Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9c for CCW

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

M&P 9c for CCW

Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on the M&P 9c for daily CCW.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield regularly for a few years now but have recently been thinking of upgrading to something with a little more capacity. From what I've gathered the M&P 9c is similar in size to the Shield, basically a double stack version of it...and I like that the 9c can accept the fullsize M&P9 magazines, giving me the ability to carry a 17 round reload.

Unfortunately from my internet searches Ive been reading a lot of negatives about the pistol, primarily its trigger - is it really as bad as some people say? I'm no expert shooter, I just want a simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to.

Just looking for some honest feedback. And for anyone who does carry one, any recommendations on AIWB holsters that work well for you?

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    If you find the trigger to be problematic, adding an Apex sear and striker block will fix that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blstr88 View Post
    Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on the M&P 9c for daily CCW.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield regularly for a few years now but have recently been thinking of upgrading to something with a little more capacity. From what I've gathered the M&P 9c is similar in size to the Shield, basically a double stack version of it...and I like that the 9c can accept the fullsize M&P9 magazines, giving me the ability to carry a 17 round reload.

Unfortunately from my internet searches Ive been reading a lot of negatives about the pistol, primarily its trigger - is it really as bad as some people say? I'm no expert shooter, I just want a simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to.

Just looking for some honest feedback. And for anyone who does carry one, any recommendations on AIWB holsters that work well for you?
    Everything in the M&P line is generally GTG. The trigger is not a strong point of the design (but gotten better with each gen), and many will add an Apex kit to it. People whine about everything and anything. If you're rec is "simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to" you found it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I carried the M&Pc since they were first released and then moved to a Shield a couple of years ago. Out of the box, the M&Pc would likely have an even better trigger from a 'pull weight' standpoint. My Shield trigger was something stupid, around 8lb - now fixed with APEX parts. Both are great guns, the Shield obviously is thinner and more comfortable/concealable.

As mentioned, APEX goodies can cure any trigger issues... with that said, I would guess a stock M&Pc would have a better trigger than what you are currently used to on your Shield.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I own and carry a S&W Shield, M&P9c, and a M&P9. They all get carried based on my attire and/or where I will be. I always carry the largest one I can. I most often end up carrying the compact. It is a good compromise between compact size and firepower. Slightly smaller than a G19 yet larger than a G26. It is the newest manufacture (Feb 2016) of the 3 and I will say that it has the best trigger. That being said I have oredered Apex trigger fss kits for the 9 and 9c. I hope to wring a little more accuracy out of them by this upgrade. I haven't decided if I will do anything with the shield trigger yet, which happens to have the heaviest perceived pull of the 3 pistols. For an aiwb holster I have experience with the G-Code and Dale Fricke Designs. Both are gtg. I agree with WillBrink about the whiners. Try to put your hands on one and shoot it. Good Luck.
    Last edited by jdgiii; 06-27-16 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    m&p 9-c is better out of the box than any shield PERIOD

I have carried them all.

9-c with an apex is damn near the perfect gun if u cant carry a 1911.

take the spare mag, add an arrendono extension
    'add the full length spring from the full size m&p 9mm.
    30 rds in a small pkg. carry every day in a galco shoulder rig

life is good

carbine 357
    Last edited by carbine357; 06-27-16 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine357 View Post
    m&p 9-c is better out of the box than any shield PERIOD

I have carried them all.

9-c with an apex is damn near the perfect gun if u cant carry a 1911.

take the spare mag, add an arrendono extension
    'add the full length spring from the full size m&p 9mm.
    30 rds in a small pkg. carry every day in a galco shoulder rig

life is good

carbine 357
    I could not disagree with this statement more. You can't call it "better out of the box than any Shield PERIOD" when the M&P9c trigger is garbage from the factory. The Shield is superior right out of the box in everything except for capacity. The 9c is a compromise gun, and I personally regretted buying one, so I sold it at a loss.

It feels bulkier to me than the full-size (I know, that is probably just me), and I never shot it close to as well as I did the full size, or the Shield for that matter. My least favorite Smith by a million miles. YMMV.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I could not disagree with this statement more. You can't call it "better out of the box than any Shield PERIOD" when the M&P9c trigger is garbage from the factory. The Shield is superior right out of the box in everything except for capacity. The 9c is a compromise gun, and I personally regretted buying one, so I sold it at a loss.

It feels bulkier to me than the full-size (I know, that is probably just me), and I never shot it close to as well as I did the full size, or the Shield for that matter. My least favorite Smith by a million miles. YMMV.
    That was the biggest surprise to me. I have had 3 M&P, including the dreaded first gen FS 9mm, that gave me zero problems. I fully expected the Shield to be just a single stack M&P, and such is not the case. The trigger is heavy, but smooth, clean break, and a reset no out of the box M&P can match. I was really surprised by that. As it was CCW mostly appendix, I kept the heavy stock trigger considering other than heavy, it was GTG. I don't know what the design differences are internally, but sure have give S&W credit where it's due for clearly not just shrinking down an M&P. Any tech savvy types tell us what the internal differences are between them?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive got all 3(FS, C, and Shield). Carried them all. They all have ended up in different roles.

FS is my range/comp gun. Started with Apex DCAEK and Warren Tactical sights. Carried like this for ~2 years in a Super Tuck. Swapped to Apex FSS trigger and Dawson fiber sights(fiber front, black rear).

C now has the DCAEK and the Warren Tactical sights. It sits in my in car safe in my daily driver with 2 spare full size mags. Shoot it once a year and give it a cleaning.

Shield is stock, but I need to get sights and and apex kit for it. Daily carry since spring 2013. Shoot it every 6 months. 8+1 in the gun and 8 round spare. Carried in a LaTour Customs holster since day 1. I dont feel under-gunned in 99% of daily situations.

When I feel I need more gun I will carry an H&K P30 or HK45 as I dont like carrying the full size M&P with the FSS trigger and non night sights.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like it would at least be worth it for me to check out.

Im certainly not planning to fully replace my Shield for CCW, in warmer months with a light T-shirt on it's hard to beat the conceal-ability of that single stack 9...but I live up in NH where it's very common to at least be wearing a heavy wool shirt/sweat shirt...often a full on winter coat. In those situations where it's easy to carry anything I want to have a similar setup as my Shield with + ammo capacity.

Thanks again for the info, I think I'll search around and pick one up to give a go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast