Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield EMP4 ?

Feedback Score

Springfield EMP4 ?

Has anyone got to shoot the new emp4 ? I Got to handle one at cabelas and it was very sweet the grip is smaller than the old emp for sure witch would be great for my smaller hands,the checkering and stippling is one of the nicest I've felt . Just hesitate to drop 1,000+ on a new model without some positive feedback.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Springfields warranty is excellent if you ever needed it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I literally just ran (walked might be a better word) 300 rounds through one about two weeks ago. A friend of mine bought one and it was the first time taking it out. The experience was less than stellar to say the least..

We fired two mags through it with nothing but issues. Stovepiping and multiple failures to extract. We figured it was just needing to be broken in. We stripped it, wiped it down, and lubed it with some MPRO7 LPX we had on hand. Even after cleaning and lubing it up it refused to work. The brass had to be punched out with a cleaning rod as it was stuck in the chamber. We had four different shooters, all experienced shooters, try it out and all had the same results. I'm talking one in every 3 rounds was a FTE or stovepipe. We didn't put one single flawless mag through it. Ammo was all 115 gr. brass cased Remington and Winchester white box. We used the same ammo in two VP9's, one Sig 226, and one Beretta 92FS with no issues..

My friend contacted Springfield that day and sent it in. I'm not sure what was wrong with it as I haven't heard from him, but I'll see if I can find out what Springfield said. I do remember searching and there were quite a few with similar issues here recently..

Personally I'd stay far away, especially for that price point.. I've never seen a new handgun fall flat on its face like that before. Too expensive for a range toy and too unreliable for any other use.

The trigger was decent though, I'll give it that..
    Last edited by Rogue556; 06-19-16 at 01:35.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    When it comes to a new model of firearm, particularly pistol, I don't entertain the thought of purchasing one the first year they are released. Seems like you run the risk of being a beta tester.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always wanted to like Springfield's EMP series of handguns. I shot a friend's EMP 9mm a few years ago but it had a few (4-5) failures to eject in the ~50 rounds I personally put through it.

That one experience, along with that which I have heard from others/read on forums, makes me not too fond of it. It really is a nice looking handgun, but the execution is flawed, imho. Too many problems. It's a shame. As I have said, I WANT to like it, but just cannot bring myself to do so..

It seems to me, not much experience with them, that a lot of your 9mm 1911 style handguns, have reliability issues. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was in Cabela's last week and picked one up since they had it on "sale"

Didn't get a chance to shoot it until yesterday.

31 rounds, Herters Brass (S&B), some PMC 115, Federal 124, Aguilla 124, couple of Blazer Aluminum.

Very nice shooting, accurate. However, I did have two light primer strikes on two of the Herters Brass (primer was dented), and a FTRTB on a Herters.

Of course more shooting needs to be done to fully evaluate, but I know my EMP 3" guns have very tight chambers and are picky about OAL. Perhaps the Herters are too long OAL.

Will follow up.

James

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have shot 3-4 of them, and had almost complete opposite experiences with them. One in particular was very good. It was laser-beam accurate, the recoil was very nice, and I never had a problem reliability-wise. The latest one is a range gun we just got right from Springfield. It has had numerous problems with FTE (brass staying in the chamber), regardless of make or model of ammo. Me and two other people shot it for groups, and it was frankly pretty terrible. I usually attribute accuracy issues to myself, but I shot a 92, a Dan Wesson 1911, and my glock at the same distance right after and cut the group down by at least half. I would have to shoot any EMP that I was going to buy for awhile before I actually put the money down on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shot my EMP 4 in local match yesterday. 40 competitors, mostly Double-stack shooters, about 8 SS shooters. I found out a couple of things:

- I loaded 100 rounds of 115gr FMJ under 4.5 WSF (sub-minor load), and they don't cycle in it (not really shocked, should have known better)
    - It ran 100% with some "years old" 115gr FMJ PPU Monarch Brass from Big 5 Sports. (100 rounds fired total for match)

I took 5th overall and first SS. I'm loving this gun.

Waiting on my G10 grips from Stoner Grips - Blue/Black starburst: http://static.wixstatic.com/media/4f...854055f5b6.jpg

James
    Last edited by extremist; 06-26-16 at 10:22.

Feedback Score
    James those grips look awesome are they slim fit like original? And please post a picture if you have time.
    Glad to hear your emp is rockin, looked at the 40s&w offering at a gun shop ,almost talked myself into it but it was a 40 and really want the 9 . But if I wanted to shoot 40 I bet it would handle it nicely?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get the 9, 40s not worth it IMOH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast