Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superalloy barrels

Feedback Score

Superalloy barrels

Some time ago, I heard about nickel based superalloys with cobalt based linings being used to make machine gun barrels and tested for some military applications. Today I happened to stumble across this:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016armamen..._Armstrong.pdf

I'm sure it would be overkill for a semi auto AR, but I wonder how likely it would be that these would end up on commercially available rifles down the road. While we're on the subject of superalloys, I also came across a patent from 2012 for John Noveske. It was for an extreme duty machine gun barrel made of H13 tool steel. Pretty tough stuff. This is the same alloy Wilson Combat manufactures their TTU triggers from.

http://www.google.com/patents/US8333029

Thoughts?

Tspeis
    Last edited by Tspeis; 06-16-16 at 21:41. Reason: Grammar

Feedback Score
    Planning on shooting 350 rpm - sustained?

If not, nitriding is adequate and chrome plating is over-kill....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There is an interview out there on the web with John Noveske. These barrels are touched on.

He basically said they were not finically viable. The alloy destroyed tooling. Each barrel had to be sold in the 1000-1500$ range. However they did not last long enough to justify over buying 2-3 of his normal stainless barrels so they never went into full production.

Feedback Score
    What about gas tubes? Those seem to rupture before the barrel during sustained full auto, right? I wonder how that would hold up paired with a Stellite lined barrel and what the cost would be.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What about gas tubes? Those seem to rupture before the barrel during sustained full auto, right? I wonder how that would hold up paired with a Stellite lined barrel and what the cost would be.

Vseven makes an Inconel one for ~60$

http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/c...nment-gas-tube

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Planning on shooting 350 rpm - sustained?

If not, nitriding is adequate and chrome plating is over-kill....
    Negative, but just because my intended application doesn't include sustained full auto fire doesn't mean an alloy more resistant to heat and throat erosion over what's currently available isn't desirable. Some of the larger magnum calibers burn through barrels pretty quick and they're not even gas guns. I understand the price of ammo it would require to burn through a barrel could easily pay for another barrel, but if something better came along at the same price point as current barrels, I'd see no downside to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    There is an interview out there on the web with John Noveske. These barrels are touched on.

He basically said they were not finically viable. The alloy destroyed tooling. Each barrel had to be sold in the 1000-1500$ range. However they did not last long enough to justify over buying 2-3 of his normal stainless barrels so they never went into full production.
    I don't think any H13 barrels were ever sold. Are you sure the interview was about the H13 tool steel barrels and not the 17-4 PH stainless ones? I recall this about the 17-4 PH extreme duty barrels he was doing a while back, but I don't remember seeing anything about the tool steel though. Not saying it isn't out there, I just haven't seen it.

Tspeis
    Last edited by Tspeis; 06-17-16 at 12:23. Reason: Auto correct is killing me

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    17-4PH is an amazing material. I know John Noveske made a 17-4PH barrel for a M249, however I never heard if any other barrels were made from 17-4PH.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Nickel alloys with cobalt alloy liners? sounds like big $$$ to me. Probably could buy at least 2 CHF barrels and quite a few more regular barrels for the increased cost at a SWAG. If you get more than double the life of a CHF barrel then it might be worth it but that seems like a stretch....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm still just waiting for someone to CL a nitrided 41V50 barrel... Seems quite simple enough.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    The new Hodge Defense CHF barrels use a proprietary steel and are claiming to be stronger and more accurate than current military barrel offerings, designed to leverage the hard hitting, but high pressure M855A1 ammunition.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast