Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeroing thermal - advice?

Feedback Score
    No I looked at YouTube. I was surprised on how well it show up with the little bit of heat the hand warmer puts out. When I zeroed my armasight Zeus I was surprised only had to make a "click" adjustment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm also guessing the humidity is probably play large part in the image since you are in florida. If that is the case you can't really do much

Feedback Score
    I use a candle. Put the laser on the candle, then adjust the thermal. No shots required.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the advice. It all came in really handy and we got our optics zeroed without even having to fire.

The next problem was using them We wanted to actually scan the brush and "hunt", not sit somewhere and shoot living targets. But it was so hot, so muggy, and so swampy that it was almost impossible to make anything out. Plus, every citrus tree was lit up like a ****ing Christmas tree. We were driving around the property with me on the roof with NV in one eye and thermal in the other, and I didn't see one pig. Heck, aside from two bedded deer really far away I didn't see anything (or couldn't make out) anything living at all.

Admittedly, I have not read the manual but aside from the colors are there different "settings" that see different kinds of heat signatures? Maybe we need T70s.

Instead, we just sat in the bed of the truck covered in Off with two thermacells going and shot with IR and NV at the feeder. Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday night.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 05-26-16 at 09:44.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Thermal takes some practice to read/recognize things well. But you will get used to it. I also find mornings 200x better than nights for thermal scanning. Try scanning around outside your house morning and night for a week, and you will triple you identification skills. Besides, I like my job better on days after killing something before work with thermal.....

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by or.slacker View Post
    Thermal takes some practice to read/recognize things well. But you will get used to it. I also find mornings 200x better than nights for thermal scanning. Try scanning around outside your house morning and night for a week, and you will triple you identification skills. Besides, I like my job better on days after killing something before work with thermal.....

It really is amazing even during the day how much you can see with a thermal that you miss with your naked eye. It's damn near cheating.

Find what it is in life that you do not do well......and do not do that thing....

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I've had a lot of fun with a flir ls32 while riding around in the country side. I hold the unit so the screen is diagonal giving me the largest vertical swath. I find that really good for scanning from a moving car. Thermal also works for following a blood trail, but only for about 10 minutes, then it starts getting too cold. Or at least that has been my experience. Peeing in the woods works well for testing following blood trails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12