Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aimpoint magnifiers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalarworks View Post
    Thank you very much

As far as we're concerned the Eotech STS is the benchmark that everyone should be striving to surpass. We also have an affinity for ball-detent mechanisms
    Seriously tempted to hold out for a 6X and one of your mounts.

Also, FYI, for others, the Schott glass will be used in ALL of their magnifiers (Aimpoint).

Question for those with time on the 6x...does the T2/H2 dot "hold up" under 6x magnification? I know under 3.25X (G33), it looks damn good, but I could see some of the circuit board at some times. It was not a problem, but if it were 200% worse (6x), it might annoy me. Anyone say whether it's as clean on 6x as it is at 3?
    Last edited by WS6; 05-23-16 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalarworks View Post
    [LIST=1]

Now take a T-2 with a light weight, low profile, quick detach mount like ours (total weight 5oz) and pair it with the 6x-1 (weight: 8.8oz) on top of a light weight flip-to-side mount - *cough* we have one under development that weighs 2.5oz *caugh* and you have yourself a true 1x/6x setup that weighs 16.3oz; or very nearly a full pound less than what the LVP setup weighs.

That sort of substantial weight savings is worth a lot of money to a lot of people.
    Thanks Scalarworks! Big fan of what ya'll have out on the market. I think the only drawback to a 6x magnifier would be the lack of a BDC or any other info besides a red dot if you need to take that far of a shot compared to other scopes. But of course, mission dictates your gear, so if you're looking at mainly close-range engagements, that may be a moot point!
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Thanks Scalarworks! Big fan of what ya'll have out on the market. I think the only drawback to a 6x magnifier would be the lack of a BDC or any other info besides a red dot if you need to take that far of a shot compared to other scopes. But of course, mission dictates your gear, so if you're looking at mainly close-range engagements, that may be a moot point!
    0-300 yards it shouldn't be a big deal. Magnifiers are more about precision/PID than lobbing bullets over 1/4 mile.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Scalarworks! Big fan of what ya'll have out on the market.
    Thank you very much!

I think the only drawback to a 6x magnifier would be the lack of a BDC or any other info besides a red dot if you need to take that far of a shot compared to other scopes. But of course, mission dictates your gear, so if you're looking at mainly close-range engagements, that may be a moot point!
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    0-300 yards it shouldn't be a big deal. Magnifiers are more about precision/PID than lobbing bullets over 1/4 mile.
    You're both right of course; it all depends on your operating scenario.
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I will say, a BDC would NOT be hard to add. Etched dot maybe 1/8 MOA across so as not to obscure the dot, place it in the center of the dot with the dot turned WAY down low, and then the "tree" below the BDC "reference zsero dot" would be highly effective, with your dot not being obscured or messed with at all. Very simple for a fixed optic to be outfitted this way. Now, if anyone does anything similar, this post goes down for posterity as my IP...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe I'm not getting the whole how a rear mounted magnifier works thing. A 6x mag mounted behind a T2 with a 2 moa dot would be come a 12 moa dot??? At 200 that covers 24" that's wider than the average human. At 300 that covers 36 inches. About buckle to top of head for a human. All that is assuming a perfect dot with no bloom or astigmatism affects.

I am obviously missing something cause I am not sure how one would be able to use that kind of sight picture with ANY accuracy what so ever.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Maybe I'm not getting the whole how a rear mounted magnifier works thing. A 6x mag mounted behind a T2 with a 2 moa dot would be come a 12 moa dot??? At 200 that covers 24" that's wider than the average human. At 300 that covers 36 inches. About buckle to top of head for a human. All that is assuming a perfect dot with no bloom or astigmatism affects.

I am obviously missing something cause I am not sure how one would be able to use that kind of sight picture with ANY accuracy what so ever.
    You're completely missing the physics of it. If the dot is magnified, so is the target. ANYTHING IN FRONT OF A MAGNIFIER GETS BIGGER BY THE SAME AMOUNT.

Anything shifted...is shifted the same. So if your dot shifts, the target shifts WITH IT THE SAME AMOUNT. Hence you have no POI shift when using a magnifier. I have tried to induce shift in every way I can think. None occurred. At all. At least, if it did, it was far less than 1 MOA.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-24-16 at 08:19.

Feedback Score
    It works like a FFP reticle, target gets bigger under magnification and so does the dot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I will say, a BDC would NOT be hard to add. Etched dot maybe 1/8 MOA across so as not to obscure the dot, place it in the center of the dot with the dot turned WAY down low, and then the "tree" below the BDC "reference zsero dot" would be highly effective, with your dot not being obscured or messed with at all. Very simple for a fixed optic to be outfitted this way. Now, if anyone does anything similar, this post goes down for posterity as my IP...
    How do you propose to etch a dot? The fact that a red dot sight has no physical reticle is what makes the whole largely parallax free optic work. The ability to project the aiming point onto a lens and reflect it back to the eye is what makes the red dot sight tick.

If you want to have an etched dot, what do you propose to etch this dot into? The only thing to etch it into is a lens, which in order to be zeroed will have to be physically moved. Which means no more parallax free use. Effectively what you claim to want is a 1× prismatic and a magnifier for the prismatic. This is otherwise known as a low power variable scope...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    How do you propose to etch a dot? The fact that a red dot sight has no physical reticle is what makes the whole largely parallax free optic work. The ability to project the aiming point onto a lens and reflect it back to the eye is what makes the red dot sight tick.

If you want to have an etched dot, what do you propose to etch this dot into? The only thing to etch it into is a lens, which in order to be zeroed will have to be physically moved. Which means no more parallax free use. Effectively what you claim to want is a 1× prismatic and a magnifier for the prismatic. This is otherwise known as a low power variable scope...
    It's pretty simple. You etch the dot onto the prism in the magnifier, along with the BDC tree. The dot is 1/8 to 1/16 MOA. Basically BARELY visible. You line the dot up with your RDS dot at 100 yards, so that your BDC has relevance (since the entire prism can move all over the bloody place to match whatever mount you are using). The dot then ceases to exist for all intents and purposes, as the RDS dot overpowers the faint spec. It is there only for setup. Then, you have a flawless relationship of the BDC with your RDS, and at 100 yards, Parallax shouldn't be an issue at all. At which point and beyond, you would only be using the BDC, as BDC at 25 yards makes no sense.

Ergo, you get your dot, your BDC, and a way to make them relevant to one another and eliminate parallax and account for different zeroing of the RDS based on mount height, etc. while still relating the dot perfectly to the BDC tree.

Again, I'm claiming this as my IP since noone has been bright enough to do it, yet. :P

Hell, you could fit a whole Horus tree in there if you felt like it, but I think that would be a bit...odd
    Last edited by WS6; 05-24-16 at 11:57.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast