Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Feedback Score

Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

How would you rank the guns 1-4 in the categories of accuracy and reliability?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

Glock has been tested the most and I'd say is easily number one. I'd put the VP9 as second. It has some stuff that a lot of people really like and H&K is known for accurate and reliable pistols, but it's a newer platform so not as large of a sample size there. M&P after that. Their newer ones are decent, but they did have some concerning issues a few years ago and even their new triggers are meh. No experience with the Sig so I can't comment on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

Which 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi391 View Post
    I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

How would you rank the guns 1-4 in the categories of accuracy and reliability?
    Best advice is to rent, or borrow all of the pistols listed and then make an informed decision.

Regarding reliability and accuracy, the Glock 17 is by far the most proven of the four.

As for accuracy, if the pistol is for self-defense or duty use then any of the models listed would suffice.

For target shooting, the HK would likely be the most accurate. That said several Glock model pistols exhibit almost match grade accuracy.

Choosing a pistol is a very personal decision which may vary due to hand size, style of grip, grip angle of pistol, etc.

What would I choose? The Glock or VP9.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If I was starting from scratch I'd go glock. Period, no bs. For me it's simple logistics. Parts are cheap and it's even simpler to work on the gun itself. Same thing with mags.

P320 would be a close second. Great trigger and superior ergos. It just feels good to shoot. Downside parts availability is not as good as glock and mags are pricey.

M&P is next. The full size 9 I had was the most natural pointing pistol I've owned. With just a poly AEK trigger in it trigger pull was respectable. Accuracy sucked however, as wake alluded too. The newer ones are supposed to be markedly improved but the triggers are still meh. A little work and they can be good though.

Last, vp9. Solid gun and Hood trigger. Needs nothing out of the box really. Parts and mag costs are a bit of a downer. Enough so that I didn't see it as a platform worthwhile of investment. I love the HK mag release but I've spent to many years using a standard mag release that I didn't trust myself to manipulate it under stress.

I see it this way too. Your handgun is a secondary system next to your rifle. As such I see it as simpler the better. Glocks are simple and cheap and with that simicity there is increased reliability IMO.
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-16-16 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, of the 4 it would be which one fit your hand better and how much modularity and safety comfort level do you want. Plus what will be the primary purpose for the gun, carry gun, competition, or range toy. Example being, the Sig 320 is new and relatively unproven compared to the G17, but does offer a variety of options as far as frame/grip replacement. The 320's trigger is uncomfortable from a safety standpoint for some people.

The M&P line does offer a manual safety model that is somewhat similar to a 1911 in function. But most here don't like the manual safety models. Plus a lot of people here buy an M&P and end up putting a lot of APEX parts in the guns. There are a bunch of threads here on that subject. The VP9 is another fine weapon. Sights, holsters ect will not be as plentiful as the G17. I've owned H&K pistols, they're nice guns. I ended up carrying and shooting Glocks and CZs because the H&K didn't do anything the others wouldn't do.

For me it would be Glock, M&P, H&K, then Sig.

Feedback Score
    Starting from scratch and only judging what you get out of the box I'd have to rank them: VP9, P320, G17, M&P9.

We currently have a VP9 and P320 at my house. Of the two I strongly prefer the VP9. For me it fits my hands better, front sight tracks easier in rapid fire, a little more accurate so far, and it is more nicely made. The cost of magazines between the two is pretty much a wash. The P320 wins on versatility due to the modular design. For what you get out of the box though, the HK wins on attention to detail.

The G17 is a fine pistol, but given equal exposure to both the G17 and VP9, I shoot the VP9 better and the P320 about the same as a G17. The Glock out of the box will need different sights immediately adding to start up cost. On the plus side accessories are plentiful and cheap. I would also do some upgrades to the trigger, but that is a personal choice, current Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks have decent triggers just heavier than I like.

The M&P9 has a trigger that is atrocious out of the box, and the history of accuracy problems leaves me very reluctant to bother with one.

I essentially started from scratch on striker fired pistols within the last few weeks, up to this point I've only owned hammer fired pistols. Looking at it objectively with no investment in any of the platforms, or even the 9×19 Luger, I picked what worked best for me, and that is the VP9. My wife likes her P320 so she got that. I could have been happy with a G17 too, but the VP9 is the better pistol for me out of the box and the aftermarket is catching up. Frankly the way my VP9 shoots I'm reluctant to even change the sights out, the stock sights are perfectly regulated and hit to the top of the front sight out to 50 yards with 124gr ammo.

Now if you want to tinker and throw aftermarket parts at the pistol then: G17, M&P9, VP9, P320.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've owned the Glock and the M&P9 (sold them), currently own and shoot the VP9 and I also have a Wallther PPQ.

The Glock had, at best, a mediocre trigger, as well as erratic ejection and "acceptable accuracy.. The M&P required a DCAEK to have even an acceptable trigger, required a new Storm Lake barrel to have even acceptable accurany.

Both the VP9 and the PPQ are outstanding firearms. The grip on both departs from the "block of wood" concept from Glock and S&W. Both are superbly constructed, reliable, extremely accurate, and have good aftermarket support. The triggers on both are what sets them apart from the mediocre striker fired guns from Glock and S$W. I and generally torn between the PPQ and VP9, but find myself using the VP9 most often.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This all really depends on your preferred usage. All of the aforementioned guns will be combat accurate. The Glock has a history of boring reliability. The M&P shorter, but much the same. The VP9 and PPQ are both relatively new on scene, so it will be proven over time.

The PPQ especially and the VP9 to a lesser extent have incredible triggers for striker fired guns. Neither will match a hammer fired gun in SA, though the PPQ is quite close. Mags (which should be priority number 1 as far as parts availability) are quite expensive for the VP9, little less for the PPQ, relatively good for the M&P, and widely availabile and cheap for the Glock.

The Glock by far has the best aftermarket support and factory parts are widely available and priced well. M&P would be second (just a few gotchas with older ones) with the other two a pretty distant third and fourth. The brick grip of the Glock really shouldn't bother a 1911 shooter.

Realistically any will serve you fine...definitely try and hold them all and if you can get out and shoot them that would be all the better?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Could any of you comment on the Steyr M9A1? I'm in AL and they are all over around here.

Feedback Score
    What's important to you in a gun?

Sights? Glock and M&P have every option out there and the Sig and VP9 are slightly more limited.

Trigger? You can mod a Glock or M&P trigger to anything you want. With a Glock this takes some time and thought considering all the options. M&P just go with APEX.

Overal Cost? Take the options

Holster configuration? Most of these guns have plenty of holster options but depending on what you want to carry say a RC Eidolon Glock may be the only game in town.

Size and how it affects you carrying the gun if you plan to carry? Depending on the Clothes I'm wearing my PPQ which is larger conceals better than my Glock 19. With other cloths it doesn't but the shape of the grip works with one sweater I have while the Glock does not. Glock works better with everything else. I even have a tight fitting T-shirt my Glock19 conceals better in than my Glock 43 in a similar style holster. With every other T shirt the 43 works better. I can conceal a M&P FS easier than a 17 based off of the grip. There are minor characteristics of the guns that may or may not be affected with your body and style of dress.

I personally like glock and the bore axis/tang area. The ergos of the glock tang are superior for myself when getting a high grip. The PPQ and VP become uncomfortable when getting a high grip. I've ground the Beavertail off of my M&P since I draw with my thumb on top of the slide. I also can't get as high on the grip with my hands. Your experience may differ.

I really think you're over thinking this. Unless one of the things I mentioned above is a consideration just get what feels the best.

If you're really having a hard time get the glock as it's the lowest common denominator. They are also insanely easy to sell if you don't like it. M&Ps seem to take more of a depreciation dive.
    Owner of Harry's Holsters
    www.HarrysHolsters.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast