Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with pinned gas block.

Feedback Score

Help needed with pinned gas block.

I did my first pinned gas block today, and everything went fine until I reamed out the hole. I'm still not sure how it happened, but I reamed out the hole too large, and the taper pin sits about .5 cm too far into it. Thus, it doesn't get full purchase on the far side. I have no doubt that it will hold until the end of time, but it irritates me. Not to mention it would preclude me from ever selling the gun.

Can I fix this with a larger (longer) taper pin? It's a .625 size taper pin, so could I possibly just use a .750 size taper pin? I just need the pin to be a little longer on the big end.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I think the size pin is 2/0 but don't bet on it. If it is 2/0 you can get pins up to 1 1/4-1 1/2" long. Make sure the delivered big end diameter is larger than what you have. Cut/grind to fit.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    What taper did you ream the hole to? 2/0? Also, can you measure the diameter of the small ans large ends?
    Last edited by elephantrider; 07-08-16 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for replying gentlemen. Yes, the taper pin is 2/0. Do you have an online source for a 1.5'' 2/0 taper pin?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#taper-dowel-pins/=136xdvw

Hope that will link to the right page.

Hardware stores, particularly the classic locally owned variety, sometimes stock taper pins as well if you don't plan on repeating this several times.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 07-08-16 at 07:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#taper-dowel-pins/=136xdvw

Hope that will link to the right page.

Hardware stores, particularly the classic locally owned variety, sometimes stock taper pins as well if you don't plan on repeating this several times.
    Thanks bud. No, don't plan on doing it again. Measure twice, cut once...

BTW, for anyone who is planning on doing this, the difference between proper fit and way too freaking big equals about two turns of that little taper pin reamer.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have some .75" stainless 2/0 pins, that I picked up from Mcmaster-Carr, sitting here. If you know your diameter on your large end, these might me a little larger on the large end and sit evenly in the hole as you have it reamed now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    I have some .75" stainless 2/0 pins, that I picked up from Mcmaster-Carr, sitting here. If you know your diameter on your large end, these might me a little larger on the large end and sit evenly in the hole as you have it reamed now.
    My large end diameter is .14''.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    My large end diameter is .14''.
    OK, mine are the same, so they probably wont help you. They would just stick out more on the narrow end.

Looks like the 2/0 pins that McMasterr-Carr carries all have a 0.141" diameter large end as well, so they probably wont help you either.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 07-08-16 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all standard taper pins have the same taper rate? So I could theoretically use just about any inch based taper pin that was long enough? I'm thinking of just ordering a 4'' #2 taper pin and cutting off whatever hangs out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast