Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Your Own Defensive Ammo

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Reloading Your Own Defensive Ammo

I know a lot of people that are invested into reloading swear by their own ammo. That it's the most finely tuned ammo trailered to their specific rifles/handguns.

I know that most of the time they measure this performance based on precision and accuracy, usually at greater distances.

Now does anyone load defensive ammo? By the logic above, wouldn't it seem natural that reloaded make their own defensive rounds?

Is it unpopular because the components for making good defensive ammo just not available? Reading these reloading sub forums I see many statements of the form "X bullet is offered in Y brand's factory loads, but the X bullet sold as a reloading component is not made to the same specs".

I forgot where exactly I've seen this, but I think it was in regards to the TSX bullets.

Or do people simply not trust self made ammo for the most serious situations?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    People have always loaded self defense ammo but probably to a lesser extent now than in the past. Some fear having to suffer liability in case of law suit. Others recognize that a wide array of good ammo for this purpose is available. Excellent components are readily available. My opinion is that skill levels vary widely among hobbyists, and many may lack necessary knowledge and technique to load good ammo and elect not to.

Feedback Score
    Lot of people scared of lawsuits.
    If I can get the bullets I want I'll load it.

Feedback Score
    I use Rem. Golden Sabres in .45acp and 9mm to load my defensive ammo. They feed and function fine in all my pistols. No problems in the many years I've been using them. If you have to shoot you're judged on whether it's a good shoot or not (ability, opportunity and jeopardy, etc).

best wishes- oldandslow

Feedback Score
    I reload my own defensive ammo. I use 64 gr Nosler Solid Base for my 16" carbines and 77 gr Nosler CC for my 20" rifle. Biggest reason is the huge cost savings that I can get by loading my own plus I know that it is done right. TSX would also be another great bullet if you want to load your own.

Feedback Score
    I'm newer to reloading, I like to carry sealed ammo and trust good factory ammo more, at least right now.

The tsx thing is only the 50 gr tsx, the optimized bullet is only available in black hills loads iirc. Last I hear you couldn't get it as a component

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Thanks everyone. Yes I understand the whole liability lawsuit thing. I think it's a little "whack", but I get it that some prosecutors would use it against you. Although I think it's one of those cases where if you were to shoot someone in defense, then lawsuits wouldn't be as big of an issue in comparison to what could have happened if the bad guy got his way.

I'm getting into reloading, and will definitely not be loading defensive ammo until I really know what I'm doing. I am trying to get a feel for whether or not to put the time and money into getting some higher priced components for when/if I decide to pursue loading my own defensive rounds.

The bulk of my reloading is going to be for training ammo, but who knows what future availability of certain ammo will be. So I figured maybe to load up some premium defensive rounds to put away.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hornady XTP bullets are available for reloading 9mm, competitors use them for Bullseye and PPC loads. I believe you could develop a good defensive load with the XTP.

As far as criminal liability is concerned, deadly force is deadly force. You can shoot someone with factory loads or reloads, hit them with a claw hammer, run over them with a vehicle, it's all deadly force. If you are justified in the use of deadly force, I can't see reloads being an issue. Maybe someone who can actually cite case law where reloads were an issue will chime in.

My biggest reason for not loading defensive ammunition, is that over the past 35 years I have had more reloads fail to fire than factory loads and I don't want to take a bigger chance on a bad round spoiling my defensive plan.

You can be sued for just about anything in our litigious society and if you use deadly force to defend yourself it would be safe to expect to get sued. I have told hundreds of students to not let the prospect of being sued interfere with their decision to apply deadly force when necessary and justified. I suggest they prepare for when, not if, they get sued during the aftermath.
    Last edited by T2C; 06-10-16 at 19:37.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I definitely load my own Rifle ammo. I pull factory ammo apart to get NEW, crimped brass. Then put my powder and 77 gr OTM into the case. I also have a gun or two that has Black Hills Mk262 factory ammo.

I don't load pistol though. Gold Dots are fine for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This thread reminds me of a similar one here from the past. I stated something to the effect that Winchester and others can load better defense ammo than "we" can so therefore I don't carry reloads. Markm objected and supported his view with hard facts. A week later I opened a brand new box of premium Winchester l.e. 9mm ammo. While loading the mag, I discovered that one round had a severely distorted crimp, which prevented chambering.

Inspecting each round is essential.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast