Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75gr Gold Dot out of SBR and hunting use

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I haven't looked up the thresholds for each round, but judging by other similarly constructed rounds, TMK won't fragment as far downrange as GD will expand. It's (TMK) also NOT a hunting round unless you're only going for head/neck shots.

Euro, for a 10.5" or 11.5", I'd go for the 62/64 gr. version of GD and not look back. If you see Docs recommendations, with a good bonded round, you don't need the heavier bullets.

ETA: just saw the two updated posts above mine. Euro, I've hunted with 70gr TSX out of a 16", and while it does the job, I would limit it to 100yds (even though I have made a kill at 365 yds - but it was a headshot). I've since built a 308 for my hunting needs.

My recommendation above of which I would chose, still stands either way.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 06-08-16 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    Hunting what? I certainly wouldn't shoot hogs or whitetail with that load.
    I wouldn't have an issue using these on a hog. I use Hornady 75gr BTHP out of a 16" AR regularly to take feral hog from ~150yds up to smell distance. When I've had exits within that range its golf ball or slightly larger sized exit holes.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies guys. It seems I can't go wrong with either load for either application, but I will for sure stick with 75gr for the 20" in a hunting role. I know DocGKR likes the 64gr GD but to my knowledge he has not tested (or has not revealed) the 75gr GD. He simply said "Coming soon" on Lightfighter. Almost 2 years ago.

I also agree with the bullets you posted, x-fil.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I know it's old but I want to add.

Usually some form of 75 or 77 otm is what I shoot pigs with, I'm using a 10.3 colt.
    I was given two boxes of 75gr gold dot and asked to shoot a trapped pig.

While the first shot was "fatal" and "took the fight out of" a ~150lb boar. It took 6 to actually anchor him. The bullets were passing through and not causing damage.

The hpbt variety of heavy bullets has given me a very different result. I can see them(gold dot 75gr) being better vs intermediate barriers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    While the first shot was "fatal" and "took the fight out of" a ~150lb boar. It took 6 to actually anchor him. The bullets were passing through and not causing damage.
    I hope they perform better from a 16" barrel as it is the load I have chosen.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I hope they perform better from a 16" barrel as it is the load I have chosen.
    They expand well out of any barrel length...

I know it's old but I want to add.

Usually some form of 75 or 77 otm is what I shoot pigs with, I'm using a 10.3 colt.
    I was given two boxes of 75gr gold dot and asked to shoot a trapped pig.

The hpbt variety of heavy bullets has given me a very different result. I can see them(gold dot 75gr) being better vs intermediate barriers.

Short hand terminal ballistics: SBR = less velocity = less and slower/later expansion = more penetration.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-19-21 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Interesting thread.

I am currently coyote hunting with a 12.5” Noveske and 75gr GDs.

I am considering using the same rifle and ammo combo for deer. It would be much easier than my heavy and big 6.5CM in thick brush.

How things stay the same…

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Figured I'd add ~7yd was distance.

Ymmv but I don't think I'll buy gd or fusion 223/556

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Figured I'd add ~7yd was distance.

Ymmv but I don't think I'll buy gd or fusion 223/556
    No, you just dont understand terminal ballistics, these bullets have an expansion floor of 1600 fps. By far the lowest out of the duty/defensive loads. This round is a better killer on game than TSX or GMX. I bet if you actually recovered the bullets you'll find they were fully expanded.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...to-come)/page2
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-19-21 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    They were passing through and hitting the dirt/grass behind him.

This is not a question of my understanding of ballistics. This is me saying I watched a pig take a few to the head and "get confused" and eat a few to the vitals before "giving up"

I didn't test em on gel, I killed something with em and didn't like the results. I have had excellent luck with the heavy bthp though.

They were barrier blind to my target
    Last edited by elia.jon1; 09-20-21 at 12:32. Reason: Adding

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast