Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ruger SR556C at 10,000 Rounds. A Photo Essay.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the write up. I plan to get an SR556 eventually. Very nicely equipped rifle for the price. I wonder if you had the chrome lined barrel of the regular SR if it might look better? How often do you swab the barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to start running a patch every hundred rounds or so. Or at least pull a bore snake through. Curious now to start watching for a serious decline in accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I note with some disappointment that Ruger appears to have dropped the piston guns from their lineup. This includes both the 556 and 762 models.

I suppose the move isn't too surprising given the current AR market. Piston guns, although still serving a place, are no longer really a "thing." Also, the market still seems to be fairly saturated with ARs and there are still good deals to be had even nearly three years into the Trump administration. Add to these the fact that Ruger had decided to put all its eggs in one basket (changing the SR556 into an even more expensive takedown model) and the writing was on the wall.

I still think Ruger has a place in the piston gun market. If I worked there and/or could advise the product team I'd tell them to make a more affordable gun. Ditch the QD barrel and return to the original pattern. Lighten the barrel profile and use an MLOK forend. Use nitride finish on the internals to help lower costs. If they could build such a gun and have it sell for $900ish I think it would do alright.

Anyway, not much new on my particular sample with round count. I haven't had it out to the range in awhile. I still enjoy shooting it but have other stuff that takes most of my attention these days.

Last edited by Tokarev; 08-20-19 at 06:18.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was over at Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown, Ky the other day. Noticed they had an SR556 still on their rifle rack display that has to have been there for several years. Believe the tagged price was $1100+. Only one I have ever seen anywhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the review.

What did you use for oil?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Thanks for the review.

What did you use for oil?
    Nothing really special. Fire Clean mostly. Maybe a little old fashioned Break Free CLP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Was over at Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown, Ky the other day. Noticed they had an SR556 still on their rifle rack display that has to have been there for several years. Believe the tagged price was $1100+. Only one I have ever seen anywhere.
    I think they were one of the companies to do a YouTube "torture test" on the SR762. If it is the review I'm thinking of the guy tossed the rifle in the mud with the bolt locked back and/or dust cover open. The test ended about like you'd expect...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345