Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vltor A5 Setup for Multiple Uppers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    According to Vltor the A5-3, and A5-4 buffers were created with suppressed and piston driven guns in mind. That having been said, there is no reason why they could not be used on a overgassed upper to help slow it down. That would be a band-aide use for the buffer however. When dealing with a suppressed gun, the -4 buffer is not over-buffering the gun.
    The -4 works in everything I've tried it with, so far. Including my 16.1" middy, and another new DDM4 16.1" middy. DD uses a 0.073" gas port on those guns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The -4 works in everything I've tried it with, so far. Including my 16.1" middy, and another new DDM4 16.1" middy. DD uses a 0.073" gas port on those guns.
    This has been my experience as well, from SR-15s to 6920s to factory and homemade SBRs, suppressed and unsuppressed, the A5H4 has never let me down.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Yup, wouldn't disagree with that either. The -3, and -4 aren't over-buffered for most non-suppressed guns either, as the experiences posted in this thread convey. I've tried the -3, but not the -4.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    My A5 buffer says "VLTOR A5 PAT PEND"

I bought it like 6 years ago. Anyone have any guesses what it might be? A5H2?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

That is an A5H2.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Yup. They are still labeled this way, more or less. The buffer/spring kit that I just bought is labeled "A5, Vltor, PAT #__________, OTHER PAT PENDING"

Feedback Score
    I have more than a few A5 combos that won't support an A5H2 without a can. I have more than that that won't support the A5H4 without a can. The exceptions are not unicorns. There's plenty of stuff out there gassed pretty hard, some not so much. For myself, I tend to like the lighter ported options over the harder gassed ones.

Feedback Score
    That gets to my question. Is there a benefit to setting an adj gb to the 4 vs 2 buffer?

Feedback Score
    For a matter of convenience, the A5H4 setting is probably better than what they may have used before. That does not mean the A5H4 porting is really best, just better for some from their own perspective on prior combinations. That is not a negative in intent, it can be truly better than what they had before. There's many combo's out there.
    For most, you really do not need more than an A5H2 for function. The A5H4 can mask by overlap in function for many combinations. That does not mean that the A5H4 is better over other possibilities. You can further widen the span of function using a dedicated mass to that need for that porting. If you make a base on the highest mass of function, you lose options that would drive the system higher into issues with options, like a possible can and/or ammo.
    If variables like a possible can addition and or different port pressure ammunition may happen, you can tailor the reciprocating mass for that or those options if you are not at the normal limit of mass in either direction. You achieve a wider span of operation for those circumstances. Sure an A5H4 based combo may work better than an A5H0 for a wide variable, it does in this system. That fixed mass system is still inferior to a more tailored system by a margin.
    Oversized gas ports restricted by possible adjustable gas blocks aren't preferred for long term use. Oversized ports erode the barrel at the port no matter what the further down restriction in flow may be. Wire drawing by high pressure gasses for erosion depends on the gas cutting from escaping gasses at the base of the bullet. The action in drive may be restricted by the additive function of that gas reduction, the port erosion is related to the base port in the barrel in general.
    I prefer specific porting with mass options available over the adjustable gas block and those fixed masses for many reasons beyond these cited examples.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 07-11-16 at 18:05. Reason: forgot "those" in the last paragraph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12