Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aimpoint magnifiers

Feedback Score

New Aimpoint magnifiers

It was reported at SHOT that Aimpoint will be releasing 3 new magnifiers this year, two 3x and one 6x. One of the 3x will be the "civilian" one at a $300 MSRP. Does anyone have any additional information on this with release date? Is the other 3x magnifier more durable than the "Civilian" one?

I've been looking at picking up an Eotech G33 to go with my PRO, but you really can't beat that $300 entry ticket. Question is, when will these be released? I know Eotech was working on the G45 for a few years now, but looks like that didn't pan out.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    Wasn't aware anyone made a 6X magnifier. Seems like it would turn the red dot into a giant blob with that much magnification.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember hearing about them and honestly been waiting for things to hit the market and get worked out. For what I am wanting out of the magnifier the "civie" version would likely be fine for me. If MSRP is in the $300 range then maybe we see street in the $250 or less range. Would likely buy one at that point for range use, or perhaps to use to refine my zero at range. We shall see I suppose. Optics, unfortunately, are not high on my priority list this year.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Coal, it looks like the 6x was primarily designed for the T2/H2...with a MSRP of around $900.

Kain, I did some googling and it looks like the other 3x is going to retail around $700 and that will be a bit more durable than the "civie" one. I wonder if the glass is the same for both, but just the body is built differently. And I think Aimpoint will sell boatloads of the civie version if street price is around $200 and give the Vortex a run for its money.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bad aim View Post
    Coal, it looks like the 6x was primarily designed for the T2/H2...with a MSRP of around $900.

Kain, I did some googling and it looks like the other 3x is going to retail around $700 and that will be a bit more durable than the "civie" one. I wonder if the glass is the same for both, but just the body is built differently. And I think Aimpoint will sell boatloads of the civie version if street price is around $200 and give the Vortex a run for its money.
    Damn for $900 I don't see that selling all that well, my personal opinion mind you.

If the glass the same on the 3x models, and the hard use version only being a bit more durable, and waterproof down further, I don't see me spending $700 for it. It just isn't worth it to me. If I am getting into $700-900 I am going to likely go to a variable, Trijicon Accupower or something like that. That is me, but I am being honest here, I don't see what amounts to a really nice monocular being worth near that amount. (Yes, I know that really an oversimplification.) Also, I believe, and I am too lazy to check at the moment, Eotech's options are cheaper than that and work so.......

Personally, if Aimpiont can bring out the civie version, as I am going to call it, at a price point under $300 street, even better if closer to $200, that is durable enough for use, that is clear, and has the adjustable dioptic, they will rule the market. I mean between the Aimpoint name alone and just because they will be seen as a better option. Most are not going to beat the hell from the thing, I want it more for a range toy/zero helper than anything which is why I have not spent $400+ for other options out there, that and I don't have issues hitting shit at distance, but being able to refine my zero that extra half MOA would be nice. Also, if it can take a whack, a drop, and not break it will be more than fine for most I think.

That said, I am waiting for them to actually hit the street and for those who's opinions I trust to review them fully.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Wow. $900 for the 6X magnifier. Ughhhhh. Leupold will sell you a 6X20 stand alone optic with a BDC reticle with wind holds that will mount right behind your Aimpoint and requires no manipulation plus has a more useful reticle for magnified shooting. For only about $400 more. If you're going to drop $900 to get 6X and have your Aimpoint, you might as well spend a bit more and get way more capability.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    are these true 3 and 6 or are they 2.5 and 5.5 or 3.5 and 5.5?

Feedback Score
    1. The 3x-C MAG is expected out by late June and will have a street price of $276.
    2. The 3x-1 MAG is expected out by November and will have a street price of $632.
    3. The 6x-1 MAG is expected out by November and will have a street price of $816.

Don't count the 6x-1 MAG out so quickly: Most people only ever run their Low Power Variable scope at either 1 or 6; Never in between.

The most popular LVPs clock in at 25.2oz + let's say a ~7oz QD mount for a combined weight of 32.2oz.

Now take a T-2 with a light weight, low profile, quick detach mount like ours (total weight 5oz) and pair it with the 6x-1 (weight: 8.8oz) on top of a light weight flip-to-side mount - *cough* we have one under development that weighs 2.5oz *caugh* and you have yourself a true 1x/6x setup that weighs 16.3oz; or very nearly a full pound less than what the LVP setup weighs.

That sort of substantial weight savings is worth a lot of money to a lot of people.
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalarworks View Post
    1. The 3x-C MAG is expected out by late June and will have a street price of $276.
    2. The 3x-1 MAG is expected out by November and will have a street price of $632.
    3. The 6x-1 MAG is expected out by November and will have a street price of $816.

Don't count the 6x-1 MAG out so quickly: Most people only ever run their Low Power Variable scope at either 1 or 6; Never in between.

The most popular LVPs clock in at 25.2oz + let's say a ~7oz QD mount for a combined weight of 32.2oz.

Now take a T-2 with a light weight, low profile, quick detach mount like ours (total weight 5oz) and pair it with the 6x-1 (weight: 8.8oz) on top of a light weight flip-to-side mount - *cough* we have one under development that weighs 2.5oz *caugh* and you have yourself a true 1x/6x setup that weighs 16.3oz; or very nearly a full pound less than what the LVP setup weighs.

That sort of substantial weight savings is worth a lot of money to a lot of people.
    Weight savings is good and all that, and I know from experience your machine-work will be bang-on. How does your STS mechanism compare to EOTECH's, though, if what I want to know? If you direct copied it, that would be great, lol! They are SOLID, authoritative, and have no ingress for dirt.
    Last edited by WS6; 05-23-16 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Weight savings is good and all that, and I know from experience your machine-work will be bang-on. How does your STS mechanism compare to EOTECH's, though, if what I want to know? If you direct copied it, that would be great, lol! They are SOLID, authoritative, and have no ingress for dirt.
    Thank you very much

As far as we're concerned the Eotech STS is the benchmark that everyone should be striving to surpass. We also have an affinity for ball-detent mechanisms
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast