Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Long stroke SureFire Carrier

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Which I really like. From the get-go, I've felt the AR/M4 system doesn't have enough over-run.

That said...this counter-weight and springs...what happens when a boatload of carbon gets in there? Is it removable? How does this work for cleaning?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    A SF carrier owner needs to take one for the team and test this...

Is the SF buffer shorter than a standard carbine buffer? If so, what is the length difference?
    .4", I would think. The carrier is standard length, that is the extra stroke they are claiming.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The Surefire OBC buffer is 2.860" inches long. The Surefire OBC is within approx .015" OAL of a BCM BCG. The longer stroke of the Surefire OBC, is because the carrier key has been cut back .400" thousands of an inch.

Last edited by Biggy; 10-02-19 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How long are carbine buffers? How much longer is an A5 buffer than a carbine one? I'd be interested in if you could run this carrier to its full stroke with a carbine buffer and A5 receiver extension giving the end user the ability to change buffer weight. I would think the spring will need consideration here, but maybe just carbine springs and buffers in the A5 tube would be the ticket?

Any way I guess I'll fid out. I ordered on to run in My 11.5" BCM barreled SBR with a Surefire Socom RC on it. The barrel has BCM largish gas port unrestricted. I previously ran a LMT enhanced carrier so I'll be comparing to that. It has the factory colt carbine receiver extension so I'll at least start with the supplied Sure fire buffer/spring and carbine extension. Likely I'll just run it as designed.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Buffer data

CAR buffer is ~ 3.25"
    A5 buffer is ~4.00" => .75" longer than CAR
    OBC buffer ~ 2.86" => .39" shorter than CAR

An A5 tube with a .36" spacer in the bottom should allow the OBC to work with standard CAR buffers.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Buffer data

CAR buffer is ~ 3.25"

An A5 tube with a .36" spacer in the bottom should allow the OBC to work with standard CAR buffers.
    Agreed. I have never so much as set eyes on the A5 system but I gather from this, Clint, that with the buffer being longer, I guess the tube is longer by the same amount, right, so the stroke is the same? What with the carrier key being the actual, final, stroke limiter (as in, if it's hitting, you have a problem).

And being as how the OBC allows a .400 longer stroke, and the A5 tube is .750 deeper (right?) that's a ~ .350 dif. We need a buffer of 3.600. Putting a standard carbine buffer in there comes up .350 short. So I guess if the goal is to be able to use standard carbine buffers with the OBC, you could do it with the A5 tube IF you but a .350 spacer in there. That begs some tests of making spacers of maybe .400 or .450 that are soft and fluffy, and see how that effects the perceived cycle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At some point it might be nice to compare the new Surefire system with something less expensive (and simpler) such as the buffer from Armament.

https://armamentusa.com/

As I understand it, the buffer works in a similar manner. The buffer has an internal weight that's held in place by a strong spring. The spring delays weight movement.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-03-19 at 20:32.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    The Surefire OBC buffer is 2.860" inches long. The Surefire OBC is within approx .015" OAL of a BCM BCG. The longer stroke of the Surefire OBC, is because the carrier key has been cut back .400" thousands of an inch.
    Thank you for the detailed pictures. I really appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Buffer data

CAR buffer is ~ 3.25"

Using an A5 RE with a carbine buffer (in conjunction with the SF carrier) is what I was getting at.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast