Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75gr Gold Dot out of SBR and hunting use

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    I didn't test em on gel, I killed something with em and didn't like the results. I have had excellent luck with the heavy bthp though.
    If you have a few left could you measure the velocity you get from that particular 10.3" barrel? And same for your preferred BTHP?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I'll see if any are left on my workbench. The fc262 and max 223 cfe loads(77gr smk) I can for sure check. I can say all 3 have /had very similar point @100yd.

Also for explanation sake, when I say confused I mean he went stiff and shaky started walking in circles leaking. He had obvious brain damage but didn't just go to sleep like my results from other similar weight bullets in the same gun.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'll see if any are left on my workbench. The fc262 and max 223 cfe loads(77gr smk) I can for sure check. I can say all 3 have /had very similar point @100yd.

Also for explanation sake, when I say confused I mean he went stiff and shaky started walking in circles leaking. He had obvious brain damage but didn't just go to sleep like my results from other similar weight bullets in the same gun.
    This is a technical forum and thats not evidence. Maybe provide pics of the gutted animal showing the damage or at least recovered bullets if you are going to make claims. People read this forum and make purchasing decisions based on the information.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    I'll get some data, but reading through the link you posted it seems I'm not the only one who didn't get the results they expected. I posted this because I know people read this forum to influence buying decisions.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    They were passing through and hitting the dirt/grass behind him.

This is not a question of my understanding of ballistics. This is me saying I watched a pig take a few to the head and "get confused" and eat a few to the vitals before "giving up"

I didn't test em on gel, I killed something with em and didn't like the results. I have had excellent luck with the heavy bthp though.

They were barrier blind to my target
    I dont think we read the same thread. Also barrier blind is a property of the projectile, not something it does. Thats like saying "My bullet was dense to the target."

Barrier blind just means just the bullet performance doesn't degrade heavily if it passes through a barrier before striking the target.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 09-22-21 at 00:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    QUOTE=WS6;2244034]Shot some boneless pork shoulder at 25 yards with my 16.1". Was about 10" of meat, backed by water jugs. This slug punched the meat (haha! Sorry...) and then went through 1 complete jug, and stopped in the second. I was able to shoot this setup twice, with identical results. I found only 1 or 2 specs of lead in the pork shoulder. I think that the earlier test I performed where I had thought the slug had fragmented, I must have hit the board.

Also, as to the expansion testing at reduced velocity, the 55 and 62gr loadings expand very well down to 15-1800fps. I do not think that the 75gr loading is THIS much of an exception. I reviewed some of the other test data that was generated for me by this source, and noted that the 70gr TSX I sent which was fired into gel at an impact velocity of almost 2300fps fps also failed to expand, which lends to my thoughts that it is possible that the consistency of the gel used, may not be 100% representative of what one should expect in all cases.[/QUOTE]

I am saying the bullet was dense to the target.

Perhaps it's behaving like a 160gr 6.5 soft point. Too stable to upset.

While I understand you wanting data I don't know why you want to dismiss a real world result. Tiny little entrance and exit wounds on a pigs body and head. Hardly any blood till I started dragging him.

Gel data is "lab testing" shooting stuff is a "practical test" wouldn't you agree?

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    If you have a few left could you measure the velocity you get from that particular 10.3" barrel? And same for your preferred BTHP?
    No gd left but the ten shot average for the 77gr hp was 2220

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    No gd left but the ten shot average for the 77gr hp was 2220
    I appreciate the data point. Thank you for the info.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Seconded.

Feedback Score
    Wild-ass guess... Would the longer 75gr bullets tumble on impact? (That would be good, as I understand it.)

Berger's stability calculator says their own 73gr boattail is still stabilized as slow as 800fps (!), but that assumes a 7:1 twist.

With a 8:1 twist, they're only marginally stable at 1,700fps.

With a 9:1 twist, they're barely stable at 2,200fps...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast