Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Your Carry Weapon

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I don't remember the last time I cleaned my carry G19...I guess that means it's time to clean it?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I clean my edc after every range trip, which is only about twice a month. In the off change that I haven't shot my edc for whatever reason, I would clean it after 2-3 months with compressed air (blow job) and re-lube.

Feedback Score
    I clean my gun after shooting supressed, just because I dont want to stain my light colord shirts. If lint causes a malfunction, there are issues.

I've carried my pistol for 6mo without cleaning and it still looked clean inside and out.

Feedback Score
    I was always told not to lube your carry gun, unless you are shooting it at the range. The oil attracts lint and debris and causes it to gunk up the gun. You can just unload it and blow compressed air through to get the lint off. A glock will run a long time without lube. It's not good for it, but if you're forced into a self defense situation, a little extra wear and tear on your gun is the least of your worries

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I shoot my carry gun about once a month..

I run a few mags through it then clean it and lube it very lightly while at the range. Then I fire a few rounds to check for function, load it back up with carry ammo and holster it.

It might seem a bit excessive but I carried a non functional gun around for about 3 weeks a few years ago after I missed a part that fell to the carpet when reassembling it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Coldgoose- I started with a longer reply, but will just say: that's ridiculous. Clean and lube per the user manual.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If I shoot it, I wipe it down inside and out. Not complete tear down. Reload and roll. Recently, I saw where sweat created some buil up. So I wiped it off with rem oil. And now I roll. I dont over clean or not clean. Balance is the key to life.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Function tests for glock as they see use. This assumes a gun that has proper engagement (trigger bar/firing pin lug) and working drop safety. I use orange slide cover for that.

1. Clear and make empty
    2. Clean. verify barrel free of obstructions
    3. Verify front and rear sight screws in place (not missing or loose/falling out)
    4. Verify front sight alignment (not damaged/bent)
    5. With firing pin rearward, press on back of firing pin lug. Firing pin should not move forward
    6. Depress firing pin safety with slide angled down, firing pin should move forward
    7. Pull slide stop lever up. It should snap back down
    8. Lube and reassemble. leave unloaded and empty
    9. Try to pull slide lock lever downwards. It should not move
    11. Press on sides of trigger (but not center) while moving rearward to verify trigger safety function
    12. Start to press trigger normally, verify trigger safety moves out of the way
    13. Pull trigger / dry fire and keep trigger back. shaking gun should hear the firing pin moving freely
    14. Trigger still back, push the rear of the slide forward. It should not move
    15. Still holding trigger, point muzzle upwards at 45 degrees. pull slide to rear and release very slowly. Should chamber fully with strong enough recoil string
    16. Insert empty magazine. Pull slide forcibly to rear. Should lock back
    17. Press magazine release. Mag should drop free
    18. Use your rifle

I will add anything that's missing just let me know Glockers. Others w more experience always.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I mainly always cleaned after use, but noticed the fuzzy bore and figured I'd see what you all had to say.

Feedback Score
    I clean my G30s about every other range trip, and will lube with some Slip 2000 after every trip. It can certainly go longer without being cleaned but, because it's a carry gun, I'd rather be safe than sorry. As far as crud on the exterior, do yourself a favor and pick up some Tuf Glide. My gunsmith, who I'd trust with my life and firearms, put me on to it. It's sort of a cleaner, but is more so a protectorate. I wipe my carry guns down once a week with this stuff. Makes them look like new and does a great job of shielding them from the elements. If I sweat a lot on a given day, get caught in the rain, etc I will break the once a week cadence and treat as needed. As far as application, I spray a soft microfiber cloth a couple times and then use it to wipe everything down. I found a 4 pack of them in the kitchen section at Walmart for about $5 and they work wonderfully. No lint or streaks left behind. I'll even run a few passes inside and outside my holsters. I feel like the holster is the one thing many overlook. Any dirt/dust that collects in there can act as an abrasive when drawing and holstering. It likely won't gouge your firearm, but it can cause some small scratches.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast