Thread: New Federal Premium LE Load for 2016?

Feedback Score

New Federal Premium LE Load for 2016?

I happened across an article on CTD that summarized the new ammo being released by mfgs. in 2016. Under the synopsis for Federal Premium, the author discussed a new Ballistic Tip offering coming to their LE line; to be released in both .223 and .308. I'll include a link to the whole article, but for those wanting only the pertinent quote, it goes as follows.

"In the law-enforcement line, Federal has two Tactical Ballistic Tip loads—one in .223 Remington and one in .308 Winchester. The Tactical Ballistic Tip bullet’s polymer tip provides excellent accuracy, while the tapered jacket allows rapid—yet controlled—expansion on impact. The new .223 Rem. and .308 Win. loads are specifically designed for use in semi-automatic rifles, including M-16 or AR-15 variants. The ammunition is built to military specifications and utilizes low-flash propellants, the best Federal brass, and crimped primers."
    http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/shot...-4-ammunition/

Federal's 2016 LE Catalogue list this new round as the T223T, and no longer lists the T223F. Both the older "F" and newer "E" are 55gr pills, with the former being a Nosler Ballistic Tip. While referenced in the 2016 Catalogue, on Federal's LE Website the new "T" version is not listed and, instead, the older "F" version remains.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Might this be an "updated" replacement of the T223F? If so, is it still using the Nosler round?

I still think the best thing to recently hit the civilian market for carbine SD was Federal's release of the Trophy Bonded Tip in their Vital Shok hunting line, but this mystery round has me intrigued.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score

Part II (updated with more info from the Federal LE Catalogue)

I scrolled to the ballistic data at the end of Federal's LE catalogue and see a LE223TT3 and LE308TT2. Perhaps this is what the CTD article is referencing? In that case it would be a LE Version of the Vital Shok round. It's odd though, in that Federal does not show the LE223TT3 earlier in their catalogue, and still doesn't explain what the new T223T might be.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I scrolled to the ballistic data at the end of Federal's LE catalogue and see a LE223TT3 and LE308TT2. Perhaps this is what the CTD article is referencing? In that case it would be a LE Version of the Vital Shok round. It's odd though, in that Federal does not show the LE223TT3 earlier in their catalogue, and still doesn't explain what the new T223T might be.
    LE223TT3 is the Trophy Bonded 62gr loaded to .223 pressure (3050fps / 24" barrel).
    LE223T is an addition to the TRU duty line, and is a 55gr Ballistic Tip loaded to .223 pressure (listed as 3220fps from a 24" barrel).

What I would like to know...is the nickel plating on the Trophy Bonded Tip going to prove to be a raging bitch to get out of my barrel if I fire a few hundred rounds of it?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input on the 223T. Do we know who actually makes the bullet?

Regarding the LE223TT3, is it any different than the civilian version they sell in the Vital Shok line? It's also listed at 3050/FPS. Seems like the same round, but in a different box. That wouldn't be all that surprising, as I believe Federal did the same at one point with the LE223T3 and/or LE223T1. I came across some of the P223TT3 by happenstance at a small chain of outdoors stores in Ohio. Had it for a little over $25 a box. It was a pretty exciting find, as the TBBC has always been a scarce commodity. I haven't shot any of it yet. I will say it's some beautiful looking ammo. I also expect it to group very well, and wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most accurate of the "recommended" loads.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for the input on the 223T. Do we know who actually makes the bullet?

Regarding the LE223TT3, is it any different than the civilian version they sell in the Vital Shok line? It's also listed at 3050/FPS. Seems like the same round, but in a different box. That wouldn't be all that surprising, as I believe Federal did the same at one point with the LE223T3 and/or LE223T1. I came across some of the P223TT3 by happenstance at a small chain of outdoors stores in Ohio. Had it for a little over $25 a box. It was a pretty exciting find, as the TBBC has always been a scarce commodity. I haven't shot any of it yet. I will say it's some beautiful looking ammo. I also expect it to group very well, and wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the most accurate of the "recommended" loads.
    Is your ammo sealed neck and primer? The sealant may be clear to blue in color. You may have to look very close at the neck , or pull one down to tell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Is your ammo sealed neck and primer? The sealant may be clear to blue in color. You may have to look very close at the neck , or pull one down to tell.
    Okay. I didn't pull one, so I can't say with 100% certainty. That being said, the Primer looks to be sealed. Has a faint bluish tinge around the primer. Could be in my head, as the thought to look for blue was in the back of my mind. But, I had my wife look at it and asked if she could see any color around the primer. After explaining what a primer was, she did say that it almost looked like there was "some blue stuff around it". The Neck is harder to tell. It's certainly lacking that same bluish color, but it could be sealed with clear.

I've not had experience pulling bullets, so I'm a little apprehensive about trying it. Unless it can be done relatively easily with normal household tools, I may have to settle for eyeballing it.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Okay. I didn't pull one, so I can't say with 100% certainty. That being said, the Primer looks to be sealed. Has a faint bluish tinge around the primer. Could be in my head, as the thought to look for blue was in the back of my mind. But, I had my wife look at it and asked if she could see any color around the primer. After explaining what a primer was, she did say that it almost looked like there was "some blue stuff around it". The Neck is harder to tell. It's certainly lacking that same bluish color, but it could be sealed with clear.

I've not had experience pulling bullets, so I'm a little apprehensive about trying it. Unless it can be done relatively easily with normal household tools, I may have to settle for eyeballing it.

This is what it would look like somewhat:http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/mr...ewsew.jpg.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is what it would look like somewhat:http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/mr...ewsew.jpg.html
    Thanks. I'll watch a couple videos on pulling bullets and then ponder giving it a try.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    They make a tool. Kinetic impact bullet puller.