Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Spitfire AR .....

Feedback Score
    Just got back from a range session with the Spitfire AR . Long story short , it`s a good optic , but has some shortcomings for me that are making me continue my search . Range was bright sun and 98 degrees this morning and the target was an NRA B8 bullseye at 50 yards . it was easy to get into the black as the center optic circle diameter almost coincided exactly with the B8 bullseye diameter at 50 yards . The problem for me was my groups sucked because the Spitfire dot in the center doesn`t show up on a black target even on the highest intensity setting . Same with the green , except it was a little better/easier to see . Probably my eyes/astigmatism . When I put a 3 x 5 card in the center , the contrast tightened my groups up as I could see the center dot clearly . Switched my Aimppoint PRO to the BCM and even with my astigmatism , the groups tightened up . FWIW . when I put the Spitfire AR back on the BCM , the zero was unchanged , so their mount seems to work ok . Possibly spending more time with it may be what I need , just don`t know .
    Looks like I have several options left .... the Trijicon RMR is supposed to have a more " defined " or sharper dot , so looks like a visit to PSA is in order as they say they have one I can look at . The other possible solution is to see if my astigmatism can be corrected with glasses when I go in for my eye surgery next week .. .
    Too bad as the Spitfire is a neat package .

Bob

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Thanks for the update.

Somewhat surprised to hear the dot intensity was that low.

Compared to the T2, the SPARC AR was distinctly dimmer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    Just got back from a range session with the Spitfire AR . Long story short , it`s a good optic , but has some shortcomings for me that are making me continue my search . Range was bright sun and 98 degrees this morning and the target was an NRA B8 bullseye at 50 yards . it was easy to get into the black as the center optic circle diameter almost coincided exactly with the B8 bullseye diameter at 50 yards . The problem for me was my groups sucked because the Spitfire dot in the center doesn`t show up on a black target even on the highest intensity setting . Same with the green , except it was a little better/easier to see . Probably my eyes/astigmatism . When I put a 3 x 5 card in the center , the contrast tightened my groups up as I could see the center dot clearly . Switched my Aimppoint PRO to the BCM and even with my astigmatism , the groups tightened up . FWIW . when I put the Spitfire AR back on the BCM , the zero was unchanged , so their mount seems to work ok . Possibly spending more time with it may be what I need , just don`t know .
    Looks like I have several options left .... the Trijicon RMR is supposed to have a more " defined " or sharper dot , so looks like a visit to PSA is in order as they say they have one I can look at . The other possible solution is to see if my astigmatism can be corrected with glasses when I go in for my eye surgery next week .. .
    Too bad as the Spitfire is a neat package .

Bob
    Disappointing to hear. I was contemplating getting one due to the etched reticle and my astigmatism. Assuming you dithced the battery that came with it and used a new one? Battery that came with my Sparc was nearly dead. Have you thought about calling Vortex to see what they say?

On a different note, what kind of mount does it use. Is it a new mount type or does a T1/T2 type work?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    TAZ ... didn`t change the battery , but will try that late next week after my eye surgery . What was also interesting , and probably caused by my right eye being so bad , was that when I switched back and forth from red to green , I had to adjust the diopter differently for each color . You`re probably correct on calling Vortex , which I`ll try to get done tomorrow . As far as the mount , the old Spitfire and the new one use different mounts , but don`t know if a T1/T2 type will work . I just checked the sight and the dot intensity is definitely less than the surrounding rings , which is probably by design ( my guess ) . Again , guessing here , the rings allow for fast target acquisition , but accuracy ( for me ) suffers due to the dot not being that visible .
    Looks like I may have to start looking at LPV scopes .

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjack7440 View Post
    Who has the Sparc AR IN STOCK ??
    I emailed SWFA and haven't got a response .
    THANKZ

Sent from my rocket ship using
    My cell'y

We have them in stock.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=SPC-AR1

C4

Feedback Score
    Update to my last post on the Spitfire AR . Replaced the battery with no change to the center dot brightness . Called Vortex and had it explained very well . Prisim scopes use reflected light through the prisim ( obviously ) to the etched recticle . The brightness of the recticle is directly proportionally to the area of the etched surface . Since the dot has a lot less area than the circles , it won`t be as bright . Simple once it was explained to me .
    Long story short , I like this optic , once I quit trying to use the dot . Target acquisition with the rings is fast and with practice , pretty accurate .
    Eye Dr. says I can hit the range this weekend , so I plan some more range time on it . Still want to look at the H2 and the Trijicon RMR before looking at LPV optics .

Feedback Score
    I received my Spitfire AR a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing at the range ever since. My first impression is pretty much as the scope is advertised. It's a really clear and fast tactical scope at short to medium ranges. For someone with older eyes like mine, that's saying something. My old eyes no longer do well with red dots due to slow recovery vision and my progressive lenses, but with this set up it is quick and clear.

Today I shot at 50 and 100yds with great success. I do not turn on the light in clear sunlight, but do use it at the indoor range. I was shooting well under 2 moa at 100 and close to 1 moa at 50yds. The key for me is I can shoot tactically at a full size target at 0-100yds, using only the heavy ring, and I can hit center mass all day long, as long as it's not shootin back at me. In a house, with the scope turned on, at daylight or nightime, I don't know how you could miss your target. As you can tell I'm impressed. The final test will be when I take it to the field for testing. Is it as good as my Leopoldo 3X9 Vari X ll? Heck no, but they have different functionality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is anybody still using one of these and if so can anyone comment on the durability?

I'm thinking about putting one on a backup Sionics 3E and it feels a little chintzy to go on a $1000 carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Is anybody still using one of these and if so can anyone comment on the durability?

I'm thinking about putting one on a backup Sionics 3E and it feels a little chintzy to go on a $1000 carbine.
    I would be happy to give my comments, but I really can't speak to the durability as my AR lives in my safe, and has only been used for practice and fun shooting. The first Spitfire AR I had was sent back to Vortex due to an electronics issue right after I bought it, and they sent me a new one. The next one has been on the gun for a couple of years, and when I got it out to check the battery the electronics had failed again so Vortex sent me another new one. The warranty and service is great, but the scope is still in question. Hopefully others will come back with a better history.

I like the design of the scope, as I mentioned in my original post, but if it fails one more time I will ask Vortex to swap for another model. Although I don't shoot my AR much, when it need it, I really need it to work.

Feedback Score
    I originally posted to this thread in 2016. That same spitfire has been running without issue since. It always holds zero and I think I've only had to change the battery a few times... because I left it on. I think that's the negative on these. If you leave it on, there's no auto shut off and the battery will only last a week or so if left on. However, when I want to maximize precision, I don't use illumination anyway.

Now mind you... I haven't dropped it and have only used it in training at at the range.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast