Thread: Velocity of BR4 primers vs Wolf SRM, 77gr, XBR

Feedback Score

Velocity of BR4 primers vs Wolf SRM, 77gr, XBR

If anyone is curious, I ran a little experiment the other day with my new Labradar! 6 shots were fired at each interval. Cases with 23.3gr and wolf powder just started to show pressure signs, as did cases with 23.2gr and BR4 primers. Despite the graphs showing the BR4 as being faster, I'd say that the pressure signs correlated very well with the velocity, regardless of primer. So in other words, the Wolf cases could take an extra 0.1-0.2 grains and have equivalent pressure and velocity to the BR4 cartridges.
    Groups and SD's seemed to be best around 22.9gr for both powders, but I need to shoot more than 6 shots to get better data. SD's ranged from 5 to 17, with an average around 10. Groups at and around 22.9gr were very good so I will likely stay there, and the SD's seemed to be lowest there as well.

Powder 8208XBR
    77gr TMK
    Case: Norma, New
    Barrel: Centurion 18" with SF SOCOM 556RC
    Velocities are from 15 yards. I did this because that is the distance used in my reloading book by Nosler.
    Temperature.....116F. That isn't a typo. It was Hot AF

The wolf SRM string is missing a data point because I didn't notice the batteries had died. Luckily I brought spares.

SnipBR4vsSRM.JPG

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thank you for this. I use CCI 450s per Onyx and always wondered what using standard primers would do to the velocity. Not sure how Wolf and CCI SRM primers compare, however.
    Why do the loudest do the least?