Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullet contrail was unreal today (5.56)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hmm...

I have footage of me shooting over standing water a few days ago and while you can't see the contrail on film, you can hear something weird. It's almost a high pitched "whizzing" noise.

I can get the video up, but has anyone heard anything like that? I feel like its interesting that we were shooting in almost identical conditions. Hot, muggy, Florida afternoon with lots of wet ground in front of the muzzle. Is it related to the contrail?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score

Bullet contrail was unreal today (5.56)

I have a video of the shooting, however, the shooters girlfriend was only videoing him, not down range. The very first shot shows the vapor where it first occurs, about 20-25' in front of muzzle. You see the mist blow back into the frame. The other shots don't show it. Follow the link to my photobucket.

I didn't shoot video as I was range master making sure no serious safety problems occurred. Even in this video, he starts to point unloaded, empty gun sideways.

At first, since there was such a violent puff of "smoke" just down range I thought maybe the bullet was coming apart. But we quickly saw the vapor trail continue down range. He didn't always get a hit on the 1/2 size silhouette target so I at first wasn't sure bullets were going all the way down range.

You hear the others confirm the vapor trail. His girlfriend Kristen actually says something first quietly. I'm thinking cause she isn't sure what she's seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbdesigns; 05-31-16 at 10:36.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123