Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millett Zoom Dot

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I ordered a zoom dot a few weeks ago for 269.00. It was American made and I just wanted to try one out. It came in the mail and fired it up and saw what looked like a black mark on the bottom half of the dot. I could only see it at its largest setting. I called Millett and they said send it back so I'm still waiting.

I played around with it for the afternoon before I mailed it back. The zoom dot comes with a nice mount, but it is too low to to cowitness with a flat top AR. I looked from in the house to outside in the bright sun and from outside in the sun to inside. The dot seemed about as bright as a Trijicon reflex sight I've use before. It seemed to work better inside than out. I liked the idea of the ability to adjust the dot size. That was my main reason for ordering one. It seems very simple. It's just the tube with a big knob that holds the battery and the electronics.

I tried to take some pictures of the dot but my camera seemed to make everything brighter than it really was. It sucks that I got a dud but I guess that happens sometimes with mail order stuff. Millett said they would repair or replace it without question. I'll post some pictures when ever I get it back. David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jhs1969 View Post
    Why not try an Aimpoint, for this price you getting near a ML2 Aimpoint's price.
    the Aimpoint doe's not come with a mount. a mount will cost at least $120.00,I have never understood why they don't include a mount .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
    anyone have one and like it ? been useing Eotech's and thourgt I might try a Zoom dot on my latest rifle (franken AR Bcm Middy upper,Arizona Armory lower RRA 2 stage trigger,Magpul CTR) found them for $269.00 and thought I might give one a try . big pissing match over at the other AR sight with the Aimpoint supporters . looking for someone with some first hand eperience with a Zoom Dot .
    GONIF,
    I have one...and its going back to Millett. But, I look forward to getting a new one back. The one I got was a pre-production unit that was given to me to conduct a T&E of same during a deployment to Iraq. Prior to shipping out I ended up tearing up my left ankle pretty good and was not able to go. I informed Millett of the situation and requested an address to send it back and was told to go ahead and keep the sight and to heal up as best I can. I couldnt believe it! Here is a company trying to get a new product off the ground and they just GAVE me a pre-production unit! Now, there is a lot more to the story as there always is but let me just say the in all my dealings w/Millet they were just an outstanding company in all matters touched apon. In fact BETTY MILLETT is one of the Saints of the Industry. Im not sure how the whole Bushnell thing is going to work out but they have a lot of good folks at Millet and I think it will be okay.

Now, as I said, the sight I have is a pre-production unit and it has inside the tube a "moisture disk" not unlike whats inside the battery compartment of a cellphone and it is my understanding that this feature did not make it to the production models. So now after having the Z/Dot for almost over two years it is this disk that is the cause for sending it back. It, for whatever reason, has broken apart and turned to powder that is swishing around inside the tube and getting on the lens. Again, this feature has not been carried over to the production sights (that are now U.S. made for anyone keeping track) and so there is no chance of you having to deal w/this. (duh! lol)

Now, the Z/Dot itself is a tough little unit. It has 5mm thick glass front and rear and a 30mm main tube that seems overly built as well. It can take a beating and still fuction as it should--trust me.

Its ability to "zoom" from 1moa to 10moa is, as it turned out, pretty usefull. I thought it was a bit of a "why the fook for?" when I first heard about it but after using the optic for awhile now I can say its a feature that makes a lot of sence and you may miss it going to a different optic after spending some time shooting w/the Z/Dot.

Battery life is good. Real good ASMOF. Ive replaced the battery of the Z/Dot once in the entire time I had it (over 2 years--pushing 3). It takes the same batt as the 2 and 3 series AimPoint so thats a good thing for some bad for others I would guess.

Auto-brightness works as advertised. One must also keep in mind that the more MOA dialed into the dot the brighter it will become. And thats a good thing IMO (cops making an entry or flooding a room will like this feature). Be advised--in a totaly dark situation--no light what so ever--the Z/Dot will over illuminate some and cause it to "bloom". I was at first put off by this but then I turned on my SureFire and there was the dot all crisp and clear. Also, it works real well shooting from a dark room into a lighted area because of this "over illumination".

The OEM mount is indeed too low for a good co-witness of any sort. But it is a stout little sucker never the less. Mine is mounted in a LaRue (of course) cantilever mount and will be for as long as I have it. Its a good combo but not the only option that will work Im sure.

Adjustments are done w/an Allen wrench and are by friction and not clicks. Again, I was "WTFing" it pretty hard but when I mounted the Z/Dot to my weapon all I had to do was match it up w/my Irons and that was that. It has held zero ever since.

There is more to be sure but since Im typing all of this out on my phone Im going to have to take a break for now! Also, sorry for the spelling. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12