Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll

19 6.86%

117 42.24%

91 32.85%
  • Other

50 18.05%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 10.5 vs 11.5 vs 14.5 for general purpose?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the military my M4 was a 14.5, and I definitely didn't have any 'choices' to make with it.

As a civilian now, I prefer a proper stock and have so much time behind a 14.5 even doing room clearing, that I don't think I would appreciate a AR pistol. (don't want to play the NFA game)
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    So if you have a NFA registered SBR (10.5" or 11.5" or whatever) can you go to other states that allow NFA registered firearms without doing anything? Or is there a process to it?

Thanks, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I may as well add my opinion to the 1000 on the thread already. I have everything from a 7.4" 300 blk up to a couple 16" guns. I really don't understand the resistance to a permed muzzle device. Maybe when you are first starting to shoot ARs and trying out different muzzle devices I could see it, but I think most people get to the point where you have a pretty good idea about what you need/want. Mine is pretty simple, I use Dead Air suppressors, so if I want a can on it, it gets a break or FH from Dead Air.

I am waiting on a pin/weld job right now on what I think will be my general purpose gun using Ballistic Advantage 14" barrel with a pinned Dead Air FH. I had a similar build with a Geissele 13" MK8 and a BE Meyers 249s that I ended up trading in part for a motorcycle a couple years ago. The more I thought about it and shot other set-ups, the more I liked the 13.7-14" barrel with a 13" handguard. For me having a GP rifle that is not NFA is nice, and when you are only about 1" longer than a 12.5, I'll save the 200 bucks and the hassle of going across state lines (when you like 15 minutes from the next state over it happens quite a bit).

The first thing it seems that people say when you talk about a 13.7-14.5 gun that's pinned/welded, you always have the "just go NFA bro" chorus. I get it, I already have $1400 in tax stamps in various stages of approval. It's nice having a bit shorter rifle without a stamp sometimes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    So if you have a NFA registered SBR (10.5" or 11.5" or whatever) can you go to other states that allow NFA registered firearms without doing anything? Or is there a process to it?

Thanks, NYH1.
    you have to notify BAFTE and receive prior auth
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I may as well add my opinion to the 1000 on the thread already. I have everything from a 7.4" 300 blk up to a couple 16" guns. I really don't understand the resistance to a permed muzzle device. Maybe when you are first starting to shoot ARs and trying out different muzzle devices I could see it, but I think most people get to the point where you have a pretty good idea about what you need/want. Mine is pretty simple, I use Dead Air suppressors, so if I want a can on it, it gets a break or FH from Dead Air.

I am waiting on a pin/weld job right now on what I think will be my general purpose gun using Ballistic Advantage 14" barrel with a pinned Dead Air FH. ...
    I have this exact setup (I mentioned it above) and think it’s fantastic. And an accurate lightweight barrel too.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

Thanks, NYH1.
    You have to ask permission from the ATF to remove the SBR from the state. However if you configure it with a non-NFA upper, it is no longer considered an SBR and can cross state lines without permission.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    11.5-12.5" is perfect for me. If there was no NFA, I'd probably only have one 16-20" AR and the rest would fall in the 12" range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ginzomatic View Post
    you have to notify BAFTE and receive prior auth
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    You have to ask permission from the ATF to remove the SBR from the state. However if you configure it with a non-NFA upper, it is no longer considered an SBR and can cross state lines without permission.
    Thanks.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks, NYH1.

BATFE form 5320.20

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...earms/download

So, as above, prior written authorization is required.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    BATFE form 5320.20

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...earms/download

So, as above, prior written authorization is required.
    Same form used to change one’s address for a permanent move as well, IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011