few odds and ends like a powered case trimmer on the Dillon (just have to buy it) I am very happy with my setup. The Dillon can turn out very very nice ammo for rifle or pistol, and it does it fast! Just get the case feeder, spare parts kit, a strong mount or Inline Fabrication's mount (my preference), and the roller handle.

The XL650 has advantages over the RL550 in that it automatically indexes, has a far superior primer feed, has a better case feeder (since it was designed for case feeder use), and has a 5th slot in the tool head allowing a powder check die. I really like the powder check as an added safety measure since it gives you a visual and audible indication of an under charged or overcharged case. Worth the piece of mind to me.

I'd love a 1050, but just can't justify one right now. The XL650 is close enough for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    williejc brings up a good point. If you deprime with the Dillon it is imperative to keep the primer slide bar clean. Otherwise it will bind, and cause lots of problems. Investing in a Lee Universal Decapping Die for your Rockchucker will eliminate this problem. Or, you could hand prime your brass ahead of time. That is what I do.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I do all my reloading on the 550. 9 45 338 6.5cm. It makes very good ammo. If you are planning on doing rifle, other than 223, I would get the 550. I use it as a single stage for loading rifle. So I can have the deprimer, resizer, expander, and seater in the press without having to change much. I also have a single stage kit I bought off of amazon that turns it into a real single. This is used for converting 308 lapua to 6.5 creed.

If your loading mostly pistol I would opt for the 650. It will cost about 1/3 more to setup over the 550. Lastly, if you think you may want to go to the feeders in the future, its better all the way around.

On my 550 I run machined heads, microtech powder measure, bearing plate for primer bar, press light kit, and bearings on the index. When I load rifle I resize/prime and then have a second tray with the chargemaster going filling cases. When I finish RS/prime, I start seating bullets while the CM is filling cases with powder. I can load 50 an hour with ease, but I also measure every round.

Pistol is easy, and when loading thousands of rounds the 650 is a better choice. The 550 as others have stated, is just a small bit more work. OH, get a roller handle also.

If considering a progressive Dillon> all other progressives on the market. The people who buy hornady/lee cannot afford the dillon.

masan you should get the bearing plate kit for the primer bar, it solves this problem. I will agree that once you figure out your not priming, you have already loaded a plate full.

Feedback Score
    Since the OP already has a Rock Chucker for his reloading needs for non high volume rifle, I think he might appreciate the XL650 more than the 550.

Either one is an outstanding press. This is like having an argument about the merits of a Porsche 911 Carerra S vs Porsche Cayman GTS. They're both awesome, just in slightly different ways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast