Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Long stroke SureFire Carrier

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Thoughts on potential damage to the bolt catch from the bolt carrier traveling forward into it with momentum on the last round, as a result of the carriers over travel?
    This is a real and honest concern. I fear it will only be answered in time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    People with properly gassed carbines are reporting differently. One person I sold a Hodge 12.5 barrel to, could not achieve function with the LMT Enhanced carrier, and swapping to a mil-spec carrier returned proper function to the weapon. The LMT vents too much gas for a properly gassed gun.
    Interesting. That runs contrary to what others on this forum have experienced:

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm running an LMT Enhanced Carrier with a standard bolt on suppressed 11.5" shorty with an adjustable gas block. It runs good
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    If it is accurate that a small port sbr is the only concern, I'd would be interesting to see you turn yours down until you don't get lock back, then swap in a standard bcg and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Been there, done that. The standard carrier needed the gas port opened one click compared to the LMT Enhanced Carrier
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...question/page2

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    For testing purposes, I loaded up a PMAG with one round and installed the SF K Suppressor on the barrel. Fired one round. BCG locked back. SUCCESS! Wanting to see what I could get away with, I installed an H3 buffer. Loaded one round and got the bolt to lock back again! Cool I thought. Now let’s test this upper WITHOUT the suppressor on it (as I need the weapon to still cycle without the can on, but does not need to lock back). There is a VERY fine line here between the weapon extracting the round, picking up a new round, but not locking back.

With the suppressor off, I loaded one round into the mag and fired the weapon. No brass came out. Hmmm. I pulled back the CH and ejected the spent casing. I removed H3 buffer and installed an H2 and tried it again. No joy. Removed the H2 and went to an H buffer. Still no luck. Removed the H and installed a Car Buffer. Again, no luck. Now I am really wondering what is going on. The spring that is installed in the lower is a CS spring so I thought that was what was doing me in. I grabbed a standard SS carbine buffer spring and stayed with the Car buffer. Same result. The casing had to be manually removed. Grrrrrrr!!!

At the end of my rope with this configuration, I told Adam (board member that works in my shop part time) what was happening and he suggested that we install the LMT Enhanced Carrier that we used in my 10.5 upper. I said; “that won’t make any difference as it is actually going to remove more pressure and make it worse.” Boy was I wrong! This is where the story gets interesting and is the lesson on extractor dwell time.

I removed the Fail Zero BCG and installed the LMT Enhanced Carrier and Standard Bolt. I kept the SS buffer spring and Car Buffer. The suppressor is still off the weapon. I loaded one round and fired the weapon! VICTORY! The casing ejected from the weapon! With this success, I loaded up two rounds in the mag to see if the BCG would come back far enough to pick up and load the second round. Success again! Now I wanted to see how heavy a buffer I could get away with. I tried H, H2 and H3. All worked with the H3 pushing the envelope and only getting an ejection distance about two feet.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...essed-SBR-Ever

Perhaps this is on a case by case basis?

When I have the chance, I will test my LMT Enhanced carrier against a standard Colt carrier on a 20" barrel with an SLR adjustable gas block and report the results here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Thoughts on potential damage to the bolt catch from the bolt carrier traveling forward into it with momentum on the last round, as a result of the carriers over travel?
    I have about 2,000 rounds on the rifle described in post #227 of this thread and 16,000 rounds on an Adams Arms piston gun with 0.4" of extended travel and have had no issues with breaking the bolt catch on either gun. Springs are Tubb AR-15 flat wires. Granted, the competition gun has esssentially no buffer weight and the piston gun is using Bill Alexander's Enidine hydraulic buffer which moderates the impact of its mass on forward travel so results may be different with a standard H2 or H3 buffer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That spring doesn't hurt either vs a round extra power spring. On a side note, I am fond of the flat recoil spring characteristics in ARs.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is a real and honest concern. I fear it will only be answered in time.
    Thats why Im just monitoring this product for now. Not willing to throw in $400 just to test this just yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    That spring doesn't hurt either vs a round extra power spring. On a side note, I am fond of the flat recoil spring characteristics in ARs.
    I love Tubb's flat wire springs. There is a much less pronounced increase in resistance throughout the deflection range of the spring. Since the force of Tubb's spring in the closed bolt position is identical to a Springco blue spring but is 2 lbs, lighter in the open bolt position, you are right in that it helps with unduly battering the bolt catch.

Tubb goes into specific numbers in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMVZbrnvu8

The important thing to note is that the 36 coil flat wire has the same weight in the closed bolt position (10.5 lbs) as a Sprinco Red while being slightly lighter than a standard AR spring in the open bolt position (16.3 vs. 16.7 lbs). In contrast, the Sprinco Red weighs in at 18.4 lbs. with the bolt open.

Granted, this is in a rifle length receiver extension but I'm pretty certain the benefits are still there in a carbine tube.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    InRangeTV just did a video on it.

Nothing we don't already already know, but the footage is pretty good quality.

https://youtu.be/Rs1kb5IBceE

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Bill G. says they are working on a new AR offering partnering with SureFire. I suspect they are going to be making a carbine based on the OBC. Watch this video

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mig1nc,

That video is very interesting, and I bet (read: pure speculation) that they incorporated a longer cam-pathway and slightly different geometry from the OBC into their BCGs to get the performance that they are claiming. Looking at the bolt in the video, it seems to be standard length as well. Geissele is doing some really, really cool things, and it's getting more difficult for me to justify most other manufacturers' offerings if they are comparable to a Geissele product.

I'm eyeing up an OBC to refresh an SPR build (largely just "because") which is running an H2 and a carbine-length tube at the moment. The rifle functions wonderfully at the moment, but I'll be curious to see how the OBC affects follow-up shots at distance.

We are living in a really cool time for subtle innovations on the AR platform.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I have publicly commented that this type of design mod would be beneficial....and here it is:

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/25/sofic-suppressed-optimized-bolt-carrier-group-long-stroke-from-surefire/

Longer stroke via shaving the rear gas key screw and a shortened buffer. THIS is an improvement. I'm excited to see what research SF reveals about their product development.
    Very interesting concept. It will be fun to see it get reviewed and tested.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast