Thread: 16" OAL barrel longest muzzle devices

Feedback Score

16" OAL barrel longest muzzle devices

Just brainstorming an upper right now but my question is what muzzle devices can I use to achieve an OAL of 16" with a barrel shorter than 14.5"? For instance I know Noveske 13.7" with a Pig works but I don't want to spend $600, what other barrel and muzzle device combos work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    Just brainstorming an upper right now but my question is what muzzle devices can I use to achieve an OAL of 16" with a barrel shorter than 14.5"? For instance I know Noveske 13.7" with a Pig works but I don't want to spend $600, what other barrel and muzzle device combos work?
    10.5" barrel with 5.5" muzzle device off the top of my head if I'm understanding your desire corectly.

OOS, but quick half arsed google search result:
    https://www.veriforcetactical.com/pr...ider-for-ar15/

Feedback Score

Well that's extreme but kinda the right idea. More to the point, for instance the Surefire muzzle devices are 2.67" but once screwed onto the barrel add less than their overall length to the barrel. My question wasn't simply for the longest muzzle device possible, but if I attach something like the Surefire I don't want a 17" OAL barrel. Battlecomp 1.5 pinned to a 14.5" barrel is 16.1", obviously it is more than 1.5". I'm just trying to get ideas of what people around here have done without getting into the ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    trying to get ideas of what people around here have done without getting into the ridiculous.

You have to define what is ridiculous for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    BE Meyers 249F. If they only made it in Titanium.
    Last edited by GH41; 07-10-16 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How 'bout this. Tanktop, you decide what barrel length you actually want, and then search for muzzle devices of appropriate length to permanently attach to it for it to be 16", should you not decide upon 16" from the start so you can forgoe this whole process.

Sbould you run into trouble along the way, here are some fantastic links to help you along. The test results could be very helpful for you as well for making your decision.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...vice-shootout/
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ke-shootout-2/
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ider-shootout/

Some member on this forum will argue the testing was not subjective enough, not showing how much each rifl/muzzle device combo shoved a 5'6" 120lb woman versus a 6'1" 200lb male as one example. I disagree with this line of testing, as previosly mentioned, it is much too subjective, but I also do freely admit that this testing is not scientifically infallible either. Use at your own discression.

Should you still need help after all that, feel free to ask, but please be more specific in what you are asking.

Take care, hope this helps and good luck.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-10-16 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    Some of the more performance oriented compensators would help you reach the legal length with a sub 14.5" barrel.

Armalite sells a new tuneable brake of their own design. It makes 16" installed on a 13.5" barrel, and they sell uppers pinned and welded that way.

I comps like the rolling thunder and SJC Titan are closer to 3 inches, and I have seen the Titan pinned and welded on a 13.7 barrel where a shooter told me it was compliant, but it isn't something I measured myself.

I believe someone mentioned it above, but remember you can't use OAL of barrel plus OAL of muzzle device. The thread interface reduces the effective OAL relative to the sum of the OALs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    I believe someone mentioned it above, but remember you can't use OAL of barrel plus OAL of muzzle device. The thread interface reduces the effective OAL relative to the sum of the OALs.
    I brought it up, that was one of the main reasons for the question. Mainly wondering what others here use to achieve a 16" OAL. Thanks for your input!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 13.7 + BE Myers is the setup I went with and I really enjoy it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ken livingston View Post
    The 13.7 + BE Myers is the setup I went with and I really enjoy it.
    Big +1 I love that setup