Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much Crimp is enough?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Seating and crimping in one step is counterproductive. You are seating a bullet and crimping the neck at the same time... these should definitely be two different steps. The LEE die is what, $14? Well worth it IMO.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What about bullets without a cannelure, are you still using the Lee crimp die on those?

Feedback Score
    Bullets with a cannelure are the only ones that I'd use the Lee Factory Crimp die (or any other crimp die) on. A crimp is just security against inadequate neck tension. By doing the push test that bfoosh006 outlined above, you should be able to determine if you have enough neck tension to begin with. If not, then first solve that problem.

Feedback Score
    Little to no crimp for me with rifle rounds............if I do crimp, my seating dies are taper crimp capable, and after I load, I just back the seating stem out, and run the die down a little more and put a light crimp on them.

Pistol rounds all get taper crimped after seating, but just enough to take the bell out of the mouth, prevent excessive set back when chambering a round, and ensure reliable feeding.

Feedback Score
    Rifle rounds, no crimp. Only 300blk because the heavy bullet and not a lot of neck surface area so I crimp to make sure billet doesn't move out during clambering.

Pistol gets crimp, separate from seating. I've been using the lee dies with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    What about bullets without a cannelure, are you still using the Lee crimp die on those?
    I damn sure am. Note that Pappabear and I bought a bunch of 175 gr SMK Mk118 lr pull down bullets that had the crimp dent in the bullet jacket. You could see it with the naked eye. They looked a little rough, but shot every bit as good as bright and shiney, brand new 175 SMKs.

Crimping a "match" round and hurting the bullet/load accuracy is just another example of handloading dogma that I've just found to be flat wrong.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

How much Crimp is enough?

I crimp separately and very lightly, using the LFCD with or without a cannelure.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 07-07-16 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I damn sure am. Note that Pappabear and I bought a bunch of 175 gr SMK Mk118 lr pull down bullets that had the crimp dent in the bullet jacket. You could see it with the naked eye. They looked a little rough, but shot every bit as good as bright and shiney, brand new 175 SMKs.

Crimping a "match" round and hurting the bullet/load accuracy is just another example of handloading dogma that I've just found to be flat wrong.
    I agree, whats a crimp mark going to do to a bullet jacket that rifling won't do as the bullet gets engraved on the way out!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    I agree, whats a crimp mark going to do to a bullet jacket that rifling won't do as the bullet gets engraved on the way out!
    Same with cannalures. The Nosler CC bullets with a fairly deep cannalure shoot just fine. Sierra didn't want to put a cannalure on their 77 SMK, and the one they do have... Ha. I like to joke that it's painted on because it's so thin.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast