Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75gr Gold Dot out of SBR and hunting use

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

75gr Gold Dot out of SBR and hunting use

I searched. There's one decent thread by WS6 about this load, but not much else.

The 75gr GD seems to have a velocity of ~2100 FPS out of a 10.5", with the 64gr being a bit faster. I'm wondering which would be the better choice between those two for an SBR? Is the 75gr too slow to expand at anything but in your face distances?

On that same note, if one were to also use this bullet for hunting (to consolidate ammo) if the 75gr or 64gr would be better or if a different bullet entirely would be substantially better.

ETA: I plugged some numbers in using what I've found on the internet (oh boy) Thanks to WS6 for doing lots of testing on GDHP loads.

75gr BC 0.4
    Velocity out of 20" 2650 FPS
    Velocity out of 10.5" 2100 FPS

64gr BC 0.277
    Velocity out of 20" 2800 FPS
    Velocity out of 10.5" 2500 FPS

For the SBR at 300 yards (long enough to get data, not too far to be meaningless):
    64gr: 19.5" of drop; 1657fps; 390 ft-lbs
    75gr: 26.1" of drop; 1573fps; 412 ft-lbs

For the 20" at 300 yards:
    64gr: 14.3" of drop; 1893fps; 509 ft-lbs
    75gr: 14.2" of drop; 2036fps; 690 ft-lbs

It seems as if the 75gr is a better SPR/hunting bullet, whereas the 64gr is better suited to SBR purposes due to the higher velocity (and likelihood to expand) at distance?

It's also remarkable that at 300 yards a 75gr GD at 2036 fps has more energy than a Barnes 110gr TAC-TX bullet fired from a 300BLK.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 06-07-16 at 08:20.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Interesting thread. Thanks I am trying to decide myself between the two rounds. Seriously though why can't they load this stuff at 556 pressure for more velocity?

75gr will buck wind better at distance. Not sure if the little difference in velocity at close ranges is going to matter as long as they both expand at the velocity on impact maybe more penetration but with your number the heavier 75gr still has more energy in both cases.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-really-matter
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 06-07-16 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you thought about the new TAP SBR round?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    PSA has Gold Dots (64 and 75gr daily deals going on today) for $10/box. For that money I will rock Gold Dots over TAP T2 at $25/20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hunting what? I certainly wouldn't shoot hogs or whitetail with that load.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hogs and white tail. Why not? What would you use?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    Hunting what? I certainly wouldn't shoot hogs or whitetail with that load.
    Whitetail don't get nearly as big down south. .223 with good shot placement is more than sufficient. Never used on hog tho.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Hogs and white tail. Why not? What would you use?
    Not a 10.5" SBR. The 75 is too slow to reliably expand, and both have a very short effective range. .223 is fine for whitetail, but a 10.5" gun is basically ".233 lite."

If you insist, I believe Black Hills 77 TMK would be the very best deer ammo from a 10.5" barrel. Keep the range to under 100 yards, though.

But why not bring your precision gun and get that TAP 75gr up to speed?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    Not a 10.5" SBR. The 75 is too slow to reliably expand, and both have a very short effective range. .223 is fine for whitetail, but a 10.5" gun is basically ".233 lite."

If you insist, I believe Black Hills 77 TMK would be the very best deer ammo from a 10.5" barrel. Keep the range to under 100 yards, though.

But why not bring your precision gun and get that TAP 75gr up to speed?
    I apologize I didn't make that clear in the OP.

The 20" is going to be used for hunting, and the 10.5 will never be used for hunting.

I was asking if the 64gr or 75gr would be better suited for hunting, and if it worked well for hunting would also suffice as a self defense round in an SBR.

However, it appears I have my answer unless I am missing something. The 75gr will be a better hunting round out of the 20" and the 64gr will be a better self defense round out of the 10.5" SBR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oooooh, that makes all kinds of sense. Yes, you can totally consolidate, and the 75gr GD is a perfect round for those applications.

I say to use the 75gr round, assuming that if you're using a 10.5" gun for SD use, it's going to be pretty damn close. And heck, if they are more than 50yd away, just ice-picking them with a 69 SMK would be enough to seriously reduce their ability to do you harm at that distance. 75gr GDs are way better than that, even at low speed.

Honestly, a 75gr GD at 10.5" velocity is probably not a terrible whitetail round. It will expand at least somewhat out to 100+, and penetrate well. But, hunting and SD terminal performance are different things in my book. Sub-optimal hunting round lethality can EASILY be avoided because there's just no reason to make the kind of trades you would for SD. I get annoyed when I see people using stuff like 300BLK subsonic loads for deer and hogs, when they are clearly only doing so for the cool tactical image, not for valid hunting reasons. (Not implying you were saying that, but that's how I mis-read you, so that's where I was coming from). I don't want to open that old can of worms, but this isn't TOS, so I think we can agree to these facts:

• Even with 5.56 (as opposed to a pistol round), a CNS hit is the only way to actually drop someone instantly.
    • Most people stop fighting when they realize they have been shot (for unclear and very debatable reasons, but the correlation is there.)
    • Humans are somewhat soft targets compared to deer.
    • If someone is shot and leaving the scene, how fast they bleed out and how much of a blood trail they leave are not a concern.
    • Follow-up shots matter, so low recoil and high round count are huge assets in a gunfight. Not so much with hunting.

For all those reasons, I prefer to put a lot more snot behind a bullet headed towards a 150lb game animal vs. a human. I mean, if I could magically get a 168gr Ballistic Tip moving 3200fps from my 11.5" SBR, with the same size and recoil and ammo count as my 5.56, I'd take it. That round (300 WSM) puts a hole in a deer you can stick an arm through, and would certainly end a firefight real quick. But given all the other tradeoffs that are actually involved, I'm willing to trade WAY down on terminal performance vs. humans.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast