Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 870 hammer dented

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

870 hammer dented

I recently got my 870 back from VangComp where I had them install a 870 police trigger group. I just noticed after taking it apart and cleaning, that my hammer has a good size dent. My concern is how it got there...not if it came from VangComp like this.

How can this happen?...or did the hammer possibly come like that?

Can my OE express hammer replace the hammer in my police trigger group?...don't know if there is a difference between the two.

20160531_162040.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good news is that is well below where the hammer hits the firing pin.

Bad news is that replacing the hammer is generally a gunsmithing type deal, Remington hasn't taught that in their LE armorer courses for a long while.

The reasoning is that the hammer pin and hammer pin washer are riveted/staked into place and you have to pretty much ruin the old pin driving it out, then get a new pin, hold the hammer pin washer snug and restake/river the pin. In addition that pin holds the action bar lock and you have to make sure the action bar lock spring is routed correctly. I can generally get it done correctly first time, but I wasted a couple agency hammer pins getting it down.

That 'police' trigger group must have set you back some, that Timney adjustable sear is definitely not a factory item. It may be possible that Vang stoned the mating surfaces on the hammer and sear, if so it wouldn't be a good idea to swap the one from your Express group.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does the bolt ride over that specific spot?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably, but hard to say from the angle of your photo.

The 870 has two styles of hammer, if you could get a side shot of the hammer in the fired position maybe we could tell for sure. I looks as if you have a non-metal trigger plate assembly, so I would guess it is the newer hammer.

Also, unless they built your trigger assembly from scratch, replacing the trigger pin is added expense, and enough of a pain in the rear that I doubt they would routinely change hammers without any need.

In your picture the lighting may be deceptive. If you look at where the shiny portion ends below the nick in the hammer, you see what appears to be an angle and the material gets darker. Just a short distance down, the material gets lighter and it appears there is another angle. That doesn't fit the hammer profiles I'm familiar with, as I said it could be deceptive lighting. I'd like to see it from the side.

Have you called Vang about this?
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-01-16 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    "That 'police' trigger group must have set you back some, that Timney adjustable sear is definitely not a factory item. It may be possible that Vang stoned the mating surfaces on the hammer and sear, if so it wouldn't be a good idea to swap the one from your Express group"

Yea.. The timney sear would double the cost of the group if they installed it for nothing! I thought the police group difference was only the sear spring, lifter spring and metal housing. If I were the OP I wouldn't run that group with the flawed hammer. Everything about the group pictured looks like it was carved with a chainsaw.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe it's just a casting flaw.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Maybe it's just a casting flaw.
    Even more reason to ditch it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had the timney kit in my old trigger group. Sent my 870 in for some work at VangComp. Had them enlarge the loading port and ejection port while they had it. In order to enlarge the loading port, you need the metal trigger housing. So that was the reason I bought the police trigger group.

Again, I do not remember that dent after receiving it from VangComp. Curiots what could cause it. I will take more pictures tomorrow

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow! I didn't figure that was a metal trigger plate because of what appear to be unfinished mould markings on either side of the hammer, as well as the kind of jagged seam/line by your thumb, above the trigger pin bushing. A lot of our 870P trigger plates are natural metal finish on the top side. I just went and pulled one of our spares out, the difference in apparent quality of the plate itself is astounding.

I'm even more glad all my personal 870's are over 20 years old (and Wingmasters).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    20160602_083953.jpg

Here is a side view...

Who can I send my trigger group to and have them replace my hammer?...haven't found a good how to video on how to replace the hammer.

I'm just really curious on how this happened, as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast