Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Your Carry Weapon

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdGOOSE1974 View Post
    I was always told not to lube your carry gun, unless you are shooting it at the range. The oil attracts lint and debris and causes it to gunk up the gun. You can just unload it and blow compressed air through to get the lint off. A glock will run a long time without lube. It's not good for it, but if you're forced into a self defense situation, a little extra wear and tear on your gun is the least of your worries
    That is not a valid concern. I live and carry in the desert. It is often VERY hot and dusty here. I lube heavy because I shoot far more often than I clean. I usually clean about every 1000 rounds or so, but I lube after I shoot. My experience has ALWAYS been: guns will run dirty, as long as they are well lubed. I have taught somewhere around 200-250 recruits this year on the range. The number one mistake I see is a lack of lube on weapons.

Please lube it up. It'll run fine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I clean my Glock 43 EDC a couple times a month after I shoot it. My G22 gets cleaned once a week wether it needs it or not as that's my duty weapon. I don't worry about fuzz with a plastic gun.

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    I think this has been covered before.

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute’s warning.
    Robert Rogers CIRCA French and Indian War 1757

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robe..._of_Ranging%22

And yes I do clean my carry guns as needed, and at least every other day get wiped down.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 08-04-16 at 00:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Occasionally and eventually. Most of the time I use an air gun to blow out the lint and fuzz.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arbninftry View Post
    I think this has been covered before.

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute’s warning.
    Robert Rogers CIRCA French and Indian War 1757

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robe..._of_Ranging%22

And yes I do clean my carry guns as needed, and at least every other day get wiped down.
    Nice, way to make a point hit home!
    "One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistence, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress" --- John Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Coldgoose- I started with a longer reply, but will just say: that's ridiculous. Clean and lube per the user manual.
    Ridiculous is a strong word, with no explanation. Perhaps I could agree with your point of view if you explained why my practice is wrong.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wasn't going to reply initially.

But, these threads can usually be summarized into a couple points:
    1) Lubing is done at the user's discretion. There is no "measurable" (at least to the common consumer without advanced measuring tools) ability when it comes to "How much lube works best."
    ----In the end, this will come down to user preference and cleaning styles. Ultimately, every firearm is a little different in that there is a "Acceptable" range of how much oil to use without using too little, or too much.
    -----This "range" will change for each gun. A picky pocket pistol might have low "tolerance"/"Range" for being over oiled or under oiled, where a common Quality Service Pistol, may run with little to no lube, up to as much as dripping with lube.

2) Make sure you're checking your styles for functionality.
    ----When it comes down to what we CCW, it's just that, it's what we carry. In other words, what works for me, may not work for Joe down the block. Even with the same model pistol, out of the same manufacturing batch.
    -----Joe runs his pistol somewhat dirty, cleans it every 500-1000 rounds, he leaves it nice and wet oiled regularly. So long as Joe makes sure his pistol is GTG regularly while using this style, more power to them. John cleans his carry religiously. Anytime it is fired, even a single magazine, it gets a nylon brush/solvent and patches, and a good carbon removal with a toothbrush. He lightly oils it, leaving a good film, and as long as he is checking that oil regularly (through his religious cleaning method) and verifying that all is GTG, more power to them.

I see no real difference in these situations. I may be a religious cleaner, I wipe mine down every couple days just to help protect from sweat, holster wear, etc. But I certainly won't knock anyone for having a different method. As long as it works!

Just my 2 dollars on the topic.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 08-04-16 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I was always told not to lube your carry gun, unless you are shooting it at the range. The oil attracts lint and debris and causes it to gunk up the gun. You can just unload it and blow compressed air through to get the lint off. A glock will run a long time without lube. It's not good for it, but if you're forced into a self defense situation, a little extra wear and tear on your gun is the least of your worries
    If lint is binding up your carry gun, then you've chosen a terrible carry gun.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Ridiculous is a strong word, with no explanation. Perhaps I could agree with your point of view if you explained why my practice is wrong.
    I will say the only two pistols that I've seen that wouldn't run were dry. A squirt of clp fixed them.

Would not shoot more than 3 or 4 rounds before choking. After lube, ran a couple hundred without issue. Lint will not cause your gun to choke, at least in my experience.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I was always told not to lube your carry gun
    I wouldn't take any firearms advice from whoever told you that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast