Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford: 2019 Ranger & 2020 Bronco . . .

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    To add perspective, I've lived in the following 6 States in the past decade: Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, South Dakota, and now Texas, and from my experience the stereotype seems pretty damning. In the event you have a more universal view, excellent. I'm not sure why this particular stereotype bothers you, but personally I don't care what people spend their money on...I simply observe what I observe, and I see the stereotype enforced more often than not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Again your experience is but a blip in the space time continuum. Haha, but honestly millions of trucks are sold a year, and a decent portion of those get lifted and so on. Your anecdotes would be in the same fraction realm as someone winning the lottery. It bothers me the same as any other in a similar fashion; old guys driving sports cars, atv/dirt bike riders, harley riders, lowriders, tuners, firearm owners, etc. I do not ascribe to it.

Feedback Score
    I think there is a disconnect here. I neither care nor have issue with how people spend their money. I simply stated a stereotype that exists in jest, but taking issue with or arguing that the stereotype does not exist or is perpetuated without justification is moronic. The stereotype exists, deal with it. You own a firearm, and due to bubbas with guns, we are subjected to stereotypes. Getting bent out of shape due to the use of that stereotype, or due to being lumped in to that stereotype simply does nothing.
    I have owned pickup trucks, and I find that owning a truck prevents one from needing to borrow one when hauling or moving items. Most of my driving is road driving, so I lacked any need for lifting my truck, and simply have better ways to spend my money. Do I care if others spend theirs to do so, no. Do I see a ton of trucks that are merely objects of affection vs real use tools, yes. Do I care, no. Is the stereotype being fed, yes. In the event you are insulted by the stereotype you can stop feeding it, or ignore it, but simply stating it is perpetuated without substance is ludicrous. As stated, tons of lift kits are sold, how many are truly necessary? Tons of vettes are sold (wish I had a 67 with the l88 427), but how many are sold to middle aged guys that drive them like sedans? See the stereotypes ring true, no need to argue that. I'm middle aged and would add to the vette stereotype if it was a priority to me, it is not so I don't. There are a ton of lifted up, well chromed and polished trucks here in Dallas that will never go off roading or be used to haul anything of substance, and of those many were purchased by those that secretly fantasize about being a cowboy/rancher/off roader/ etc. they are compensating for that missing part of their life. Not you? Then stop wasting energy being offended. I bought an xterra pro4x in Rapid City, SD and yes it is overkill for road snow driving. Now I'm in Texas, and I manage hotels, if someone called it a compensation vehicle I'd neither be offended nor care.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I think there is a disconnect here. I neither care nor have issue with how people spend their money. I simply stated a stereotype that exists in jest, but taking issue with or arguing that the stereotype does not exist or is perpetuated without justification is moronic. The stereotype exists, deal with it. You own a firearm, and due to bubbas with guns, we are subjected to stereotypes. Getting bent out of shape due to the use of that stereotype, or due to being lumped in to that stereotype simply does nothing.
    I have owned pickup trucks, and I find that owning a truck prevents one from needing to borrow one when hauling or moving items. Most of my driving is road driving, so I lacked any need for lifting my truck, and simply have better ways to spend my money. Do I care if others spend theirs to do so, no. Do I see a ton of trucks that are merely objects of affection vs real use tools, yes. Do I care, no. Is the stereotype being fed, yes. In the event you are insulted by the stereotype you can stop feeding it, or ignore it, but simply stating it is perpetuated without substance is ludicrous. As stated, tons of lift kits are sold, how many are truly necessary? Tons of vettes are sold (wish I had a 67 with the l88 427), but how many are sold to middle aged guys that drive them like sedans? See the stereotypes ring true, no need to argue that. I'm middle aged and would add to the vette stereotype if it was a priority to me, it is not so I don't. There are a ton of lifted up, well chromed and polished trucks here in Dallas that will never go off roading or be used to haul anything of substance, and of those many were purchased by those that secretly fantasize about being a cowboy/rancher/off roader/ etc. they are compensating for that missing part of their life. Not you? Then stop wasting energy being offended. I bought an xterra pro4x in Rapid City, SD and yes it is overkill for road snow driving. Now I'm in Texas, and I manage hotels, if someone called it a compensation vehicle I'd neither be offended nor care.
    You can dance around the subject all you want but adding fuel to the fire by continuing to perpetuate a fallacy is ignorant and childish. It is on the level of spreading rumors like a high school chearleader. I never said I was offended. There are stereotypes that are logical and have reasonable uses, that is not one of them. You are trying to justify it by projecting; sounds of insecurity to me. Like I originally said anyway, it was never specifically directed towards you, but it seems you took it personally. There is nothing moronic about calling out an anecdotal fallacy and attempting to lock it up.

Back to your regulary scheduled program.

I got the chance to drive a Pesh Merga Hilux on my last deployment when we were conducting a patrol through this village in the mountains of northern Iraq. I really wish they would bring those things here.

Feedback Score
    First, OP sorry this BS sidetracked your thread. Second, I'm still unsure how jokingly using an existing stereotype perpetuates it. Those that fit the stereotype and subscribe to the behavior/attributes that make up the stereotype perpetuate it. Lastly, this conversation is dead to me and I'm moving on.

Hope ford brings back the heavy duty look of the old Broncos and doesn't go with the pseudo mini van-ish appearance of the modern explorers

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Hope ford brings back the heavy duty look of the old Broncos and doesn't go with the pseudo mini van-ish appearance of the modern explorers
    If they use a crossover as a base for the next Bronco, they are insane! They need to use the 150 or start from scratch. They would be fools to tarnish the history of the Bronco doing otherwise.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Ford is going to screw the pooch with the Bronco re-launch like Toyota did with the FJ Cruiser. Automobile manufactures are a lot like firearm manufactures in that way.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Body on frame SUV's do not sell well any more. There is no way Ford will launch a body on frame Bronco.

People want the ride quality of unibody for the 90+% of their daily driving on the highway.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    You can still pick up full size 4x4s for a good price if you don't want all the luxury car items in them. I have a friend with a 2013ish model 4 door F150 4x4 with the 5.0 V8 that was only 30k. My friend's father picked up a 2015 Ram Hemi 4x4 4 door for 29k on sale. Neither of them have interiors or technology comparable to a luxury car but they are damn good trucks.
    Both of those are still extremely expensive for a toy. Different needs/strokes of course, but for me a 4x4 is just for the woods. How frequently are people driving out there? 10x a year? Why the need for a bed? One could pick up a used TJ for $10k that would crush it out there.

I live in a city. It hasn't snowed here in 10,000 years. I work in professional services. I never buy furniture. I have no desire to look foolish driving a lifted truck.

Yet, aside from the last statement, all of those apply to guys I know that drive huge diesels. I could understand if an F150 quad cab 4x4 V8 was $20k, but for the prices they pay I just scratch my head. They get terrible gas mileage, they're hard to park, people laugh at you, they're so expensive. Not debating the merits of having a truck if you are a handiman, nor am I extolling the virtuous cry of liberal environmentally driven "Why do you need it?!?", but for city folks working at Merrill Lynch where is the appeal?...

I'd rock the hell out of a tastefully lifted Tacoma 4x4 Quad Cab fs, but there ain't no way in hell I'm spending more than $25k on a new one. Anything more than that just is ridiculous. Like paying $40,000 for a Jet Ski.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-28-16 at 08:05.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is comical...if Ford releases a new Bronco and it is not a body over frame true badass capable 4x4 than all they are doing is ruining the bronco legacy. It needs to be retro to appear like the originals which were and still are badass - like they have done with the mustang. Look at the success of the 4 door jeeps and the raptor - clearly this is a market that has potential!

We actually just got my wife a new 4Runner. I wanted her to get something bigger but she wanted something in that size of SUV. The fact that it is the only body over frame SUV in that class was actually one of the biggest reasons we got it. It rides great, will run forever, and has all the lux you'd ever want. Oh and it can hang off road!!!

Personally, I drive a full size truck. On my 3rd F-150 all of which have been great! Mine is a 2012 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.0 and a 6.5' bed rolling on 35s. Why do I drive it, because it's what I want to drive just like some want a Euro, some want a mini, jeep, etc...

Is it hard to park, not really - not if you can use your mirrors. Does it suck gas - yeah about 15mpg average. Do people laugh at me; maybe but I can care less. Do I laugh when they're in the ditch? Maybe but I've also towed a few out.

To each their own but I'll take my truck any day of the week over a car or midsize...hell im even leaning towards a 3/4 ton as half tons are seemingly becoming less and less of a truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    GO ALLOUT,

One of my arguments for a long time is that Jeep has absolutely ZERO competition for the Wrangler. None.

How major manufacturers haven't stepped up, and offered a solid competitor to the Wrangler blows my mind.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast