Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Spitfire AR .....

Feedback Score

Vortex Spitfire AR .....

Really want to try one out before buying and can`t find one anywhere yet . Are/have they been distributed yet ? OpticsPlanet , Brownells , PSA ETC all say pre order . Used the search function , but couldn`t find out anything .

My big problem is astigmatism in my right eye , compounded by the lense that was put in during cataract surgery . So far , all RD optics look like a cluster of grapes . Also plan to try the Trijicon MRO as I`ve heard they aren`t as "bad" as my Aimpoint PRO . Using a 3X magnifier behind it only makes it worse . Last resort may be to go to corrective glasses , but other than the astigmatism ( and cataract surgery on both eyes ) , vision is just over 20/20 . Tried mono vision glasses for my handgun , but it screws up the RD even more .
    I guess another option might be a LPVO , but I`m trying to keep the weight down ...... but if that`s the only thing that will work , I`ll work around the weight .
    Anyway , any idea when the Vortex will be available ? Vortex will only say they are shipping .... or any other suggestions ? PSA is almost local to me... within 50 miles . If all else fails , looks like I`ll learn to become really good with irons .

Thanks

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I think you will find any optic with an etched reticle to be clear. I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x, which is the predecessor to the Spitfire AR. I also suffer the same astigmatism problems you do. For me the Spitfire reticle is crystal clear.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An optic with an adjustable diopter should be able to compensate for astigmatism. This in conjunction with an etched reticle to focus on (rather than reflected light) should lead to as crystal clear of a sight picture as the sight is able to offer.

I too have astigmatism (as well as craptacularly short eyesight) and even with contacts red dots can be starbursts, which is why I did a lot a research into optics and also chose to go with the Vortex SPR 1301 Spitfire 1x (predecessor to the Spitfire AR) over a red dot.

Burris (AR-1X) and Leupold (Tactical Prismatic Rifle Scope) also makes (or made) a 1x prism scope as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    Really want to try one out before buying and can`t find one anywhere yet . Are/have they been distributed yet ? OpticsPlanet , Brownells , PSA ETC all say pre order . Used the search function , but couldn`t find out anything .

My big problem is astigmatism in my right eye , compounded by the lense that was put in during cataract surgery . So far , all RD optics look like a cluster of grapes . Also plan to try the Trijicon MRO as I`ve heard they aren`t as "bad" as my Aimpoint PRO . Using a 3X magnifier behind it only makes it worse . Last resort may be to go to corrective glasses , but other than the astigmatism ( and cataract surgery on both eyes ) , vision is just over 20/20 . Tried mono vision glasses for my handgun , but it screws up the RD even more .
    I guess another option might be a LPVO , but I`m trying to keep the weight down ...... but if that`s the only thing that will work , I`ll work around the weight .
    Anyway , any idea when the Vortex will be available ? Vortex will only say they are shipping .... or any other suggestions ? PSA is almost local to me... within 50 miles . If all else fails , looks like I`ll learn to become really good with irons .

Thanks
    SWFA has it on their website as of today. $250.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If you have an Academy near you it might be worth calling them. The ones I have been in carry Vortex and have them out on the shelves on dummy guns to play with.

Feedback Score
    I will echo what others have said above. I know several people with astigmatism (including me) who have used the Vortex Spitfires. Most red dots appear to be grape clusters to them, and the Vortex Spitfire reticles are perfectly sharp once you get the focus adjusted for your eye.

One thing you may find is that not only will the dot and reticle be clear, you may actually be able to see the targets slightly better too (even though it is 1X) compared to not looking through the optic. I assume this is because of the adjustable diopter, but I am not an optics expert.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Thanks !! I`ll be calling around tomorrow to see if Academy has one in stock I can look at . This info is just what I was looking for ...... again , thanks for the replies .

Feedback Score
    If Academy doesn't work out call Vortex and ask for the names of dealers near you. In my area every gun store for 20 miles around carries Vortex and would be happy to let you try out a Spitfire. I run their glass on all of my rifles.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Recent Astigmatism-induced convert to Vortex.

After visiting multiple stores, the Vortex products were some of the only ones that I had no problems seeing the reticule, and offered features I wanted.

Definitely go put eyeball to glass.

Feedback Score
    Same as everyone else said. Astigmatism + Vortex Spitfire 1x = crystal clear. Way more precise than any of the red dots I have/had; except EOTech maybe.

I got mine for $150 from PSA on some "daily deal". I wish I would have bought 2 or 3 of them but I didn't know I was going to like it so much. I'll likely pickup a couple more when I see a deal like that again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast