Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TULAmmo review

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

TULAmmo review

I recently acquired a franken AR that was built to be used for competition 3-gun. It features Kaiser X7 receivers, a 13" KMR, Daniel Defense 14.5 lightweight, and a surefire MB556. I am a fan of the M855 steel core as my SHTF round so I like to shoot 62gr loads when practicing. Normally I buy Wolf WPA steel case 62gr, but I recently moved all of my gun accessories and ammunition to my parents for my upcoming deployment. Decided to buy three flavors of TULAmmo and see what this new build likes. All shots were from bags on a bench, sitting, elevation 100ft, and it was 90 with 80% humidity. I shot 3 groups of 5 for the 62 gr, and one group of 5 for the 55 and 75. Barrel was allowed 3-5 min to cool between groups. My results are as follows:
    TULAmmo 55gr: 2.49"
    TULAmmo 62gr: 2.75"/2.69"/2.74"
    TULAmmo 75gr: 2.31"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

Interesting that a 14.5" DD cycles Tula. Did you have any malfunctions?

Also I wouldn't place too much bet on POI for Federal M855 and 62gr Tula being the same. The two rounds may weigh the same but other than that they have nothing in common.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-11-16 at 05:43.

Feedback Score
    The only time I've used Tula was a 115gr 9mm box a friend gave me a few weeks back... It jammed my glock. First and last time for Tula.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    The only time I've used Tula was a 115gr 9mm box a friend gave me a few weeks back... It jammed my glock. First and last time for Tula.
    Funny, my P99 and PPQ have had no issues with Tula steel up to hot brass 9mm, this to me is more of a pistol issue than ammo. Finicky glocks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Funny, my P99 and PPQ have had no issues with Tula steel up to hot brass 9mm, this to me is more of a pistol issue than ammo. Finicky glocks?
    I used to shoot a lot of tula, I found the accuracy suprising good in both rifle and pistol. However, the rifle would not cycle in the cold (14.5" mid), and I quit buying it after experiencing a case rupture in the pistol. The fact that my email received no response didn't help, but sw checked my gun out for no charge and even replaced some worn parts, so good on smith.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've only ever had two issues with Tula or any steel case ammo.

1) ...One round needed a second strike from my Glock and 2).... I can't load a full Sig P220 mag using steel case 45acp. Most I can get in is 4 rounds.

Other than those two things I've never had issues with Tula/Wolf/Bear

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I used to shoot a lot of tula, I found the accuracy suprising good in both rifle and pistol. However, the rifle would not cycle in the cold (14.5" mid), and I quit buying it after experiencing a case rupture in the pistol. The fact that my email received no response didn't help, but sw checked my gun out for no charge and even replaced some worn parts, so good on smith.
    To be clear I don't trust the russian steel ammo for anything but plinking, and even that is not worth it given the relative pricing steel/brass. (Steel grendel excepted)

But unlike purists, if possible I want a weapon for SHTF that can shoot junk ammo if needed. I want a warhorse not a show pony.

Feedback Score
    The Russian steel cased always causes my AR to shut down after about 200 rounds.

Handgun ammo is messy but works.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    I've probably fired 5 to 7K rounds of that stuff through my G17 when I was shooting IDPA regularly. Honestly, I never had an issue.
    My AR didn't like the Tula one time, but all it took was a cleaning rod to clear it.
    It's not the flavor of the Month, that's for sure, but there was a time when that was pretty much all that was left available.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalkald View Post
    The Russian steel cased always causes my AR to shut down after about 200 rounds.

Handgun ammo is messy but works.
    Is there some sort of coating on the rifle ammo?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've shot this low end stuff. Never had any problems with it. So for plinking I'd shoot it.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast