Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint T1 mount Larue or Scalarworks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aimpoint T1 mount Larue or Scalarworks

Just trying to get some opinions out there. Any input would be appreciated. Lt751 or Scalarworks. Looking at the absolute. Using the optic on a MP 15.
    Last edited by Gharddog03; 06-04-16 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You can find a ton of info if you search. Quick of it is, Scalarworks is better designed, and lighter than LaRue.

LaRues are working fine for me, and I'm in no rush to change, but if I were to another Aimpoint new today, it'd be attached a Scalarworks or Bobro mount.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have Bobros and Larues. Both work as intended with no problems. Design wise, I prefer the Bobro.

That being said, my next T2 will be on a Scalarworks.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I have bobro, adm, Larue, and just picked up a T2 in Scalarworks last week. I am more impressed then I thought I would be. Just everything about it looks good. Mounts solid, easy on and off and is stupid light. I didn't think I would care for it that much til it got in my hand. Now I would have to say it might be my new favorite..
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    I have been a long time user of LaRue mounts. I also use various other mounts and have never had any issues---Until I tried the Scalarworks. LaRue has great customer service and they work. Bobro has a great reputation and they work. Some folks claim they are a bit wide. I needed another T2 for a recent build for which weight was a factor, so with my research, Scalarworks seemed to be the best mount. I called Scalarworks directly and spoke to them. I will say they seem passionate about their product. I would say they have excellent customer service, hence you can buy with confidence. I ordered the T2 package. It was shipped promptly and it is very lightweight. It is a good looking, impressive piece of gear. The issue I had was that when I installed it on my BCM, the scope would wobble. You could move it back and forth with your hand. The clamp was rock solid on the rail. Hence, I mounted it on my LMT, Colt, LaRue and another BCM--all with the same problem. I called Scalarworks and they immediately sent me a return label and credited my credit card and apologized. They said the cmc machine or operator must of made an error. Excellent customer service. My thought is that they will have to redesign the mount. First my finger tight and someone else is different. Yet they say to turn the wheel finger tight. There are a lot of little parts in the wheel mechanism, that time and hard use may show a weakness. The major issue I see, is that on the bobro and LaRue the mount does one thing--it mounts to the rail. Not so on the Scalarworks. The clamp is used to mount to the rail AND complete the mount by dovetailing into the mount. Hence it must be a precision fit. On my mount, it was off and the bottom of the clamp tightened up on the rail, but the part that was to dovetail into the mount was off by .6000. Hence the wobble. I could slip a piece of paper between the mount and the clamp. I think they need to redesign it so the clamp has one job--clamping to the rail. Just my thoughts.
    Regards, SSC

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    I have been a long time user of LaRue mounts. I also use various other mounts and have never had any issues---Until I tried the Scalarworks. LaRue has great customer service and they work. Bobro has a great reputation and they work. Some folks claim they are a bit wide. I needed another T2 for a recent build for which weight was a factor, so with my research, Scalarworks seemed to be the best mount. I called Scalarworks directly and spoke to them. I will say they seem passionate about their product. I would say they have excellent customer service, hence you can buy with confidence. I ordered the T2 package. It was shipped promptly and it is very lightweight. It is a good looking, impressive piece of gear. The issue I had was that when I installed it on my BCM, the scope would wobble. You could move it back and forth with your hand. The clamp was rock solid on the rail. Hence, I mounted it on my LMT, Colt, LaRue and another BCM--all with the same problem. I called Scalarworks and they immediately sent me a return label and credited my credit card and apologized. They said the cmc machine or operator must of made an error. Excellent customer service. My thought is that they will have to redesign the mount. First my finger tight and someone else is different. Yet they say to turn the wheel finger tight. There are a lot of little parts in the wheel mechanism, that time and hard use may show a weakness. The major issue I see, is that on the bobro and LaRue the mount does one thing--it mounts to the rail. Not so on the Scalarworks. The clamp is used to mount to the rail AND complete the mount by dovetailing into the mount. Hence it must be a precision fit. On my mount, it was off and the bottom of the clamp tightened up on the rail, but the part that was to dovetail into the mount was off by .6000. Hence the wobble. I could slip a piece of paper between the mount and the clamp. I think they need to redesign it so the clamp has one job--clamping to the rail. Just my thoughts.
    Regards, SSC
    Not sure I am following.. Your mount was off by over half an inch? .600? When you say the scope (T2) would move, this is in what direction? Side to side, front to back? And the mount is moving, not the optic, correct? I have mine in front of me right now, trying to get a grasp on what your saying, but not exactly sure I'm following.

Just to comment on the finger tight. Finger tight is as tight as physically possible with only my fingers. So just nice and easy is maybe half of clamping force of finger tight. IMO.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 06-04-16 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Here is a pic of the clamp portion apart from the mount. It fits into the mount and clamps the rail. I can't see with it tight, how it would move, but like you said, maybe something was machined wrong.. do these pics help in explaining it?

Update... 8 clicks from finger tight, I can not move it side to side (or wobble) and can only slide the mount forward and back in the rail slot. That's with 8 clicks left til finger tight.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 09-22-16 at 10:59.

Feedback Score
    It was off by.6000. I could slip paper between the mount and where it is L fit. I wish I knew how to draw a circle on your pictures. It moved from side to side. Yes the machining was off. Before I mounted it, it was rock solid. However the part of the clamp that attaches to the rail was tight and the upper half that tightens to the mount was not--allowing the wobble when I mounted it. I have video and pics. Will try to download, not sure I know how. I will check in this evening as I am running out the door. Correct, the mount moving not optic.
    Regards, SSC

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    It was off by.6000. I could slip paper between the mount and where it is L fit. I wish I knew how to draw a circle on your pictures. It moved from side to side. Yes the machining was off. Before I mounted it, it was rock solid. However the part of the clamp that attaches to the rail was tight and the upper half that tightens to the mount was not--allowing the wobble when I mounted it. I have video and pics. Will try to download, not sure I know how. I will check in this evening as I am running out the door. Correct, the mount moving not optic.
    Regards, SSC
    Sounds good. But I'm guessing .06 is what you mean. Or even .006. .6 is half the height of the entire mount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm leaning towards the Scalarworks. Thanks for the great info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast