Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Crimp is enough?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How much Crimp is enough?

I have a standard set of RCBS dies, do I need the Lee crimping die, or will the RCBS die apply enough crimp to manage?
    I will be loading 5.56 and with various bullet weights and powder charges.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I have a standard set of RCBS dies, do I need the Lee crimping die, or will the RCBS die apply enough crimp to manage?
    I will be loading 5.56 and with various bullet weights and powder charges.
    RCBS dies will put enough crimp on your ammo, in fact you could crush the shoulder if you wanted. I use the Lee die as a separate step. Some of the reasoning for that is that you're not trying to seat the bullet at the same time you're trying to crimp the case mouth into the cannelure. If you already knew this, my apologies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    RCBS dies will put enough crimp on your ammo, in fact you could crush the shoulder if you wanted. I use the Lee die as a separate step. Some of the reasoning for that is that you're not trying to seat the bullet at the same time you're trying to crimp the case mouth into the cannelure. If you already knew this, my apologies.
    I didn't and I thank you for that. I'm starting to reload again after 30+ years.
    So the Lee Die is worth the extra investment and time?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, I think so. Like TomMcC, I always do seating and crimping as distinct operations. I find the results are more consistent this way.

Of course, you could use your RCBS die to do separate seating and crimping operations, but you'd have to reconfigure it between steps which is a hassle. Simpler to have separate dies. Plus, the Lee FCD does a nice job.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn't and I thank you for that. I'm starting to reload again after 30+ years.
    Like kerplode, I think it's worth it for a bit more quality in the reload.

Feedback Score
    You really don't need to crimp provided you have adequate neck tension. That said, I like to crimp when the bullets have a cannelure. If you're going to use a roll crimp (which I believe the RCBS die has), then it's very important that all the cases are trimmed to the exact length so each cartridge ends up with the same amount of crimp. The Lee Factory Crimp Die for Bottle Necked Rifle Cartridges does not impart a roll crimp. It's kind of hard to describe, but the case mouth is actually pressed in parallel to the bullet as opposed to rolled in to it. The "factory" crimp is less sensitive to case length. The Lee FCD provides great results, so I'd give it a big thumbs up.

BTW, the Lee FCD for Straight Walled Pistol Cartridges is an entirely different animal. It basically post sizes the entire cartridge. In my opinion it's a solution for poor reloading practices, so I'd give it a big thumbs down.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. I use the Lee FCD to compensate for not annealing. It works good. I put just enough crimp on the neck to where you can just start to see the marks on the neck.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I don't crimp at all never had a problem. Annealing your brass makes it softer. I also do not anneal my 223 brass to much time involved with as many 223 rounds I go thru. When I do anneal my 6.5 creedmoor brass it requires a great deal less pressure to seat a bullet with freshly annealed brass versus work hardened brass that has been shot several times in between annealings. Your RCBS dies should be able to be set to give you a light crimp if desired.

Feedback Score
    Light lee FCD crimp for my loads. No annealing. Seems to help a bit in lowering SD for good loads.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The only time I use my lee crimp die now is when I'm loading 300 blackout subs and have to flare the case mouth so I don't shave lead. If you gave good neck tension it isn't necessary. Pull apart a round that you crimped if there are marks on the jacket accuracy will suffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast