Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 1911.... wow.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

First 1911.... wow.

About 15 years ago I briefly had a Llama 9mm 1911 clone. Due to location, I only got to shoot it twice. Sold it eventually, probably at a hefty loss.

I've recently received my first 1911 as a trade; Springfield Loaded, with some after market sights. It's my first 1911. Previously I've qualified on the M9 several times with the military, "expert," which we know doesn't take much. I've got a sig P229, Glock 19, 23 and 43 (all gen 4). I consider myself an 'ok' shooter. Most of my range time is 10-15 yards. I'm not the type that will put a magazine into a 3x5 card at those ranges (though I'm trying ..... ) but I usually keep the group around 8 inches. As I look at it, defensive ranges, center of mass. It might hit lung, mediastinum, or heart (and sometimes liver), but it'll hit them (staying perfectly still of course )

Anyway, got a chance to take the 1911 out on a recent trip. I grabbed a 4" steel revolving target, since I was out of state and had never been to the range - didn't want to deal with paper, stands, clips, etc.

At 20 yards, I was hitting 7/8 shots on average, onto that 4" target. Single/strong hand, 5-6, weak side, usually 4-5 rounds. Keep in mind, this was my second time shooting the gun (first was the day before, just to function check it. 50 round box in about 10 minutes).

For me, that's pretty good shooting, considering my usual distance and 'group' size.

Only thing I'd like better is if I could hit the slide release with one hand .... but wow. Suddenly I feel like I'm not such a crappy shooter.

Edit: I guess this isn't really a technical thread, is it? I'm just surprised, given the poor reputation I heard about 1911's growing up (and how the internet makes it seem they all need a break-in, and are picky with magazines, picky with ammo, and generally aren't super reliable).
    Last edited by Caduceus; 05-24-16 at 19:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Plastic guns have their place, but they will never shoot better than a good 1911. Congrats on the purchase.

If you are used to using the slide release, you may want to try the slingshot method. I find it easier to do and can be just as fast.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    Plastic guns have their place, but they will never shoot better than a good 1911. Congrats on the purchase.

If you are used to using the slide release, you may want to try the slingshot method. I find it easier to do and can be just as fast.
    I'll give it a shot tomorrow (no pun intended). I suspect there aren't extended slide release levers, based on the spring placement on the left side?

Feedback Score
    You didn't say what hand you were using to hit the slide release. I'm a right hand shooter, and when I slam the mag up with my left hand, I bring my left thumb down on the slide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Edit: I guess this isn't really a technical thread, is it? I'm just surprised, given the poor reputation I heard about 1911's growing up (and how the internet makes it seem they all need a break-in, and are picky with magazines, picky with ammo, and generally aren't super reliable).
    The 1911 is a very well designed gun, but it was a complicated design for the time, kinda still is. My take on the problem with them is that everybody and their brother wants in on the 1911 game, and so many of them are made with low grade materials, poor machining, and bad tolerances so they can be put out there cheap...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-24-16 at 22:35.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have the extended on mine, but only because I keep loosing the factory one every time I think about putting it back on. I love hiding things from myself.

Feedback Score
    I've had my Loaded for 16 years now, and it has never failed me.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have the extended on mine, but only because I keep loosing the factory one every time I think about putting it back on. I love hiding things from myself.

That's a fine looking 1911 sir.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Got a 9mm version of the loaded. It's a very nice pistol.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    The trigger design on the 1911 basically minimizes the results of fundamental technique errors on target where long heavy double action and striker fire type triggers magnify your every little mistake to produce larger groups on target. With proper application of fundamentals both can shoot very well, but the 1911 lets you "get away" with a few more lapses in grip or mash on the trigger than the other designs.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Mind if I ask what the model/manufacturer?

Sorry I'm late to this party, been a crazy week.

I shoot right handed; I haven't really tried the "slingshot" method to release the slide. However, when qualifying w/ the M9, I've done the left hand/slide release move, and that seems to work for me.

Cavdoc, interesting note about the trigger allowing more 'slop' in technique. Can you explain? I've seen the 1911 broken down, so I assume it has something to do with the trigger bow spreading the force along both sides of the grip?

When it comes to my comments about 'tuning' the pistol, well ... Initially the trigger wouldn't reset every time, and had a few failure to feed's. I've got a local gunsmith that's a decent guy, and he spent about a half hour polishing and greasing it up. Actually wasn't going to charge me until I insisted on it (I swear, I'm surprised he doesn't go out of business with the amount of work I don't pay him for!) Still waiting to get it out and shoot after that, but are these common issues?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast